Afraid of the Dark

It Started With a Scream...

“Aaaaahhhhhh!” I screamed as loudly as I could, only stopping when I heard my dad appear at my door. After turning on the light he walked towards me with droopy eyes.

“It’s alright, Isabelle, it was just a dream.” He yawned as he gave me a hug.

“No Daddy, I really saw something!” I cried as fresh tears crawled down my face.

“Shh…It’s okay honey.” Daddy said softly as he rubbed away my tears. “There’s nothing here, I promise.” He said as he looked around, but I pointed at the dark closet. He walked to my closet and opened the creaky door and flicked the switch so that the entire closet was brightly lit. “See there’s nothing here. Take a look.” He said as he motioned for me to come check.

After a moment of uncertainty I got out from under my warm blanket and slowly walked over to the closet. I held my breath and looked inside. Daddy was right, there was nothing except for my clothes.

“B-But, Daddy, I saw a shadow! I’m not lying! I swear!” I whimpered as I hugged him tightly.

He sighed as he picked me up. “Isabelle, you have to try sleeping alone in this room at least once, okay?” He smiled as I looked at him.

“Okay...” I mumbled softly.

“Alrighty then, how about I tuck you back in.” He said as he carried me to the bed and slowly let me down. “Mommy is going to be so proud of her little girl.”

“I’m SIX already! I’m a big girl!” I grinned as he pulled the blanket over me so that only my head was out.

“Of course.” He chuckled as he kissed my cheek. “Goodnight, honey.” He said as turned off my closet light and was about to turn off my room light as well.

“Wait Daddy! What if the monster comes back?”

“Then, remember what I told you? Close your eyes and count to 5. The monster will go away.”

“Okay…” I said and he smiled and turned off the light.

I heard his footsteps get quieter as he reached his room. That was when I heard what sounded like laughter from the closet. “Hello?” I whispered, but no one responded. While I watched the closet door that was firmly shut, I saw the doorknob start slowly turning. I was about to scream, but I covered my mouth. Remember what Daddy said. If I count it will go away.

I closed my eyes tightly and began to count…

One.
I whimpered quietly. I heard my closet door slowly creak as it opened.

Two.
I began to sniffle as I covered my ears, but I could still hear the floors creak.

Th-three.
It took another loud step towards me. It was very close. A couple tears ran down my cheeks.

Four…
I paused, but it was quiet again. I let out a deep sigh of relief as I continued.

Fi—

♠ ♠ ♠
Hi! Thank you for reading. Hope you liked it. It's my first time writing something so short! :)

Anyways thanks!

Sam