Status: :{D

Let's Pretend It's Love

EIGHTEEN

For days, Lola locked herself in her room. No one was allowed to talk about what happened between her and Niall and no one was allowed to feel bad for her. That was Lola’s idea.

But that Thursday afternoon after her literature class, Lola pulled on her converse Chuck Taylor’s and zipped up her hoodie, venturing out into the cold of night to get some fresh air. She needed to breathe and feel the cold air around her. She needed to clear her mind and her lungs and she needed to be free for just a little bit.

Lola wanted to sit by the pond and listen to the sound of the wind through the wind chimes.

It was dark outside as Lola turned her gaze to the pocked sky. The holes in the velvet blanket shone from the light of the stars. The stars that had been dead a million years, but no one would know because no one cared enough to ask them. Lola planted herself on the grass, cold and wet as it was, and cleared her throat. “Why did it happen?”

There was no reply from the stars.

“I mean, I thought we were getting along just fine. I thought that maybe for once I could be happy and he’d make me happy, but I guess I was wrong. I didn’t mean to be rude or push him away or anything. I thought he was interested in me too, but I guess I was wrong.”

Lola wiped her hand underneath her eyes, wiping away the tears of fragility and weakness. She sighed and leaned back on the palm of her hands. “You know it wasn’t your fault, right?”

Lola turned and saw Liam standing beside her. “What?”

“You know, Niall.”

Her throat tightened and she turned back to look at the pond. “I don’t want to talk about this.”

“Yes you do,” Liam said as he sat beside her. “Listen, Niall hasn’t had it easy either, alright? He’s had it kind of rough in the girl department.”

“What?” Lola asked in shock. “How could have have it rough? He’s the nicest guy around.”

Liam nodded. “Exactly. He can be a bit of a pushover sometimes. He’s too nice for his own good sometimes. He won’t want me to tell you this, but I will anyways because I think you’re the girl who could prove him wrong. A few years ago, he was with a girl. He was so happy and he thought they were forever. You know, the typical thing where he’s completely blind to all her faults? Yeah, she cheated on him and he was heartbroken. They were together for a few years. But since then, he thinks that all girls will do to him is leave him broken and alone. But I think you’re smart enough and nice enough to prove him wrong.”

“How though? He won’t even look at me and we’re in the same English classes,” Lola murmured.

He laughed. “You can’t give up on him that easily, Lola. Sneak into his room or ambush him tomorrow and tell him that you won’t give up on him just because some slag hurt him and broke his heart. I don’t want him to end up alone because he can’t open his mind to anyone.”

She stood up and wiped off the blades of grass from the seat of her denim shorts. “I’m not going to yet. I’m going to let him sit for a little bit and see if he wants someone. I’m sorry, Liam.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's Micah again! I'm sorry this took so long!