Status: :{D

Let's Pretend It's Love

THIRTY THREE

Lola had been lucky enough not to see Niall at all until he she walked into that party with Elise. Unfortunately, the moment she stepped foot into the house, she laid eyes on Niall, and it seemed like he was everywhere she turned after that. No matter what she did, she couldn’t get away from him. Not when she went upstairs. Not when she went to the basement. Not even when she went to the garage to play beer pong. He was everywhere.

Lola was just about to give up, find Elise, and go back to the sorority house when Niall caught her in the kitchen, cornering her between him and the table.

“Hey, Lola,” Niall said softly, running his hand over the back of his neck as he looked at her. His eyes were moving back and forth and his cheeks were flushed. “Do you have a minute?”

A minute for what, Lola wanted to ask, because that would certainly have an effect on whether or not she had a free moment. Instead, she just nodded her head and followed him upstairs, where she assumed he had a room somewhere. He led her down a hallway until they got to the very end before showing her into a small bedroom, decorated in navy blue and footballs.

When he shut the door behind him, Niall led Lola to the bed and sat down at the edge of it, patting the spot next to him for Lola to have a seat.

“Sorry, I just thought it would be quieter up here,” Niall said, clearly uneasy about dragging Lola to his bedroom. “Easier to think.” Lola simply nodded her head before Niall began talking again, his eyes unable to meet hers. “I just – I had some things I wanted to say to you. Just – uh – I thought I could just say them and then – uh – then you could say whatever. If there’s anything you want to say, I mean.”

Lola nodded her head, pressing her lips together. “I think that would be okay.”

“Good,” Niall said, nodding his head back. “Now don’t say anything until I’m finished, alright? Just hear me out.”

Lola nodded. “I think I could do that.”

Niall cleared his throat and let out a deep breath before he began to speak again. “Lola, I know what Liam told you. I know he said a lot of things and – well, those were things I should have told you myself. I’ve been thinking.” He chuckled. “God, I’ve been thinking a lot. More than I ever have in my life probably, and I – I’m starting to think I was wrong.”

“What?” Lola said, completely forgetting the rules in all of her confusion.

“You said you’d let me finish first.” Niall chuckled at her before his face went straight and he began speaking again. “I haven’t been able to stop thinking about you, Lola. Not once since I saw you last. I even dream about you for fuck’s sake and – and I wasn’t ready for it, Lola. I wasn’t ready at all, but I – I need you in my life. I don’t know why and I don’t know how it happened, but I need you. You make me feel whole again, Lol. You make me want to love again. You make me want throw caution to the wind and jump head first into you. I don’t care what happens five years from now or even five months from now. I don’t care if it ends in heartbreak or it doesn’t end at all. I just know that I wanna give this a chance, Lol. I wanna give us a chance.”

Niall was done speaking, but Lola was still frozen, her eyes blinking quickly as she looked at him. She could hardly breathe, let out alone think, and Niall looked at her with his head tilted to one side.

“You – you can talk now, Lola.”

“Niall,” Lola breathed out, smiling at him before she leaned forward and pressed their lips together. He tasted like peppermint and beer, and his lips were so soft that it caused her to sigh. “I’ve never wanted anything more.”