Status: Will be working on this every so often.

The Color Codes

Marked

The mirror is everyone's enemy.

Well, more so my enemy over anyone else's, but that's only because I can see it's true colors.

You see, back in 2011, in the month of September, color was outlawed. Or... colored eyes were outlawed. If you could see color, you were killed. If you understood color, you were killed. If you affiliated with color in any way, you were murdered.

In that month of September, everything became black and white.

...for everyone but me.

I, Juliet Monet, can see color. I can see the rainbow flecks in my otherwise grey eyes, and the soft, cyan blue locks of my hair. I can tell the difference between my porcelain white skin and the fake white everyone else sees.

The rest of the world's population used to be able to see what I see, be what I am. But not since the Color Codes were passed. The Codes, officially passed in 2012, required everyone to get parts of the cones and rods in their retina's nullified, taken away, and destroyed. An absolute murderous way to take away one thing humanity deserved: creativity.

The only reason I can perceive color is because I didn't undergo any horrible operation, didn't get a piece of me taken away. My mother hid me away from the world at the age of five once she realized the dangers of these unspoken codes at the time.

So here I am, twelve years later, living in my grandmother's grey basement.

Don't get me wrong, it's not so bad. I make my own paint from things around the house or things my mother brings me from outside. The walls are adorned with my own creations, some on canvas', some just preserved on the wall itself. An unmade twin side bed is on the floor in the corner, a canopy draped above it. I have my own mini-fridge, too.

The only sad part is how little I get to venture into the world. Once, every year, on my birthday to be exact, I may go outside. My mother forbids me from doing this any other day, spouting nonsense on the dangers of the Codes and how people would 'notice I'm different.' Which is a complete lie, since no one would tell the difference my eyes and others, not if they were perceived as the same grey color.

The same grey the world has become.

Today is my birthday- October fifteenth. It's perfect. It's in Autumn, so the colors outside are absolutely wonderful. The orangy-ness of the leaves and the slight browning of the grass gives everything a surreal feeling.

"Juliet!" My mother called from upstairs. "Juliet, get ready my dear! You know what today is!"

I grab my messenger bag and pull on my finger less gloves before leaving the sanctity of my basement. "Coming."

Who knows? Today could be amazing.

Or life threatening.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this took so long! I've had a lot of school work -__-