New in Town

snow.

I didn't know this place. I had no idea where I was going. But anywhere was better than where I was coming from. The streets would be better. And right now, that was looking like a good option.

Utah. Population two million, eight hundred and seventeen thousand, two hundred and twenty two.
Two million people, and I was hopelessly looking for one. How the heck was I supposed to find him?!
I had no phone number, no address. I'd never even been to America, let alone Utah! All I knew was that I was in Salk Lake City. I got a flight there seeing as it was the only place I'd ever heard of that had an airport in this state. Right now, that wasn't looking like the most thought out plan.

If I thought British winters were cold, they had nothing on the U.S. The streets were covered in snow, it was windy and blistery. I pulled the zip on my parka right to the top and hugged myself to try and stay warm. I'd walked for miles. I didn't know where I was walking to. I stopped in the street and looked around. There was nobody around. No houses. Nothing. I sighed and leant against the wall of the building next to me, sliding down to the ground. I pulled a packet of cigarettes and a lighter out of my pocket and began to puff. Every time I inhaled, the tiny sparks at the end of the cigarette let out the slightest bit of heat to warm my face.

As I was staring blankly at the white blanket of snow laid on the road in front of me, I noticed a growin light shining on it, followed by a set of flashing blue ones. I looked to the right and saw a police car rolling down the road towards me. I stood up, grabbing my rucksack and hurried towards the patrol vehicle.

'Miss, what are you doing sitting on the dark streets, IN THE SNOW, at 3am?! This ain't like old times ma'am, there's some nasty people about' said the officer, looking stern but friendly.
'I know, I know...it's just... I don't know where I am' I cried
'I can tell by that accent' he laughed, his face softening. 'Jump in. Will sort this out downtown over some coffee. You look like you could use one'

Without a second thought, I clambered straight in the vehicle, fully appreciating the officer's toast Toyota Camry.

'So then little lady. Let's get talking...'