You Can Break Everything I Am, Like I'm Made of Glass

Them Bondurant Boys

Image

We sat silently at the dining room table and ate like we did every night. Tonight it was steak and potatoes. We had it often. Dad loved beef, and I just agreed with what he made. If I didn’t like it, I went hungry.

After dinner, I cleaned the dishes and changed into my riding jeans. I always rode Ace after dinner. Dad didn’t like it because I didn’t get home until dark. But would I be any fun if I listened to Daddy?

I jogged out to the barn, ignoring my father’s complaints as I bridled Ace and hopped onto his bare back, kicking him into ground eating gallop down the gravel drive and in the direction of town. I rode for about 2 miles, and finally reached the domestic streets where the drunks were wandering in to the bars and the families were going home with their carts of produce. Not many people rode horses anymore, because cars were so popular.
I pulled Ace up into a walk and wandered through town, watching all the people live their lives. And I knew that when I got home, Daddy would yell in his drunken stupor and maybe even hit me. Every night, I dreaded going home to that man. The only good day was Sunday. We would go to church, and I would toss peanuts across the aisle at my buddy Jack.
Jack Bondurant that is.
Daddy didn’t mind much, mostly because he loved church, and didn’t let anything ruin his time with god. Jack and I though, would tease each other all morning with those damned peanuts.
Then something hit me in the ear.
I stopped Ace and looked around sharply.
Then I saw it.
A peanut.

I smirked and searched harder in the brightness of the setting sun behind me.

“Don’t look too hard miss, you might catch another.” Came Jack’s familiar voice from behind.

He walked up slowly, making sure my horse wouldn’t bite.

“You gotta do somethin’ with this stallion. Cut ‘em or somethin’ and make ‘em nicer.” He said, steering clear of Ace’s bared teeth.

“Maybe he don’t like the way you smell.” I joked.

“Hey, Harry left me up at the bar and uh, I don’t think he’s comin’ out for a while. You mind walkin’ me home?” he asked.

“I’d offer you a ride but Ace don’t take kindly to passengers.” I smirked.

He started walking, and Ace fell into step beside him.
We walked and chatted the whole way to the Bondurant station, and like always Jack begged me to come in and eat.

“I know your daddy don’t feed you much. And Forrest can make a real good turkey sandwich.” He beckoned.

“I won’t eat, but I guess I’ll come in.” I agreed reluctantly.

He smiled and led the way inside after I tied Ace. It smelled like moonshine and tobacco inside, with a hint of coffee. There were maybe 10 people sitting around, and they all gave me a weird look.

Young girls like me don’t really belong out at this time of night. But Jack was my friend, and he wouldn’t mind what they thought. We sat at a table and Jack motioned for Lucy to come over with a pot of coffee.
She poured some for him and asked if I’d take any. I nodded and watched as she filled my cup too, then walked away.

“You hungry, punk?” Jack asked.

I shook my head no.

“Okay. Looks like Forrest aint here anyways.” He mumbled.

Then, as if by magic; 28 year old Forrest Bondurant stormed in, ripping his fedora off his head with a greasy hand. He approached the bar silently, and sat hunched over a prepared cup of coffee.
I looked cautiously at him, almost afraid of his passiveness. I had always been curious about him.

“What’re you so pissed about?” Jack asked.

Forrest turned slowly and gave Jack a mean grin.

“Every time I come in here, that damned stallion is parked right by the steps. And every time, he bites my damn hand. Gonna have to show ‘em who’s boss one of these days.” He answered, sending his grin in my direction.

I just smiled and blushed, knowing my horse didn’t like people. Yet I continued to tie him close to the door. I stood up and walked outside, just before he jumped at a man coming in.

“Ace!” I said sharply.

He stopped and cocked his ears in my direction.

“You gotta stop. You’re startin’ to make people resent me.” I told my horse, petting his nose.

Jack and Forrest came out too, and stood clear of Ace as his ears went back, flat against his black mane. Forrest grunted and came closer, unafraid of his warning bites now.
He stepped closer again, and Ace snorted loudly, throwing his head up and rolling his eyes.

“Easy now fella, you gotta learn some manners if you’re gonna be cartin’ this pretty girl around all your life.” He said as he reached slowly towards the stallion’s head.

I held the reins tight so he couldn’t back away, and watched as Forrest rested a hand on his black velvety nose.

“See, now? I aint tryna hurt ya.” He said softly, petting him.

When he pulled away, Ace shook his head and looked away.

I looked up at Forrest, into his deep blue eyes.

“You’re the only person to ever touch him besides me.”

“You start comin’ around more often; I could do alotta good for that horse.” He said plainly.

I nodded.

Then a car pulled in fast, and skidded to a stop in the dirt, scaring Ace. He jerked his muzzle high and reared as Daddy jumped out, angrier than hell.

“Michelle, get your ass in the car or I’m gonna beat you silly, girl!” he shouted, stumbling towards me.

Forrest instinctively stepped in front of me, giving my father a stern look.

“Not on my porch you aint. Go on home and take a cold bath, Gus. I’ll see to it that little miss gets home alright.” He said.

“Oh shut up, Bondurant. I’m not leavin’ her here with you sons of bitches.” He stuttered, still coming at us.

I looked down and saw Forrest’s fist clench, and I watched as the muscles grew in his arm. They tightened beneath his shirt, sending involuntary chills down my spine.

“Sir, you need to get the hell off my property speakin’ ta me in that way. I don’t take kindly to insults, and I sure as hell wont make and exception for ya.” He told my dad.

I knew what the Bondurant boys were capable of, and I couldn’t see this ending well.

“Daddy, I’m not leaving without Ace. I’ll ride home.” I said.

“You leave that beast here and get in the damned truck girl!” he shouted from his spot in the yard.

“Gus, you go on home. I’ll pull out my old pony and take her home. Go on, get in your car ‘fore I change my mind.” He said calmly, pointing to daddy’s running vehicle.

Daddy sighed, getting angry.

“Don’t tell me my business with my daughter. You aint takin’ her nowheres.”

Forrest began to draw a set of brass knuckles from his jacket pocket. I gasped quietly, and grabbed his forearm, holding the weapon at bay. He took a quick glance down at me with his wise blue eyes and dropped them, keeping his hand inside the pocket.

“Go on now. I’ll get her home.” He said one last time.

Something in his voice intimidated daddy, because he got in his car and drove off like a bat outta hell. I sighed with relief, but the tension mounted on my shoulders when I realized what would happen when I got home.

Forrest turned to face me, placing a hand on my shoulder.

“Don’t worry, I’ll keep you here long enough for him to pass out. Come sun up, just mind yer manners and maybe he’ll forget about this.” He said reassuringly.

I nodded and followed him back inside. And for once in my life, I was thankful to have a Bondurant beside me.