You Can Break Everything I Am, Like I'm Made of Glass

Would'nt Mind It

Image

About 3 hours later, I sat at the bar between drunk Jack and quiet Forrest, feeling a bit tired.

“Shit, must be 10 now. I gotta get you home. I’m sure your daddy will be sleepin’ by now. If he aint, I’ll put ‘em to sleep.” Forrest said, getting up and putting his hat on.

I said goodbye to Jack and followed Forrest out into the crisp night air.

“Stay here, I’ll go get my pony.” He said, and left for the small barn behind the house.

I patted Ace’s neck and waited for Forrest to emerge on his black gelding. He pulled the horse up in front of me, and waited for me to vault onto Ace’s back.

“One thing I can say, you can ride a horse like an outlaw with a pocket fulla coins ma’am.” Forrest chuckled as we trotted down the quiet dirt road.

“Thanks. Daddy taught me when I was young, and I just kind of started winging it from then on.” I replied.

“This here’s Butch. He’s as old as Jack. They were born a month apart. Jack’s 18 now, so he’s not too old yet.” He reached down to pat the horse’s neck.

“Ace is 5 years old now. And he’s still as fiery as the day he was born.”

“He’s a stallion, that’s why. But stallions can be broke. I seen it before. You start comin’ around more and I’ll help you tame that beast.”

I smiled to myself. Forrest Bondurant wasn’t as ruthless as they all say.

“What’re you over there smilin’ about?” he asked with a slight grin.

“I’m just thinking about how funny it’s gonna be when he knocks you on your ass.” I replied quickly.

He laughed out loud, tilting his head back slightly. I laughed too, knowing that it was a true statement.

“Missy, you got a lot to learn bout us Bondurants.”

“Yeah I know, you’re all indestructible.” I said sarcastically.

When we arrived at my house, we both got off our horses and rounded them to meet in the middle. Forrest scanned the house, and then nodded towards it.

“Looks like its safe to go in. I’ll stay here for a moment to make sure you’re ok.” He said quietly.

I nodded, and took Ace to the barn and fed him before going up the steps into the house. I walked in slowly, searching the darkness for a figure.
Then I felt a hard blow to the back of my head and I fell to the floor unconscious.

When I finally woke up, I felt like my head was split open. I sat up and felt it, making sure it was intact. There was a large bump on the back of my head, but that was all. I looked around slowly, noticing this wasn’t my room. And I was still in my riding jeans. What happened?
Then someone cleared their throat. I looked up at the doorway, seeing Forrest leaning against the frame with a concerned look on his face.

“Your daddy knocked you out cold last night. I took the liberty of puttin’ him to bed and I brought you home with me.” He said, rolling up the sleeved to his red button up shirt. Except it wasn’t buttoned up. It was open, exposing his finely shaped abdomen and large pecks. I tried hard not to stare, but his torso was beautiful.

“Thanks. What now?” I asked.

“We go and get your stuff. You aint sleepin’ there anymore.” He said firmly.

“Where am I gonna go?”

He pointed to the bed I lay on.

“Right there. The barn’s big enough for Ace, and as long as you earn your keep, aint nobody ever gonna bother you here.”

I smiled.

“Thanks Forrest.”

He nodded.

“Well come on, I got the car runnin’ so we can go get your stuff. Harry and Jack are ridin’ along too so there’s no trouble.”

I got up slowly, holding the back of my head as I followed him outside. I smiled at Harry before getting in the back of the truck with Jack, standing against the cab.

“Harry, get your ass in the bed, let the lady sit in the cab.” Forrest scolded his brother.

Harry chuckled and got out, holding the door open for me.

The ride to Daddy’s was kind of quiet. I kept getting a whiff of some lovely aroma, but I couldn’t tell what it was. It smelled good, and I think it was Forrest. He caught me looking at him a few times, and every time he would push me lightly to tease me.

“Why are you so shy today?” he asked.

“I don’t know. My head hurts, and I’m cold.” I said.

“It’s warm over here.” Forrest lifted his arm for me to scoot closer. I did, and nestled into his side, relishing the warmth and that beautiful smell again.

I didn’t know if he was trying to court me, or not. His passiveness was hard to read. But one thing’s for sure. I wouldn’t mind having him around more often.