You Can Break Everything I Am, Like I'm Made of Glass

Bacon

Image

The next morning, I woke up alone in my bed. The smell of bacon quickly filled my nostrils, begging me to get out of bed. So I did, and dressed myself in my favorite maroon sundress.
When I came into the kitchen, Jack and howard sat at the table, both reaching for the mountain of bacon between them.

"Good morning boys." I said, grabbing a plate from the cupboard.

"Well good morning sunchine. You look awfully chipper today." Jack teased.

I didnt notice the unusual glow on my face, but they could. I wonder if they knew Forrest had stayed the night in my room, or if they were just being boys like they always are.
Before i could react to Jack's comment, there was the sound of a car approaching outside. Howard stood up and peeked out the window, then sat back down and shoved a strip of bacon in his mouth.

"Its just Carl." he mumbled.

I sat down at the table and placed some bacon on my plate, while the two brothers smirked at me. I looked up with a raised eyebrow.

"What?" I asked.

Jack beamed, his eyes sparkling with mischief.

"You cant hide nothin' in this house sweetheart." was all he said before eating again.

I looked at howard, who just winked at me.

"What are you talkin' about?" i asked.

"Oh nothin' I'm just a little tired. didnt get much sleep last night." Jack said, causing Howard to chuckle.

"Yeah, there was a lotta noise down the hall, kept me up too." he countered.

Suddenly, my cheeks went red and I looked down at my plate, a little embarassed. But i couldnt help the smile that crept across my glowing face. Last night was magical. Forrest had been so gentle and tuned in to me.

"Its alright, Forrest was so bashful this morning, he didnt even stay to eat after makin' breakfast." Jack said kindly, giving me an apologetic smile.

I sighed, chewing my food.

"Well, I apologize for the noise. And I'll have you both know that i'm deeply ashamed that you had to hear it." I said.

Howard smiled wide.

"We dont mind. There aint no shame in this house, and we sure dont apologize for any noise we make at night. Its not like Forrest is the only one gettin' action these days." he told me with a grin.

I just laughed, and got up to clear my plate.

"I think I'll get some fresh air." Jack said, following suit.

The youngest Bondurant followed me onto the porch, and we sat side by side in the old wooden chairs.

"So, I dont mean to be nosy Mitch, but uh...I had a feelin' you and Forrest took a likin' to each other. And I just wanna say that nobody around here minds you two bein' smitten. Its been 2 years since Maggie left and I'm glad that he's smilin' again." he told me.

I looked up quick, giving him a questioning glance.

"He was smiling?" I asked.

He nodded.

"He couldnt even face us this morning. He was glowin' so bright he had to get in the truck and go into town for somethin' we dont even need."

"And what would that be?" I asked.

"Milk." he said.

I remembered opening the fridge last night in the diner, and seeing more than ten bottles of milk sitting on the top shelf. then I smiled, and leaned back in my chair.

"Do you really like Forrest, or are you just lookin' for some local tail?" he asked.

I shot him glare.

"I'm sorry Mitch. I just worry after what Maggie did to him. But i know you're a good girl." he replied.

Before I could reply, Forrest pulled into the yard in the truck. I had to bite my lip to hide the grin, but as Forrest got out of the vehicle and walked towards the porch, I could see the sparkle in his usually docile eyes. when he walked up the steps, he nodded slightly at us and went inside.
I gave Jack a confused look.

"Probably just gettin' a jar of shine." he answered.

Then, moments later, Forrest came back out carrying a jar of moonshine, just like Jack had predicted. He took a seat in the empty chair to my right, and sighed before taking a quick drink of the liquor.

"Good mornin' kids." he said nonchalantly.

"Sleep well Forrest?" jack asked curiously, giving his brother a smirk.

"better'n you I'd say." he said, passing the jar to him.

Jack laughed, and held his hat as he tipped back and swigged. i just sat, suddenly feeling awkward.

"I'm gonna go check on Ace." i said, getting up.

"Dont bother, he aint in there." Forrest said.

I gave him an eager frown.

"I turned 'em loose this morning with Butch. They're out runnin through the woods, bein horses." he assured.

I sat back down, feeling nervous for my stallion.

Forrest gave me a gentle smile, his blue eyes giving me some comfort. he knew what he was doing, and I was going to trust him.

"I came up with an idea. Jack and Howard are gonna help me build a fence in that empty meadow behind the barn, and I got a friend with a real nice mare he's willin' to trade me." he said, holding up the jar of half gone moonshine as a gesture to the 'trade.'

"You're gonna mate him with the mare?" i asked.

"Well, yeah. but its more than that. See, he's a stallion. His natural instincts are to have a herd of females and make babies. So we get him a girlfriend, and this time next year, we'll have a foal. And who knows, Pete might pay a pretty penny for it. Ace has good bloodlines, and he's fast. Pete knows a man in Tennessee with a racing farm, so maybe your stallion will be the proud daddy of a derby winner."

Forrest's helpful insight caused me to smile with pride. This could actually be a good idea.