Status: Still working on the story, it will be long and evenul, bear with us.

I Never Told a Lie, and That Makes Me a Liar

Chapter 21

Zack went off in one direction, I went in the other. We were both searching for Alex, but I already knew where he was. I creeped onto Tay and the boys' bus and headed straight for the back. Sure enough, with a pen and paper in hand and a guitar on his lap, Alex sat on the cushioned area we called a couch.
"What's going on? Why did you freak out? You knew what I was doing. That I was with him. What's going on? Spill." I leaned against the doorframe and awaited his answer.
He sighed and looked up at me with his big brown puppy dog eyes. "Here's the thing," he said, and then sighed again, "I wrote it out..." He sounded nervous.
He reached for the neck of his guitar and started slow.
<i>Leila run away with me I know it sounds crazy don't you see what you do to me? I wanna be a lost boy, your last chance, a better reality, yeah...come on we can get away, I promise if you're with say the word and well find a way, and I can be your lost boy, your last chance, you're everything that I planned, oh somewhere in Neverland. </i>
He stopped playing and we both sat a minute in silence. I was baffled. What the hell was going on?
"I was gonna use Wendy, but Leila fit, and.. Yeah..." He started rambling, but the words that stuck out the most were the ones he said when he looked up at me. "Do you understand now? I love you. Like, the way Zack loves you, except... More..." He looked sad. Hurt, even.
It took me a minute to gather my thoughts. What? I didn't know where to begin.
"I understand. But Alex I'm sorry, I can't." His gesture was sweet. I loved Alex so much. He was a brother to me. Someone I could always rely on. I had a small crush on him at one point. That was all. I didn't know he felt this way otherwise I would never have led him to believe I had any feelings for him. I mean, I knew he had a crush on me... But that was weeks ago! I was so confused and upset. I had led him on and now he confesses that he's in love with me. I felt so awful. I felt cruel and mean and downright dirty. So I ran. Again.

By the time I found Jess, I was out of breath. Thankfully, she was a tad busy, which gave me time to catch my breath and come up with a way to explain to her why I had to leave. She had talked about going back for days, but knew that I needed more time with Zack, so we stayed all on my account. (That's my selfless best friend for ya. How did I turn out so selfish with a best friend like her? I don't even begin to understand.) However, watching her and Jack now, I wasn't so sure that she would want to go anywhere... Oh boy.
♠ ♠ ♠
More to come :)