Status: Completed!

To Call My Life My Own

Noah.

Saturday morning came far too quickly for Noah’s liking. Three days had passed since the eventful evening where he’d finally talked to Mystery Guy…Will properly, and Noah couldn’t get his mind off the beautiful older man. So confident with his work, laughing and talking with his colleagues. So beautiful in that tailored suit, cool and sophisticated without even trying. And the fact that he thought Noah was cute when he blushed? That just made everything better.

Maybe this could be the start of something. Anything. Maybe this could be what Noah had waited for.

“Good Morning!”
“Happy Saturday!”

The twins!

A smile spread across Noah’s lips as he saw Willem’s two little sisters skipping into the shop, the girl they came with following in after them. But that was it. No-one else. Willem hadn’t come.

He hadn’t come.

Noah’s smile fell slightly, and the red-haired girl smiled sadly at him, only making Noah blush a little. Damn it.

“Come on girls, let’s choose our treats, hmm?”

As the three girls moved along the counter, Noah sagged slightly against it. Willem hadn’t come into the bakery. He always came into the bakery, rain or shine, just like he had done for three years. Noah knew how much these Saturday trips meant to the twins, how they kept the family grounded after the tragedy of losing their mom. Yeah, he knew. The twins talked a lot and the sadness of those first few months had confirmed it. Bakery Saturday’s meant a lot to the twins and Noah thought it had meant a lot to Willem too.

Looks like he messed up another good thing in his life.

“Okay, we’ll have two chocolate chip cookies and two raspberry and oat cookies – the big ones please,” the older girl said.

Noah snapped out of his thoughts and wordlessly put the cookies into bags.

“Anything else for you?” he asked softly.

“A croissant to go and a savoury cheese scone, please,” the girl said.

Noah nodded and wrapped those too.

“That’ll be $8 please,” he said politely.

The girl handed over the money, waving off the two dollar change, which Noah put straight in the tip jar. She stared at him strangely for a couple of seconds, before turning to the twins.

“Cammy, Mack, go eat a cookie each in the corner, save one for home. I gotta talk in private,” the girl said.

The twins nodded, linking arms as they walked over to the other side of the shop and sat down on the stools propped against the wall.

Noah swallowed heavily, shifting on his feet at the stare the girl pushed on him. He didn’t like it. He didn’t like it one bit. Interrogation starting in 3…2…1…

“So, Noah, huh?” she started.

“Uh, yeah?”

“At least he wasn’t rambling complete nonsense. Hi, I’m Lucy,” the girl said cheerfully.

“H-Hi Lucy,” Noah said nervously, still not understanding what she meant.

He wasn’t rambling? Who’s he? Wait, Willem? Is she talking about Willem?

“Are you going to tell me what happened three days ago or am I gonna have to stick the twins on you?” Lucy asked playfully.

“What do you mean?” Noah asked, confused.

Lucy sighed, running her hand through her messy red hair.

“Will came back after work muttering bakery boy…Noah…humiliated myself…such an idiot and wouldn’t come here today – what happened?” Lucy repeated.

“N-Nothing really,” Noah mumbled.

Lucy just raised an eyebrow, defeating Noah instantly.

“The bakery got an order for late night catering for a meeting, and my parents were busy so I did the delivery. Turns out it was to Will’s workplace. He helped me set up the sandwiches and pastries, and we talked and…”

“…and?” Lucy prompted.

Noah smiled softly at the memory.

“He said I looked cute when I blushed,” Noah finished, practically whispered.

Right on cue, Noah blushed. Damn it.

Lucy smiled a little more.

“Well he’s right about the cuteness,” she mused.

Noah blushed a little more, making her laugh.

“It’s just a shame he ran after saying it though,” Lucy sighed.

What?

“I don’t understand,” Noah frowned.

“Will’s had a tough life, you know this much. Everything he does is for the twins, which is right – to an extent. He puts everything in his effort for his sisters, including putting his social life on the line, and his love life,”

Oh.

Lucy’s smile turned sad at the dejection on Noah’s face. Noah tried to smile when he realised she’d noticed but he couldn’t. He just couldn’t.

He really didn’t have a chance after all.

“Will hasn’t dated in years, and he doesn’t act on crushes because he thinks that he needs to focus on his sisters and nothing else. I’ve been trying to get through to him for so long and change his mind but…”

Lucy trailed off, only making Noah feel worse.

“But he won’t change no matter what,” Noah finished, his voice glum.

Of course. He knew he never had a chance with someone like Willem. How could he be so stupid as to think he could?

Lucy immediately placed her hand on his arm, drawing him out of his head.

“Hey, we’re rooting for you, y’know. Me and the twins,” she said softly.

“W-What?” Noah asked, surprised.

They’re rooting for him? What did that mean?

Lucy smiled.

“We’re on your side. I reckon if we all work together, we can get Will to see that you’re worth taking down his walls for,”

They’d do that? For him?

“You think so?” Noah asked softly.

“I know so. So keep your chin up, kid. Don’t give up yet,” Lucy grinned, winking.

As usual, Noah blushed, making Lucy laugh.

“Well we’d better get going, before Mr Grumpy Pants get pissy about not having his Saturday Croissant,” Lucy announced loudly, the twins immediately skipping over.

“I think you should hold off on the Saturday Croissant,” Camilla said innocently.

Noah knew it was Camilla. Camilla liked green and Mackenzie like purple, and each girl had that colour bow in their hair.

“I agree. Bubba needs to be punished for sulking in bed and not coming out to play with Bakery Boy,” Mackenzie nodded.

To play with Bakery Boy. Mm, Noah could get behind that. No! Bad thoughts!

“And Bubba doesn’t need to know of our nefarious plan, right girls?” Lucy grinned.

“Nope! Secret plans are secret!” Camilla giggled.

Noah couldn’t help but smile. Maybe this could work out after all.

“See you later, Noah,” Lucy smiled.

“Yeah, see you,” Noah nodded, waving.

Maybe this really was the start of something.
♠ ♠ ♠
Noah's adorable, right?
And Lucy and the twins are rooting for him...this can only mean good things!
Willem and Lucy have a heart-to-heart in the next chapter :)

Please keep your feedback coming! I really do appreciate all comments :)

xo