Our Writer Couldn't Think of a Title So We Got Stuck With a Fall Out Boy Pun

Chapter 1

Patrick knew that he should’ve called in sick today. If he’d called in sick he wouldn’t have been guilted in to giving a tour to the newest intern and wouldn’t have agreed to be in charge of said intern. It’s not that Patrick hates the idea of having someone to get him coffee or do the stupid little things that he rather not do, it’s just that the intern seems so awed by him and he feels guilty for not being any cooler or smarter or at least not so awkward around the guy. Even from the moment Patrick met him he looked at Patrick like he was the greatest doctor ever, and it kinda weirded him out.
“Hey um Dr. Stump? I got your coffee” he said knocking on the door and pulling Patrick out of his internal monologue.
“Ah yes thank you um…” crap how did he forget his intern’s name?
“Oh it’s Pete”
“Thank you Pete, and please call me Patrick, Dr. Stump makes me sound far greater than I really am”
“What are you talking about? You’re amazing, you’re like the youngest doctor ever”
“Well I um” Wow he tired to keep that fact low key, no need for any extra attention “I mean you’re right, I just kind of forget. And thank you”
“What do you mean you forget? If I was as amazing as you I would never forget that I became a doctor when I was twenty, I mean seriously I think you’re really cool”
“Y-you do? How do you know all these things about me anyways?”
“Oh well I um it’s just-it’s not important” Pete’s cheeks were red and he seemed to be embarrassed
“No I want to know, unless you’re like a stalker or something I won’t have any issues with it”
“We um went to the same high school for a little while and I thought you seemed cool, we shared a few classes once you got to my grade but we never really talked but um once you graduated I still kinda kept tabs on you, I never like intentionally looked you up or anything but if I happened to um see something about you I’d read it.” he said kinda quickly, as if the words were all trying to come out at once.
“Oh hey yea I kinda recognize you” over the corse of his brief schooling Patrick had been to so many schools it was hard to remember people, maybe somewhere in there there was a memory of Pete’s face, probably one smushed with 10 other nondescript teenage boys with similar coloring, not that Pete needed to know that.
“Really!” Patrick could tell that Pete really didn’t want to seem as excited as he did “because that’s cool, we weren’t in the same grade for that long, just a few months”
“Um yea, what classes again?”
“Uh Trig and English Junior year?”
“Oh yea! I remember you, Wentz right?” Pete Wentz, how had Patrick not recognized him? He had had the biggest crush on him the whole time he went there. He’d never gotten up the courage to talk to him though.
“Yea! I didn’t think you’d recognize me”
“Of course I did, I thought you were-” really cute, hot, awesome “I thought you looked like a cool dude, I wish we could’ve gotten to know each other better.”
“Yea me too, but hey we get to hang out now right?”
“Yea…so hey why did you sign up for this internship anyways, it says that you have enough credits to graduate and usually that’s why students take the class.”
“It seemed like a cool idea, and who knows, maybe I could get a job here when the internship is done.” makes sense, a good amount of the interns get hired as entry level doctors once their internship is done and they've graduated.
“Don’t you have classes to study for though? In med school taking extra things like this would’ve been the farthest thing from my mind if I didn’t need credits”
“Well then I guess I’m just a better doctor than you.” Pete said teasingly
“You’re not a doctor” reminded Patrick
“Yet” Pete reminded him with a smirk on his face. “so...do you just sit around and do nothing all day or are we actually going to get to do doctor-y things?”
“Oh yes we will, I don’t currently have a case so we get the pleasure of going down to do clinic hours” Patrick said sarcastically because all you really do is confirm that someone has a cold or fish toys out of noses, not that he expected the life of a doctor to be exactly glamorous but still.
“Wonderful”
“Yea I know, oh the life of a doctor.” Patrick said as they started down the hall to the elevator “so, how old are you Pete?”
“Twenty-six, why do you ask?”
“Iunno, just making small talk I guess” That would make Pete five years older than him but the same age as his good friend, Gabe whom he’d graduated with. “and you know my age so it’d only seem fair that I know yours”
“You going to quiz me on everything that I know about you just so you can find out the same things about me?”
“Do you try to sound this creepy or is it completely natural?” Not that Patrick really minded having someone that kinda figuratively looked up to him, but it’s still kinda fun to make fun of him
“Completely natural” Their conversation was cut short because they has arrived at the front desk and they had to pick up their files for the clinic patients.
“Welcome Pete to the joys of being a doctor” Patrick said with a flourish while opening the door and reveling the first patient of the day, which was a little girl with a nasty looking rash
“Glorious” Pete said under his breath so that the patient and her father wouldn’t hear
“Hello there my name is Dr. Stump, and this is my helper, Mr. Wentz, and I’ll be taking care of you today, what’s your name?” despite not being a big fan of them Patrick had perfected the art of keeping kids from crying when he’s taking care of them.
“Genevieve Beckett” The little girl said confidently “and this is my dad, his name is William” she said motioning up to her father. “I have a rash and I won’t go away and it itches a lot”
“Well Genevieve, how long have you had this rash?” Patrick said looking at it, it really didn’t look like more than just an allergic reaction to laundry detergent but he wanted to be sure.
Without answering Genevieve looked up at her dad expectantly “Um a few days”
“You using a new laundry detergent brand?”
“Yea how’d you know?”
“Her rash is just an allergic reaction from it, it might take a few days to go away, after you start using the new detergent but I can give you some creme to help with the itching” Patrick said as he wrote up a prescription and handed it to Genevieve’s dad
“What do you say to the nice doctor?” the dad asked Genevieve
“Thank you Dr. Stump, thank you Mr. Wentz, even though you didn’t do anything” wow Patrick had totally forgot that Pete was in the room, looking over at him he saw that Pete was just kinda awkwardly standing in the corner not knowing what to do.
“You’re welcome Genevieve”
“Okay lets go Evie, thank you both again.”
Once the door closed Patrick looked back at Pete “hey what are you doing over there, usually interns tend to help the doctor.”
“You really needed help with them?”
“Well no but still standing off in the corner isn’t really a good way to learn, here you can take the next patient and I can just be the consultant.”
“Sounds good” Pete said as they started walking out of the room to get their next file.