Status: In Progress.

Ramaging Zombies, MMKay?

Day two.

***

Morning comes as Sophie curls up in my lap. I run my fingers through her hair. She's all I have left and I promised mom I'd keep her safe. I never imagined it would have come to this. I always figured "keep her safe" meant keep her out of trouble. Never keep the monster away from your sister.

Every time I try to close my eyes I see it again. The monster growling and drooling over him as he uses the tire iron to keep it from biting him. Then it's like I was someone else watching myself line up the way my dad showed me and blocking out the noises surrounding me. Pulling the trigger and watching it's brain splatter the stall.

He is eyeing me from across the room neither of us have said more than two words since the monster died again.

***

We need to have a plan. She had saved my life, but it was all I could do to be thankful the truck stop stayed a deserted place. Another sound of the gun could alert more of those... things. What's worse, is that some of the blood had gotten in my eye, but I just can't bring myself to tell either of them that it's been blurry ever since.

"We can't stay here forever," I broke the silence, "But since I can't think of anywhere to go, we need to fortify the place."

We had bolted the doors shut, and took turns napping, for it could only have been called napping, throughout the night. We had also found two granola bars inside the place, but that could hardly be called a meal.

As for the corpse? It stayed locked in the other room. We didn't even stay to rummage if he had anything useful. Frankly, my nerves are still tingling with the encounter.

***
♠ ♠ ♠
Your turn mmk!