Status: let me know what you think of Zac and Cole :]

My Heart Will Go On

10

I feel better after messing around with my siblings, but when I check my phone and see three messages from Tommy, Zac, and another number that I assume to belong to Cole, I remember how I felt last night and suddenly feel drained of the morning's joy.

Zac
Hey Kare we missed you last night. Come over today? We should talk.

Tommy
Yo! Waddup with you and Cole? Sorry my cousin's an idiot!

Cole
I'm sorry about last night. Can we talk?

To Zac I respond "Busy."

To Tommy, "Nothing."

And to Cole, "Where should we meet?"

Half and hour later, I see Cole's lean figure heading through the sand toward me. I stand up, brush the sand off my blue shorts, and go to meet him.

I don't say anything, he's the one that started this.

"Hey." He says. I wait for him to continue. He seems to be having a difficult time.

"Karolyne, I know it wasn't my business. It was stupid of me." His eyes are bearing down on me much like the afternoon sun.

"Yeah." I say. "It was." I'm not going to make this easy for him.

"Karolyne," he says, "I'm intrigued by you."

"Intrigued?" I say. "Not sure I know what you mean when you say that."

"Don't tell me you don't remember the first time we saw each other?"

"What does that have to do with anything?" I ask, I feel my ears turn bright red.

"It has to do with everything." He says.

I don't understand. The first time we saw each other, me and Cole simply stared at each other for a few seconds. How could he remember such a thing? I thought I was the only one who remembered. Cole is looking at me with some sort of sparkle in his beautiful eyes.

“I know, it seems strange,” He says quietly. “I haven’t stopped thinking about you since that day. Then your parents…” He trails off.

“I know, Cole. My parents are dead. You can say it.” I understand why he didn’t say it. Last night I would have exploded.

Yeah, it hurts me to think about it, but I realize that I need to just face the fact because there is no way to reverse what’s happened.

“Let’s sit down, I’m still tired,” Cole says gently. I allow myself to slide down and sit in the sand. It hasn’t soaked up the sun yet, so it’s still fairly cool. Cole sits next to me and runs his fingers over his hair.

Suddenly I have the urge to take his hand. I slide my fingers through the sand and reach for his hand. He opens his up and allows me to slip mine on top of it and to entwine our fingers.
They feel so big compared to my tiny hands and they’re a little rough. I think of my dad now. I think of the times when he would take my hand to cross the street. Then I remember how I gave him a high five before he left with my mom for their trip. Cole’s hands feel like my father’s and it gives me a sort of peace.

“Karolyne,” he says. I like the way he says my name; like it’s something precious.

“Yeah?” I look at him. He’s gazing at the ocean, or perhaps something I can’t see.

“I’d like to spend more time with you. I want to know you.” He says.

“I’d like that.” It’s all I can say.

I don’t want to think about what will come. I will simply let everything fall into place.
♠ ♠ ♠
it'll get better.