Family

Surprising Plans

Kyle's POV--a couple days after surgery

“Kyle?” Abby said, walking into the kitchen.

“Hey Abby” I said grabbing my crutches to make sure she didn’t need anything.

As I moved towards her, she started to sway back and forth and started to say, “Kyle, I I don’t ahh I don’t feel…” and then started to fall towards the kitchen counter.

Fortunately I was close enough to catch here before she hit her head, but unfortunately my elbow hit the sharp corner of the counter. “Abby?” I said her body laying limp in my hands. After no response, I tried to find a way for me to balance so that I could lay her down. After figuring that I wouldn’t be able to take her to the living room, I set her down on the kitchen floor to realize all the blood on the floor.

I traced the blood back to its source, my elbow. Slowly, I stood back up to grab my phone off the counter and dialed for Mom.

“Mom?” I said quickly when I heard her pick up.

“What’s wrong” She immediately responded hearing the concern in my voice.

“Abby fainted and she hasn’t woken up yet”

“How long?”

“I don’t know maybe a minute or two?” I said concerning

“Kyle,” She said sensing that I was freaking out, “I need you to take a deep breath,” I followed her instructions, “Because Abby’s been sick I want you to call 911 when I hang up the phone, I’ll be home as soon as possible.”

“Okay,”

“Just stay calm” My mom said and then hung up the phone.

Following my mother’s instructions I quickly dialed 911,

“911 What is your Emergency?” the operator said quickly

“My sister fainted and she hasn’t woken up yet” I said, starting to feel a little woozy my self, probably from my medications, “My mom told me to call”

“Okay sir, please tell me your location?”

“18620 Nitengale Rd. ,off of Kramers Road”

“Thanks, an ambulance is coming right now, I need you to stay on the line and take a deep breath, and tell me how old your sister is”

“She is 8”

“Is she breathing?”

“Yes she is breathing, but unconscious”

“Okay, that’s good” The operator said trying to be positive, “Can you tell me if she is allergic to anything?”

“She is allergic to soy.”

“Is she bleeding?” The operator said, but my head was starting to swim and it took me a minute to respond, “Sir are you still there?”

“Ohh, ya, sorry, please call me Kyle, and she’s not bleeding, I am”

“Ok Kyle, tell, me are you okay?” I grabbed the side of the counter to make sure I didn’t fall out of the chair and hurt myself.

“Just a little dizzy” I said trying to focus on Abby.

“Kyle, can you lay down on the floor or sit down?”

“I am sitting now,”
“Okay, hold tight the Ambulance is almost there, are your doors unlocked?”

“No,”

“Okay, what color is your house?”

“Blue, corner, fire hydrant” I said starting to feel like I was going to pass out.

“Great thank you, Kyle keep talking to me, How is Abby doing now?”

“Same”

“Do you feel better?”

“Ya” I said lying.

“Okay” The operator said believing me, “The ambulance just turned onto your street, can you go unlock the door?”

“Sure” I said as I quickly moved to open the front door.

While I was doing this action, I heard sirens coming down the street, My vision was starting to blur, ‘What are you wearing?”

“White shirt, blue shorts, green cast right leg” Was all I managed to mutter as I saw the people running towards me, as I started to fall to the ground.

“Gotcha” A husky voice said, as I felt my body being stopped abruptly and gently laid to the ground, “Thanks we got it from here” I heard him say, probably telling the operator that the emergency vehicles were here.

I closed my eyes, waiting for the dizziness to pass over when I remembered that Abby was the one who need attention, “Abby, needs help” I muttered and opened my eyes just in time to seem a team of medics run into the house, “Kitchen floor” I muttered, “Soy” was the rest I managed before I was consumed again by another spell of dizziness.

“Sir, please try to keep your eyes open, your sister is being taken care of, Can you tell me what hurts.”

“Head, Foot, Elbow” I said barely able to think, for my foot was supposed to be hurting.

“okay, can you tell me your name?”

“Kyle”

“Good, Kyle, do you feel dizzy?”
I nodded my head as I felt myself being slid onto a gurney, “Kyle, verbal answers if possible, are you allergic to anything?”

“Codeine and Penicillin”

“Thanks kid, When was the last time you ate”

“Breakfast” was all I could remember, it was almost two o’clock now. I watched the medic pull me into a sitting position and grab something out his bag

“Can you drink this juice?”

Immediately after drinking the juice I started to feel better, “Thanks” I said handing him the bottle back. “Where is Abby?” I said unbuckling myself from the gurney, to see my sister, still unconscious, being loaded into a different ambulance.

“Kyle, can you please stay still, your blood sugar is low and you lost a lot of blood,” My medic said preparing an IV and bandages for my arm.

Quickly I buckled myself back in and laid back, feeling dizzy again from the brief movements. “I need to be with Abby though” I said with a clear tone of giving up

“Abby, is going to be okay” the medic said relaxed and turning with the needle and a sanitary wipe. “I need you to relax your arm, this is going to put fluids and sugar into your body.”
“Okay,” I said relaxing and starting to close my eyes when the medic said, “So how did you hurt your foot?”

“soccer” I said, ‘Owe” I jerked my elbow from him

“Sorry, but this cut needs to be cleaned out”

The next thing I knew my dad was pacing in front of my hospital bed, trying to figure out what his plans were.

“Nothing like getting surgery and then a few stitches eh?” he kept pacing “Abby has to stay overnight, and I don’t want you to stay home alone just in case something happens and because you aren't supposed to be moving around”

“Can’t I stay with Pat?” I suggested knowing that Nick was out of town for a soccer tournament with the team. I was a little upset that they would not let me go at first, but in the end it was probably a good decision, for I still needed help with things.

“I guess, I mean They have a game tonight, but I think Sam (my dad’s partner) could watch you during the game.” He said. “I’ll call him, why don’t you get dresses, since you are technically free to leave when you are ready.”

“Okay dad” I said slowly getting out of bed and using the bed rail for support put on my slacks and shirt on, by the time I left the room, using crutches of course my dad was reentering the hospital.

“hey, dad so what’s the plan?”

“You are going to stay at Pat’s tonight, and I am skipping work, but I need to go in and help set up, so I’ll take you over.” I nodded my head, “WE will have to stop at home to grab your meds, but I was just going to run in and get them.”

“Ok sounds good, Can I see Abby?”

“Sure, but it will be quick because we need to get over to Mariucci” my dad said taking the crutch from under my hurt arm replacing the crutch with his shoulder. I hobbled with the help of dad down to Abby’s room.

When I walked through the door I saw Abby, looking much better than she did before, “Kyle!”

She said hoarsely and excitedly opening her arms for a hug.

“Hey Abby, How are you feeling?” I said setting my crutch aside and giving her a hug.

“Okay, Are you okay?”

“I’ll be fine” I said standing back up and leaning against the bed.

I looked at my dad and he told me that we needed to go, “Abby, get some rest I will see you tomorrow”

“Bye, Kyle” Abby said sounding sad.

“Kyle” My mom said following me and dad out of the room, “be careful, please, and thanks for being calm and there today” she said giving me a hug.

“I will, I’ll call you in the morning, tell me if you here any news”

“I will” She said letting me go and I was off.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment, apologies for mistakes