Status: This is my short story I wrote for a class. Hope you like it. It isn't smut by the way.

Rayne

Johnny's Saloon

Thinking back to that time makes me smile. Because it’s now 2007 and this fall their new CD comes out. Their last record went Gold. They probably wouldn't remember me; they now have a multitude of fans.

I still carry what Brian told me. I love the guitar, but I’m scared I won’t go very far. That dream seems out of my league.

I leave the beach and walk all the way to Johnny’s Saloon. I have a fake I.D. I hardly ever use courtesy of Jackie. I want to stop thinking about the future and have a drink. I also want to get out of this scorching weather.

I walk in and head to the bar. “Can I see your I.D.?” the bartender asks. I hand him my I.D. and he scans it for a second. “Okay what can I get you?”

I think for a second, “I’ll have a Jack and Coke.” I must have been thinking about the future a lot today because it’s already 5 pm. He brings me my drink. I take a sip, and it tastes so harshly of whiskey. I’m not much of a drinker, but the occasion called for it. I notice someone sit beside me. I glance and do a double take. It’s Brian.

“What can I get you today Brian?” the bartender asks in a friendly tone.

“I’ll have what she’s having.” I look at him and he is smiling at me. I decide to break the silence that lingers after the bartender brings his drink.

“You probably don’t remember me but I’m Sam. When I was a kid I met you after your second show at Chain Reaction.”

He nods and says “No I remember you. You wanted to be just like me right?”

I smile and take a sip of my drink. “Yeah, but now I’m not so sure.”

He frowns at me “You still play don’t you. You seemed so sure.” He takes a big gulp of his drink.

“I do, a lot actually. I just don’t think I will find a career with it.” I say and then take a sip of my drink.

He fiddles with the straw and says finally “I think you shouldn't over think your dream. You’re only 16 right?” I nod and look to see if the bartender isn't hearing him say that I was only 16.

“Exactly why you should pursue your dream at your own pace; join a band, go to MIT. Whatever, you will love what you do either way. It’s up to you though. You could start your own band actually.”

I blush, “I would but I’m shy. I've been like this since…”

Brian looks at me puzzled. “What…If you don’t mind me asking.”

I take a few breaths. “Ever since my mother died. She needed a transplant that only my Aunt could give her. We couldn't afford anything else. But for an unknown reason, she said no. She must have had some reason, selfish either way. I don’t know…” We go quiet for a few moments. And I’m surprised I’m unloading like this onto my guitar idol. Aren't I supposed to scream or jump up and down meeting him?

Finally he says “I’m sorry, for your loss and your Aunts lack of compassion. But you shouldn't let that affect you; your life decisions and your personality.”

He finishes his drink, and I say “I used to want to be like my Aunt. I didn't want to be a housewife like my mom. I looked up to Christie so much. That’s why I wanted to be a nurse, which is what she was. Then I wanted to be a teacher and now a guitarist.” I never open up to anyone like this, only Jackie but I’m so comfortable around my idol.

“You could teach guitar too. Get a teaching degree in music, or teach guitar. That would make an excellent career.” I nod and smile at him. I hadn't thought of that.

We continue to talk about guitars, his tours and how the fame has been treating his band and him. It’s amazing how far a person can go with their talent. I look at my phones time.

“Thanks for the advice. I feel better about that now. I really have to go though. My friends are probably worried about me.” I know that’s a lie but we had been talking for a while and I don’t want to bother him too much longer.

He says “Alright, I’m meeting up with my band-mates anyways. I hope I see you around. Oh and by the way, being hurt can be inspiring for music too. A good outlet for writing a song, just remember that.”

We say goodbye and I give him a quick hug which felt almost as warm as my Aunt’s.
Before I reach the door, Brian’s band mates come through the door. I pause and move out of the way so they can get to the bar. I smile and nod at them and they do the same back. I look back at Brian to see him wave them over then look at me and give me a thumbs up.

After having this day soaked in thought I have a sense of accomplishment. I couldn't leave Huntington Beach, but I can make most of my life here, especially if I use my passion here. I’m in the music capitol of California. But right now I’ll enjoy my summer with my dad, Jackie, and other friends. I have an idea what I can do. And that’s what life is full of; ideas. And the idea of building my life sounds great.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that's the end.