Love's Spiral

~124

The alpha was trying to get in. It was almost like there was no stopping him. Even if Scott could get to the door and push against what he was, they still weren’t strong enough to keep it out.

Spencer saw how scared everyone looked. She could only imagine how frightened Lydia, Allison, and Jackson were not knowing what was behind that door. Then again, she wasn’t sure which was more terrifying: knowing or not knowing. There had to be some way out. With as many nooks and crannies that were in the school, one of them had to lead to the outside. It was all a matter of figuring out which one worked to their advantage.

Spencer gave Stiels’ hand a squeeze to get his attention. “C’mon, Stiles. I know that brain of yours is working about a mile a minute, but maybe it could move a little faster. Damn thing is about to break through any second now and Scott and I can’t hold him off.”

Stiles stammered nonsense for a moment, coming up with his plan. “Uh, the, uh, the kitchen. The door out of the kitchen leads to the stairwell.”

“Which only goes up.” Scott counted from behind him.

“Up is better than here, Scott!” Spencer shouted. There was more pounding. Screw were starting to come out of the hinges. “Let’s go!” Spencer pushed, turning on her heels and directing everyone through the back door. They maneuvered through that door and a short hallway to another door that led to stairs.

Spencer felt as if this was just a horror movie. She fell asleep watching one and now she’s having a nightmare about it. Pretty soon she’d wake up in her bed in her new home. Derek would be alive, sitting outside her window. The six of them wouldn’t be in any danger. Spencer only hoped she’d wake up soon.

Spencer rushed herself up the stairs and into the science hall on the second floor. Stiles and Scott were in front of the group and Spencer took up the rear.

Scott attempted to lead the group into a locked classroom.

Lydia tried Harris’ classroom across the hall and sighed in relief when it opened.

Spencer groaned. “Even when I’m fighting for my life, I can’t seem to get away from this man.” She said before running into the classroom after everyone was clear.

Scott had a spare chair ready to prop under the door.

Spencer wasn’t sure that it would hold the alpha, but at least he tried.

Once in the room, no one said anything. Everyone was trying to catch their breath from running through the halls.

Spencer cursed when there was a pain in her chest. She was going to start working out again after this.

The growls came upon the room and everyone stayed quiet.

Lydia clamped her hand over her mouth which was a good thing because if she hadn’t, Spencer might have.

They all held their breath as it went right passed the room. Everyone waited another second before letting out the breaths they were holding.

“Jackson,” Scott said, “How many people can fit in your car?”

“Five, if someone squeezes on someone’s lap.” He responded.

“Good thing there’s six of us.” Spencer said sarcastically.

“We can just tie you to the roof.” Jackson sneered.

Spencer fake laughed and sent Jackson a dirty look.

Allison looked to Jackson, shocked. “Expect it still won’t work because I barely fit in the back.”

“It doesn’t matter.” Stiles spoke up. “There’s no getting out without drawing attention.”

Spencer nodded. “He’ll find us before we even get to the door.”

Scott hit Stiles on his arm to get his attention as he moved away from the group. “What about this?” The group followed him to the door on the side wall of the room. “This door leads to the roof. We can go down the fire escape to the parking lot in, like, seconds.”

Spencer tapped Stiles’ arm and pointed to the lock.

Stiles nodded. “That’s a deadbolt. We wouldn’t be able to jimmy that door open.”

“And, I hate to break it to you, but I’m drained after my attempt at shielding the thing in. I’m not sure that I would be any help with my stuff.”

Scott sighed, defeatedly. Then he stopped, coming up with another plan. “The janitor has a key.”

“And which one of us is going to go out there and retrieve it off of his dead body?” Spencer asked.

“Can you somehow get it here?” Scott asked Spencer.

“Do you not listen to me when I talk?” she asked condescendingly.

“Okay, sorry. In case you couldn’t see, I’m under quite a lot of pressure here.”

“I know that. This is why I’m here, Scott. To help. So let me help.” Spencer begged.

Scott looked at her for a moment, unsure of if he should let Spencer take the lead. He took a deep breath and nodded to her.

“Okay. We can go get it.” Spencer said.

“Um, you’re not going anywhere.” Stiles said.

“We can find him by scent. I’m sure we can find him if Scott and I team up.”

“Spencer, what aren’t you getting from ‘you’re not leaving my sight’.”

“Stiles, we don’t have time for this.” Spencer told him. “The alpha is out there. It’s a big school - ”

“And I can handle it, myself.” Scott intervened.

Spencer gawked at him, upset that he wasn’t siding with her.

“We don’t need to fight about it. I can focus on the scent better if I’m not worried about keeping you safe, too.”

“Scott, you just said that I could help you. And now you’re changing your mind?”

“While I think that going out there in any form is an incredibly terrible idea, I’d feel better if Spencer was safe.” Stiles told his two friends.

“You can’t protect me forever.” Spencer moped, walking towards the rest of the group.

Scott nodded to Stiles, as the lanky boy stared after the girl. “I’m getting the key.”

“Scott, no.” Stiles said, quietly, but he didn’t listen.

Scott walked to Allison to talk to her before he left. I’m sure she thought going alone was stupid, just like Spencer did. The redhead knew that he was a supernatural being, but up against the alpha, he’s already proven that he couldn’t handle it. The alpha was too strong. Scott barely knew how to do what he did.

“You can’t go out there unarmed.” Allison fought.

Scott looked around the classroom for anything that he could use as a weapon, and stopped at a pointer that the teacher was used to point to something on the board.

Spencer rolled her eyes. Everyone else had the exact same reaction.

“Well, it’s better than nothing.” Scott explained.

“There’s gotta be something else.” Stiles said, hopefully.

“There is.” Lydia said, she looked over at the chemical cabinet.

Spencer’s eyes lit up. “Lydia, you’re a genius.” Spencer told her friend.

Stiles furrowed his brow at the girls. “What are we gonna do? Throw acid on him? Haven’t you ever heard of ‘don’t poke the angry bear’?”

“No. We make a fire bomb. In there is everything you need to make a self-igniting Molotov cocktail.”

“Self-igniting…?”

“Molotov cocktail.” Spencer reiterated, forcing him to listen.

Everyone, but Spencer, looked to Lydia, a little confused that she would know something so smart. Spencer remembered Lydia as a person who was always willing to hide how smart she really was.

“What?” Lydia asked. “I read it somewhere.”

Stiles sighed. “We don’t have a key for that either.”

Jackson let out a breath and slammed his elbow into the glass on the door.

“Yeah, that could work.” Spencer said.

Lydia and Spencer made their way to the cabinet to take out the chemicals that they would need to make the cocktail. Spencer handed a couple to Lydia as she began to mix them together.

“Hand me the sulfuric acid.” Lydia said.

“Jackson, that one is over by you.” Spencer pointed out, looking over Lydia at Jackson. “Make sure you give her the right one.”

Jackson nodded. He handed her one of the bottles to Lydia and she finished the Molotov cocktail. Lydia plugged it with a cork and handed the flask to Scott.

Allison was still reluctant to let him go. “No.” She said, shaking her head. “No, this is insane. You cannot do this, Scott. You cannot go out there.”

“We can’t just sit here, waiting for Stiles’ dad to check his phone messages.” Scott argued.

“You could die. Don’t you get that? He’s killed three people already.”

“And we’re next. If we don’t get out of here, he’ll come after us next.” Scott informed her.

Allison sighed.

“Somebody has to do something.” He said, walking towards the door.

“Scott, just stop.”

Spencer turned away from the two of them so that they could have their moment. She knew that nothing was going to stop Scott from going as he would do anything for his friends to keep them safe, especially since he was the reason that they were being chased by a raging alpha werewolf. “Lydia, are you okay?” Spencer asked her old friend.

Lydia only nodded.

Spencer bit her lip and put a hand on her arm. “We’ll get out of here, Lyds.”

Lydia looked up to Spencer, nodding smiling slightly.

“Pence?”

Spencer looked up when she heard Scott’s nickname for her.

“Lock the door behind me.”

Spencer nodded, but as she did, Allison grabbed Scott’s face and pulled him in for a hard kiss. Spencer knew what that kiss was. It was Allison begging Scott not to go Spencer had given that kiss to Derek on the multiple occasions where he would leave her room, going who-knew-where. Even after the kiss, he would leave, just as Scott did.

Scott left the room silent.

Spencer went over to the door to do as Scott ordered her to. She turned around looking at the four people left in the room and sighed.

Stiles caught her eye and showed a one-sided smile.

Spencer shook her head slightly and went to sit down at one of the student tables. She put her head down on the desk and covered her head with her arms. She was focusing on her hearing, trying to follow Scott through the school.

Stiles on the other hand was a complete mess. After Spencer turning away from him because he didn’t want her to go, it felt like he was hit with a truck full of bricks. He hoped that after the six of them were out, she’ll realize that he was just trying to keep her safe. He didn’t want her thrown into the line of fire with Scott. Scott at least had his wolfiness to him. Spencer only had attributes of it. She could control her claws, hearing, and her sense of smell, but so far she hasn’t been seen as faster or more agile than a normal human. The only thing she could use to protect herself was her magic and she wasn’t totally learned in the subject. Stiles knew that she was pushing herself to learn. He had often found her in her room or outside in the fenced-in backyard while his dad was at work.

Stiles also worried about his best friend. Even though Scott did have the wolf side to him, he still didn’t know what all he could do. Stiles was sure that Scott couldn’t go up against the alpha, even with the advantage that he had from Lydia.

Everyone gathered around the table that Spencer was sitting at, bring her from her mind, and making her sit up. Allison climbed on the table to sit down while everyone else leaned against it. Stiles was against the wall.

Allison crossed her legs and put her elbows on her knees to hold her head with her hands. She shook her head. “I don’t get this. I don’t get why he’s out there, and why he left us. And I can’t… I can’t stop my hands from shaking.”

“Everything Scott does is for us, Allison.” Spencer grumbled. She didn’t like the girl to begin with and all the whining and complaining was starting to annoy her. It’s like Scott was all of a sudden just hers, and she thought no one else cared that he was out there.

Jackson sent Spencer a look. He grabbed Allison’s hands to console her. “It’s okay.”

Spencer eyes shot from Allison and Jackson to Lydia. Needless to say Lydia didn’t look happy at all. Neither did Stiles, Spencer noticed when she quickly looked to her friend. He cared for Lydia and didn’t like to see her being treated like that by Jackson.

“It’s okay.” Jackson said again. “It’s gonna be okay.”

Allison nodded shakily. “Okay.”

Spencer paused, hearing something jingle in her head. She sat up straight and looked to Stiles. Scott had found the keys. The next sound scared her. It was loud and Spencer felt as if she had to cover her ears, but she knew that wouldn’t do anything. It was the bleachers from the gym. They were closing. The body was under the bleachers and so was her friend.

“Scott.” She whispered.

Everyone looked to her.

“What?” Allison asked.

Spencer shook her head, looking right at Stiles. “Nothing. I am just worried about Scott.”

Stiles sighed, knowing that this meant that he was in trouble.

Spencer got up and moved around the table to stand in front of Stiles. She reached up and hugged him rightly, him holding her right back. Spencer focused her own thoughts and pushed them to Stiles. He’s okay. She thought.

Stiles pulled away from her, confused.

Spencer still held his hand, knowing that this was the only way she’d be able to focus her thoughts to him without wearing her down. He was in the gym. He’s got the keys.

Stiles sighed in relief.

“Jackson, you handed the sulfuric acid, right?” Lydia asked, aloud.

Spencer turned to eye Jackson, seeing if he would lie to the group.

“It has to be sulfuric acid. It won’t ignite if it’s not.”

“I gave you what you asked for, didn’t I?” Jackson said, angrily.

In that second, Spencer knew that he was lying. She figured that Jackson would probably have given Lydia the wrong stuff on purpose.

Lydia nodded. “Yeah, I’m sure you did.”

Spencer looked to Lydia with a face asking if she really believed what he’d said.

Lydia shrugged and looked to the table where the ingredients were still sitting.

Spencer focused again on her hearing. Maybe she would be hear a blast if she could figure out when Scott would throw it. Only as she listened, she heard the crash of the glass breaking, but no explosion. Spencer pulled herself out of Stiles’ grasp and bolted to the door.

“Spencer!” Stiles called after her as she made her way down the hallway.

“Stay there!” Spencer called, without looking back. She ran as fast as she could, not caring if she wasn’t going to be able to breath afterwards.

Scott needed help.

Spencer never should have let him leave that classroom alone. Going up against an alpha, you would need numbers, strength.

Spencer headed down the stairs and to the gym, hoping that Scott was there. She arrived to see Scott slide across the gym floor and the alpha hover over him, grabbing his face with his claws. She gasped from the doorway.

Scott turned his head towards her.

“Scott!” She screamed, feeling angry, but frightened. She felt the power build up in her chest. All the anger, fear, and will to get her friend free. She pushed all that build up away from her and onto the beast in the center of the room.

In the next moment, the alpha was flung off of Scott and into the bleachers. Only instead of being knocked off it’s feet, it picked right back up again and headed straight towards Spencer.
Spencer tried to get away, but her legs gave out, being too tired from the burst of power she set out on the alpha.

The werewolf approached her, not quickly since he knew that she wasn’t going anywhere. It looked at her for a few seconds before it lifted its head and let out a loud roar to fill the whole school.

Spencer knew that the other teenagers on the other side of the school would be able to hear. The roar hurt her ears, so she lifted her hands to her ears to drown it out. It didn’t help her at all. She screamed along with the alpha.

Suddenly, the growl was gone and it was just her and Scott alone in the gym.

Scott sat up in his spot. “Spencer?” he said, getting up to walk over to her. “Oh, God, Stiles is gonna kill me. Spencer, please be okay.” He told her.

Spencer didn’t get to respond before Scott jerked and fell onto all fours. It was almost like he was in pain.

Scott was writing as if he was being scratched.

Spencer tried to sit herself up. Her arms were shaking as she pushed herself up. “Scott?” she called. “Scott, what’s wrong?” He couldn’t answer, but Spencer started to feel the werewolf come out of him. “Scott, listen to me. You’re not that thing inside you. You are Scott McCall.”

Scott continued to growl as Spencer tried to stop the transformation, but it wasn’t working.

“You’re my best friend, Scott. Focus on me.”

Scott turned over onto his stomach and continued to move and shout out in pain. Soon, his head was up and he was wolfed out.

“Scott?” Spencer whispered.

Scott looked to her. It wasn’t the werewolf Scott that she had seen at the clinic earlier with Derek. This Scott was more feral. The alpha had drawn out the wolf in him. This scared Spencer.
Spencer tried to move away from him, pushing herself away with her legs. She couldn’t get very far before Scott was moving towards her quickly.

Scott picked her up by the front of her shirt.

Spencer cried out. “Scott, please! Don’t do this!”

Scott wouldn’t listen. Instead he slammed her up against wall, hitting her head in just the right spot to knock her unconscious.