Love's Spiral

~125

“Spencer!” Stiles called, seeing her lying on the floor of the dirty gymnasium floor.

Scott had remembered seeing her just before he changed, but after that he didn’t really remember much.

Stiles ran across the gym, his friend, and father behind him. “Spence…” Stiles whimpered, his heart breaking. He shouldn’t have let her hand go. Stiles reached for her, putting his hand behind her head to help sit her up. He pulled away after feeling a stickiness encompass it. The teenager pulled his hand away to see a deep red liquid. “Oh, God…” Stiles breathed.

“Stiles, stand back.” The sheriff ordered, pushing his son away from the girl. He pushed the girls hair away from her neck to find the pulse spot. He sighed, looking to the boys. Both let out a huge breath of air they didn’t realize they’d been holding. “She’s alive.” The sheriff turned back to Spencer and put one of her arms around his shoulders. He lifted her up and began to carry her back out to the front of the school.

The boys were on the older man’s tail.

The sheriff sat her down in one of the ambulances that had showed up and the EMT began working to wake her up. “Stay with her.” The sheriff ordered Stiles and Scott.

They both nodded as the sheriff walked back into the school to get some information from his deputies.

“What happened?” Stiles angrily asked his best friend.

“Not now.” Scott whispered back, gesturing to the EMT.

“Did you do this?” Stiles asked. “Huh?”

“Stiles. Can we talk about this later?”

Stiles groaned. “You’re not getting out of this.”

“Would you boys stop arguing?” A voice behind them begged. “I’m fine.”

The boys turned around to see Spencer sitting up on her own in the ambulance. This brought a huge smile to Stiles’ face. SCott was happy that she was seriously injured.

“Yeah, yeah. ‘I’m happy you’re okay’. I’m fine, guys, really. It’s just a scratch. But, we’ll talk about this later.

The boys nodded.

Spencer saw the sheriff come back out of the school. “Go deal with your dad. I’m sure he’s got some questions.”

“You sure that you’ll be okay?” Stiles asked.

Spencer nodded.

The EMT stopped her, holding her head still so he could examine the cut on her head.

The boys walked away to go answer any of questions that the sheriff might have.

Spencer fidgeted her hands, not at all excited about getting the stitches.

The EMT was messing with her hair and kept moving it all over the back of her head. “That’s strange.” The EMT muttered.

“What?” Spencer asked, trying to stop the hair that was falling forward from tickling her face. “Do I have lice or fleas or something?”

“No. There’s nothing. Not a scratch.” the EMT explained.

Spencer’s eyes widened.

“Where did all of this blood come from?”

“I’m not sure, but since there’s nothing wrong, can I go?” she asked, turning to look at the guy’s reaction.

“I suppose. That sheriff will want to talk to you.” Spencer followed the EMT’s eyes to see her three favorite people standing on the bottom of the steps of the school. She smiled and jumped out of the ambulance walking slowly over to them so that she wouldn’t get dizzy.

“I’m not making this up.” Scott said, as Spencer walked closer to the group.

“I know, I believe you. I do.” The sheriff insisted.

“No, you don’t!” Scott exclaimed. “You have this look like you feel back for me. Like you wanna believe me, but I know you don’t.” Scott stopped, frustrated with this whole night.

Spencer stood behind the sheriff, staring at Stiles, not really wanting to even look in Scott’s direction.

“Listen.” the sheriff stated. “We’re gonna search this whole school. We’re gonna find him. Okay? I promise.”

Scott nodded to the man, even though he didn’t find this reassuring enough. Scott knew that the body was probably long gone.

“How’s Spencer?”

“I’m okay.” She said, small-like from behind the man.

The sheriff turned around and noticed her standing there. He instantly took her into his arms and hugged her. “I’m glad you’re okay, kiddo.”

Spencer nodded against the sheriff’s chest.

“We’ll get you home soon.”

“Sheriff!” another deputy called out from a distance.

The sheriff nodded his head, saying that he was coming. “Stay.” he said, pointing at the boys. “All three of you.”

Spencer nodded her head and stepped closer to Stiles, wrapping herself around him.

“Well, we survived, dude. You know? We outlasted the Alpha.” Stiles cheered.

Scott shook his head. He couldn’t believe that Stiles was happy about what just happened.

“It’s still good, right? Being alive?”

“When we were in the chemistry room, he walked right by us.” Scott explained.

Spencer looked down and laced her hand with one of Stiles’ to focus on it.

“You don’t think that it heard us? You don’t think that it knew exactly where we were?”

Stiles shrugged. “Well, then how come we’re still alive?”

“It wants me in it’s pack.” Scott stressed. He sighed. “But, I think, first… I have to get rid of my old pack.”

Stiles wasn’t understanding. “What do you mean? What old pack?”

Spencer understood completely. “He means us. Allison. Jackson, Lydia. You… And me.” She said, sighing.

Stiles threw back his head, grasping it now. “The alpha doesn’t wanna kill us.”

“He wants me to do it.” Scott finished. “And that’s not even the worst part.”

“How in holy hell is that not the worst part, Scott?”

“He wanted to.” Spencer clarified. “He wanted to kill us. And he almost succeeded with me.” Spencer looked to Scott, finally. “Scott, I know that you really didn’t want to hurt me. I’m hoping that is the reason I’m still standing here. The alpha made you do it., but I’m almost certain that you held back when you slammed me against the wall.” Spencer lifted her chin to look up at Stiles.

Stiles was avoiding eye contact with both of his friends. He was frustrated with his best friend for almost killing his girlfriend. Stiles was also mad at Spencer for defending Scott.

Scott look past both Stiles and Spencer to another ambulance. In the back of it, was someone he thought was long gone. Scott walked over to the ambulance and Stiles and Spencer followed.

“There you are.” Deaton said.

“How…?” Scott started.

“I told you it wasn’t him.” Spencer boasted from behind Scott.

“Spencer.” Deaton smiled. “I’m glad you’re okay.”

“You, too, Doc.”

“How did you…?” Scott started again.

“Get out?” Deaton finished. “Not easily. And from what they tell me, I’m alive because of you. I think I owe you a raise.” Deaton laughed.

“Hey, I helped!” Spencer complained.

“We’ll talk about it at work.”

Sheriff Stilinski came up behind Spencer, putting a hand on Stiles’ shoulder. “Kids, come on, let’s let the EMT’s do their job. You can talk to him later.” The sheriff pulled his son along and Scott followed.

“I’m sorry.” Spencer said. “I tried - ”

“We’ll talk about it later. Take the weekend off.”

Spencer nodded and walked, joining Stiles, who was standing next to his father’s patrol car, waiting for him to finish up.

Scott ran off towards what looked like Allison.

“Will he ever let that girl just be alone?” Spencer asked Stiles.

“No. Especially not after tonight.” He paused, looking at Spencer as she watched the other couple talk. “I can agree with him though.”

Spencer looked up at him with a furrowed brow.

“A lot of crap went down tonight. He’s just worried about her. Just like I am of you.” Stiles responded. “How’s your head? Are you okay?”

Spencer nodded, biting her lip. “I must have healed. There was no cut on my head. I didn’t even need stitches.”

“That’s weird. I’m still not letting you out of my sight.”

“I don’t think you need to worry about me anymore.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean…” Spencer took a deep breath. “I mean, I’m done with the werewolves. I’m staying out of it.”

“What? Why?”

“I don’t know if you remember what really happened, but Derek’s dead, Stiles.” Spencer’s eyes started tearing, but she tried to hold them back. “He’s dead because he was helping us with the alpha. I don’t want to be next. If you want to risk it, I’m not supporting that you help Scott, but I’m not gonna stop you because he needs help. I just don’t want to be a part of it.”

Stiles stared at her for a minute trying to read her. He wanted to see what she was really scared of. Stiles was worried that she was really broken up over Derek dying. He realized that she had really cared for the dumb werewolf, and it was more than she had ever let on. Stiles leaned forward kissing her forehead.

“You kids ready to get home?” The sheriff asked as he walked towards the car.

Spencer nodded and got in the back seat.

Stiles slid in next to her.

“Okay.” Stiles said to Spencer once the door was closed. “I’ll keep you out of it.”

Spencer bit her lip. “Thank you.”

Stiles nodded, grabbed her face, and pulled her in for a hard kiss.

!@#$#@!

The next day went by slowly for Spencer. The school had decided to close on that Friday so they could finish examining the crime scene and get things at the school cleaned up in time for school bright and early on Monday.

Unfortunately this meant staying home with Stiles watching her every move. Stiles was worried about her.

Spencer understood, but she was fine. She didn’t have a single scratch on her body. Granted, her head was a little messed up after witnessing her werewolf friend try to kill her. Spencer was trying not to focus on it much and spent the day pushing forwards through her homework for the next week, hoping she would be able to just muddle through the next week of school.

The girl was sitting in her room on her bed, headphones in so she could drown out Stiles who was sitting at her desk feverishly typing on his laptop.

Stiles probably wasn’t working on any homework, even though Spencer had told him it was probably a smart idea. He hardly ever took her advice though.

Spencer’s music stopped suddenly and the sound going to her headphones had turned into her ringtone. She picked the phone off of her bed and looked at the number. She didn’t recognize it, but answered anyway. “Hello?” she said into the phone.

“Spencer?” the voice asked.

“Yes…?” she said slowly.

“Hi. It’s, uh, it’s Isaac.”

“Oh, hi!” she said, cheerfully. “What’s up?”

“Well, I was j-just wondering if you were s-still gonna help me st-study.”

Spencer’s jaw dropped. “Oh, crap. I completely forgot.”

“Th-that’s okay. I’ll just see you M-monday. I’m at w-work anyway.”

“No! I promised you that I’d help, didn’t I?” Spencer asked over the phone, getting out other bed and going to her closet to change. “Besides, if you get a bad grade, so do I.” Spencer held the phone between her shoulder between her shoulder and the side of her face. “Are you there now?”

“Y-yeah. But it’s o-okay. I-if you have p-plans, you don’t have to - ”

“Isaac, I don’t have plans. I’ll be right there.”

“Okay.”

Spencer hung up her phone and tossed it out of the closet door as she continued to dress herself in the small closet. She came out and saw that Stiles was staring at her curiously. Spencer pretended to ignore him as she tossed her chemistry book and notes into her backpack.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Stiles asked his redheaded friend.

“What are you? My father?” Spencer retorted.

“No, but I thought we were just going to stay together this weekend. Remember I got that…” he waited a moment, “stuff. We were gonna get Scott and go out to the woods.”

“As much as getting drunk in the middle of the woods, which, by the way is the place where a majority of the murders in this town happen, I might pass.”

“Oh, come on, Spence. It will be fun. I don’t want to go without you.”

Spencer sighed. “We can do it tomorrow. I’m sure Momma Mel is on Scott’s tail about him going anywhere right now. She’s on duty tomorrow. We’ll go then.” She moved around Stiles to leave her room.

“It’s not even about the drinking. I don’t want to be away from you right now.”

“I just need a couple hours. I’m going to study with a friend.”

“What friend?”

“A normal friend. One who doesn’t know about what really happened the other night and that doesn’t know what I am.”

“Who?” he asked again.

Spencer sighed. “Isaac Lahey.”

“Who’s that?”

“Stiles, he’s in, like, all of our classes. And on the lacrosse team…” she stated, raising an eyebrow at him. “I promise you that he is. I’m not making this up.”

“Okay, so where are you going?”

“The library.” Spencer said, without skipping a beat. Yeah, she was lying, but she didn’t think Stiles would like the fact that she was going to the graveyard. Luck wasn’t on their side as of late and she was sure staying out late in one of the creepiest places in town would add to his worrisome antics.

“Which library?”

“The only library in town that’s open. You know, considering that the school is closed for some strange reason.”

“I’m just looking out for you.”

“Well, don’t!” Spencer shouted.

Stiles took a step back at her harshness.

Spencer let out a groan and rubbed her forehead. “Stiles, I’m fine, okay? It’s just been a long day. I turn around and you’re always right there. I just need some space. Let me go study with Isaac and I will be back in a few hours. I promise.”

Stiles looked at her and saw how much she was pleading to him with just her eyes. He had been hovering over her all day.

Spencer could handle herself and he knew that. And it wasn’t like she was going to find trouble. She was only going to study with a completely normal friend.

Stiles nodded once to his friend. “Okay. Be safe.”

Hearing Stiles say that she could go brought a smile to Spencer’s face. She walked forward, pushing her bag further up her shoulder and hugged him tightly, putting her head on his chest.

Stiles hugged her shoulders.

“I’ll be good, I promise. And I’ll call you if anything happens.”

!@#$#@!

“Isaac?” She called upon arriving to the cemetery. “Isaac? Where are you?” she walked forward into the graveyard, passing by a huge gravestone, taking the shape of an angel. “Wow, people really do think highly of themselves.” She said aloud sarcastically.

“Es-especially in death.” a voice said behind her.

Spencer spun around quickly seeing Isaac standing in a hole dug for a coffin next to her. The redhead let out the breath she had drawn quickly.

Isaac shrunk back into the hole, realizing he had scared her. “I-I’m sorry. I didn’t mean t-to scare you.”

Spencer smiled, holding her hand to her heart as if it would slow her heartbeat. “It’s just been a really weird day.”

“I kn-know what you mean.” Isaac responded.

Spencer held her hand down in the hole to help Isaac out of it.

Isaac took it, appreciatively, and pushed himself out of the grave. “D-did you hear about what happened at the school?”

“Did I?” Spencer laughed. “I was actually in the school when it happened.”

Isaac’s eyes widened. “O-oh gosh. I-if I knew, I-I never w-woulda brought it up. I-I wouldn’t have a-asked y-you to come here.”

“Isaac, it’s fine. I’m okay, really. nothing happened and I’m standing in front of you now. If I didn’t want to come, I would have told you. I want to help you.” Spencer smiled.

Isaac blushed.

Spencer laughed at his reddening face. “You’re cute, you know that?”

This made Isaac’s face heat up even more. He shrank into himself, folding his arms over his chest.

“Alright, so chemistry, right? Or do you still have work to do?”

Isaac shook his head. “I-I did a lot of my work y-yesterday when y-you said y-you’d help me here.”

“The owner doesn’t mind you just sitting here on the clock?”

“M-my d-dad runs the yard. What he doesn’t know won’t hurt him.”

“Why do you say it like that?”

“L-like what?”

Spencer opened her mouth to repeat what he said, but decided not to push. “Nothing. Never mind. I’m going crazy after last night.” Spencer reached into her bag and pulled out a couple of flashlights. “I knew it would be getting dark soon, and I didn’t know what kind of resources you had. I kinda stole them from the sheriff so don’t tell on me.” she said with a wink.”

“I won’t. A-as long as you don’t tell on me f-for slacking.”

“Wouldn’t dream of it. Then my goal of an ‘A’ goes down the drain.”

The two sat against the shed that had all of the tools Isaac would have needed to do the work around the graveyard. They worked on the chemistry for about a half hour before Isaac was starting to understand it and would smile when he was able to balance an equation correctly with guidance. Another thirty minutes and he was doing them all on his own.

“Y-you’re great at this.” Isaac said, closing his chemistry textbook. “Thanks for helping me, being my tutor.”

Spencer smiled. “Thank you for going along with Harris’s scheme. That man is out to get me, I swear.”

“Yeah, s-sorry about that. I really didn’t want to w-waste your time.”

“You’re not wasting my time. You’re actually saving me. Stiles hasn’t left my side all day. We should do this again, even if we’re not studying. Put the fact that we’re sitting on dead people, it’s kind of nice out here.” Spencer said, looking up at the star filled sky.

Isaac nodded, and followed his gaze. “Believe it or not, there’s a better view over here.” Isaac stood up and faced her, reaching for her hand.

Spencer smiled and took his head, pulled herself up and followed him back to the angel statue headstone. The two leaned against the back side of it, and looked up at the stars. Spencer let out a breath. “Wow.” She looked to Isaac. “The fact that you know where the best view of the sky is here, makes me think you’re out here a lot.”

Isaac nodded. “Just about every night.”

“Don’t you have friends?”

The boy shrugged. “K-kind of hard to have f-friends when you spend all your time with the d-dead and buried.”

“Well, I can be your friend.”

Isaac turned away from the sky to look at the girl.

“I know that sounds like we’re back in elementary school and meeting someone new. I don’t have to just be your tutor. I can be here for whatever you need me.”

Isaac looked down at his hands. “I’d like that.”