Love's Spiral

~131

Spencer used what strength she had left to keep the barrier around her and Scott. She was worried for her friend’s safety. What if the hunters decided that not finding any bodies wasn’t how they wanted this attack to go? The hunters would easily start searching the woods for them. They weren’t even far from the house; a hundred yards a most. Hardly hidden by any trees.

Spencer was frightened. She wasn’t sure of what she was supposed to do. She knew there was no way that she was going to be able to carry Scott. She could try using magic, but she was already focusing most of her strength on being able to have the barrier around them. Spencer couldn’t be found out by the hunters. She didn’t know if they hunter more than just werewolves and she didn’t want to find out.

The redhead was losing track of time. She didn’t know how long she had been sitting there with Scott passed out amongst the fallen leaves. Her focus on her spell was distracting her. She was losing strength. Her eyes were becoming heavy. Spencer knew they needed help, but she was not leaving Scott’s side. Even if she had left, there was no way that she’d make it very far.

It had been a long time, or at least, it felt that way, before she heard voices.

“Deaton, over here!”

Spencer couldn’t comprehend who the voice was coming from, but she heard Deaton’s name and that was all she needed to let go completely.

!@#$#@!

It was dark. That much she knew. Other than that, Spencer was drawing a blank as to where she was. It was cold and grimey. This place hasn’t seen the light of day in years, probably. It was like some sort of dungeon. She walked down a long hallway with stone walls and cobwebs in the edging. Everything in her gut told her to turn back, but she couldn’t. There was a reason that she was here.

Spencer came to a sliding door, that was half open. Sh was hesitant to enter, so she used her hearing to listen in. Maybe she didn’t need to go any further into the scary basement. There was a single heartbeat inside. It was strong, but the beating came slow. It was tired. It seemed like whoever it was, was close to giving up. She listened closer and heard a heavy sigh that was so close to being a grumble. She recognized it. Spencer quickly turned the corner into the room.

Derek was chained to a gate, one that reached from floor to ceiling. Where the hell was she where someone had this in their basement?

Spencer raced forward, seeming unnoticed by Derek. “Derek?” she questioned. She still didn’t even get a single look in her direction. “Derek!” she shouted, hoping that raising her voice would help. It didn’t. “Derek, hold on. I’ll get you out of here.” She reached up to check how his hands were attached to the gate. Her hands went straight through the lock and Derek. She furrowed her brow. “What the hell?” Out of confusion she took a few steps away from Derek.

Behind her, the half-open sliding door slid the rest of the way and a blonde woman appeared. She had an evil smirk on her face. One that told Spencer that what was coming for Derek, wasn’t going to be good.

“Hello, again, Derek.” the blonde sneered. “Are you going to help me out this time?”
Derek only glared up at her through his lashes. He was tired. Worn out, but he was still trying as hard as he could to hold on.

“That’s what I thought.” The woman walked over to a box she had set up.

Spencer’s eyes followed the wires that were coming from it all the way to Derek. They were attached to his side.

The blonde turned a single knob and Derek started to writhe and breathe heavier than before.

“Derek!” Spencer shouted, moving towards him, but stopping, remembering that she couldn’t help. She moved towards the box and tried to turn it off or push it off of the table, but she, knowingly, was unsuccessful with both.

What was she supposed to do? She couldn’t touch Derek. She couldn’t touch the objects around her. Derek was hurt. He was screaming in pain with each volt of electricity coursing through his body.

Spencer couldn’t help him. She started breathing heavily. She was worried for Derek. Her connection to his was growing stronger and with her feelings growing. Spencer was worried about losing the older werewolf and she couldn’t do anything to help it. She felt a shock in her side, exactly where the wires were against Derek’s body. She fell to her knees, being overwhelmed with pain. She had never felt anything like this.

“Derek!” She shouted, hoping that, somehow, he could hear her to help stop the pain. “Derek! Hold on!” She encouraged, but whether she was actually screaming at Derek or herself, she was unsure.

“Spencer!” She heard a woman shout.

Spencer looked up through strained eyes. The only other woman in the room was the hunter who was torturing Derek, and she wasn’t yelling at the redhead.

“Spencer, wake up!”

Wake up? Spencer thought. I’m sleeping?

That would make sense, though. She wasn’t physically there. She couldn’t be. Derek would hear her. She would be able to touch him, help him, show him that she was there.

“Spencer.” A male voice said. He was calmer than the woman. “It’s Doctor Deaton. You need to wake up now. You need to focus. Wherever you think you are, you’re not. You’re at the clinic, laying on a table.”

The image of Derek, the hunter, and the creepy basement began to fade away. Fluorescent lighting burned through her eyelids. The cold from an examination table stung her bare arms.

“I’m here, Spencer.” Deaton said, again. “Your mother is here. You’re not being hurt. You are safe.”

Spencer furrowed her brow and blinked against the lights. “Amy?”

“I’m right here, sweetie.” Amy answered her daughter.

“W-what are you doing here?” Spencer asked, sitting up on the table.

“Whoa, honey, slow down.” Amy put her hands on her daughter to keep her laying down on the table.

“No, I can’t. You’re not supposed to be here. You’re not supposed to know.” Spencer argued, pushing against her mother’s hold on her. “How do you know? Why are you here?” Spencer asked, defensively.

“I found the book a couple of years ago. Deaton filled me in. We’ve been keeping in contact ever since.” Amy said.

Spencer was in complete shock, both with her mother’s confession and that neither adult had told her that Amy knew.

“Spence, you need to relax. You over-exerted your energy protecting yourself and Scott.”
Spencer’s head snapped towards Deaton. “Scott? Is he alright? Where is he? He’s okay, right?”

“Scott’s fine.”

“Where is he?” Spencer pushed herself off of the table. She was unsuccessful in landing gracefully. As soon as her feet hit the ground, her legs gave out and she crumbled to the floor.

Deaton caught her by her arms and helped her back onto the table. “Amy, go get a bottle of orange juice from the fridge in my office.”

Amy quickly left the room.

“You need to sit for a while before getting up.” Deaton ordered.

“Where’s Scott? Is he okay?”

Amy came back with the bottle and handed it to Deaton who held it out to Spencer.

“Doc, where’s Scott?”

“Drink half of this, and I’ll tell you.” Deaton bargained.

Spencer groaned, snatched the bottle, and easily emptied it. “What happened to Scott?”

“Scott’s okay. He’s resting. Healing in the other room. He is fine, and should be waking up soon.”

“We got there just in time.” Amy added. “Deaton wasn’t sure how you hung onto your power for so long. It took us almost an hour to find you.”

“There were hunters. They attacked Derek’s house. Scott called me before and I rant here. He said Derek was gonna kill Jackon. Did you find them? Derek and Jackson?”

“We didn’t know they were there.” Deaton admitted. “We just got to the two of you and got out of there.”

Spencer felt like crying. “Are you sure? You didn’t see Derek?” She looked back and forth between her mother and the doctor. They both looked sympathetic.

“Spencer, what did you see in your dream?” Deaton asked.

“How did you - ?”

“You were screaming for Derek. You told him to hold on.”

“He’s in trouble.”

“How do you know that, honey?” Amy asked. “We don’t know where he is. He could just be driving around in his car somewhere. By the way, we are going to have a talk about you and him, and that car.”

“Amy,” Spencer groaned.

Amy held up her hands in defense.

“Your dream, Spencer.” Deaton suggested, trying to get back on track.

“It’s happened before. I had a dream a few weeks ago. One of the hunters shot him in my dream and I felt it.” Spencer grabbed her arm where she remembered the pain being. “The next day, he found us. Me, Scott, and Stiles. He’d been show with a wolfsbane bullet. Just like in my dream.”

“And in this dream? The one you just woke up from?”

“He was in some creepy underground bunker thing. Handcuffed to a fence or gate or something. There was a hunter and she was electrocuting him. At first, I didn’t feel it. But then, when I tried to help him down, I realized I couldn’t and I freaked out. I was watching Derek being tortured and I couldn’t do anything about it. That’s when I felt the shock. Exactly where the hunter had taped the wires on him.”

“How do you know it’s real?” Amy asked. She may have known about the supernatural and believed it to be real, but she didn’t understand anything outside of that. There were werewolves and witches, but everything that happened with the connection between them, was just coincidence.

“I just know, Amy!”

Amy stepped away from her daughter.

Spencer was starting to lose control of her temper, something her mother never saw happen. Spencer patted her jean pockets. “My phone. Where’s my phone?”

Deaton pulled her phone out of his own pocket and handed it to her.

Spencer scrolled through her contacts.

“Spencer, now’s not the time to check your Words with Friends.” Amy said.

“I’m not, Amy.” Spencer snapped. “Derek knows my ringer that I set for him. Either he’ll pick it up, send it straight to voicemail, or it’ll go there automatically after so many rings.” Spencer pushed Derek’s name in her contacts and it called.

“How does that help?”

Spencer helded up a finger as she counted the rings from the phone as they passed. Once it hit the voicemail, Spencer’s heart dropped. “He didn’t screen my call.”

“What does that mean?”

“It means he didn’t see the call. I know exactly how many rings it takes for Derek’s phone to automatically go to voicemail. When I call him, he either answers or sends it to voicemail after a couple of rings. He’s in trouble.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Yes, I do!” Spencer pushed, turning to Deaton. “I feel it. Doc, help me out, here.”

Deaton looked from Spencer to Amy. “Spencer and Derek have a very strong connection. It’s very possible that since Spencer is his emissary, or as your family’s book called it, helper. If Spencer was able to feel a gunshot wound that she thought was part of her dream, I believe her when she believes that Derek’s in trouble.”

“Thank you.” Spencer stressed.

“However, are you going to try and find Derek, or are you going to search for Peter and his accomplice?” Deaton questioned, being abnormally bague.

Spencer had assumed that he hadn’t told her about her father being the one who was helping Peter. She glanced from Deaton to her mother and back. “I need to find Derek. Scott and I can’t fight the Alpha without his help. I need him.”

Deaton nodded and left the room.

“Spencer, you don’t even know if he’s in trouble.”

“I do, though. You just don’t understand.”

“I do understand. I understand that you are dealing with some really weird shit right now. I might not understand every aspect about it, but I think that you are way in over your head.”

“I can handle it. I’d be able to handle it better with Derek. And he’s not answering his phone right now, so I have to find him.”

“He might not even be lost.”

“Amy, he was being held captive in my dream. Most of the time, he answers his phone when I call, and when he doesn’t, he sends it straight to voicemail. It never runs all the way out. He’s in trouble. I know it. He’s hurt and in pain, and it’s going to get worse if I don’t find him.”

“You’re so blinded by this boy, Spencer. I feel like you’re running off of your feelings for him.”

“So? What if I am?!” Spencer defended. “Is it so bad that my feelings for him could be what helps him in the end? I could save him.”

“You can’t go looking for him. This boy isn’t going to be your ‘forever’.” Amy said, making quotation marks with her fingers.

“I’m not saying he’s my forever! But he’s important to me!”

“I won’t allow you to run off on a feeling you’re getting from a dream you had.”

“What are you gonna do? Ground me?”

“Yes, actually. Since I’m your mom, I can do just that.” Amy took steps towards the table that was between her and her daughter.

“No!” Spencer slammed her fists down on the table, leaving dents in the metal.. She stared at her mother, watching her as she took the few steps back that she just took forward. “You can’t pick and choose. I have spend years of my life taking care of myself because my father couldn’t remember me. You chose to help him and told me to live a lie. You chose not to be my mom. You can’t decide now to uphold your responsibility, just because I’m finally being honest with you.”

Amy looked to her daughter, hardly recognizing the person standing in front of her.

“These past couple months living with the Stilinskis have been the best time of my life. I’ve - I’ve been grounded. Actually grounded, where I was stuck in the house for everything and couldn’t leave except for school and work. I’ve been asked if my homework was done as I was playing Xbox. I’ve been taken care of, for once. I’ve had family dinners where everyone sits around the table and we talk about our day.” Spencer took a breath. “You might be the woman who gave birth to me, but you are not my mom and you can’t tell me what not to do.”

Deaton came back into the room after a minute of silence. He had Spencer’s family book that was still disguised as a notebook. Deaton held it out to her. “There might be something in there that could help you find what you’re looking for.”

Spencer nodded and took the book from him, putting it on the table. “Derek. I’m looking for Derek.” She assured Deaton.

Deaton nodded.

Spencer held her hands above the book and said aloud “locating spell.” The pages of the book began to turn on their own, blowing in the non-existent wind. Then they stopped, opened to a page that Spencer read quickly. She was aware of both pair of adult eyes on her. “Doc?” Spencer called. “Do you have this… Uh, whatever it is?” She asked, pointing to the book.

Deaton walked over and read the word. “Yes, actually.” Deaton said, turning around, reaching onto the top shelf of one of his cabinets. He pulled out a tray of small jars and picked out one in particular, handing it to Spencer.

Spencer took the jar and put a couple pinches of the powdered material in the palm of her hand.

Deaton had been overlooking the spell and what she was about to do. “Spencer.” He said, getting her attention. “In order for the spell to work, you can’t just want it to work, you have to believe that it will.”

“Doc, I believe in just about anything anymore. This will work. I have to find Derek.”
Deaton nodded to Spencer’s affirmity.

Spencer raised her hand with the dust up to her face. “Lead me to what is lost.” She said, before blowing the powder off of her hand. Instead of falling to the floor, the dust gathered up and formed a ball of light right in front of her. Spencer let out a quick breath. “It worked.” She whispered at first. “It worked, right? This is what’s supposed to happen?” She asked aloud, looking to the adults.

Amy looked just as shocked as Spencer was.

Deaton only shrugged, not knowing what was supposed to happen. “Only one way to find out.”

Spencer nodded, putting on her fame face. “Derek Hale.” she whispered to the light in front of her. The light became brighter suddenly and began flying itself around the room a few times before pushing itself through the doorway. Spencer quickly followed after it, leaving the adults behind without a word. She followed the light deep into the woods, focusing her sense all on her sight, making sure she wouldn’t lose her guide to finding Derek.

Soon, Spencer began to recognize where she was heading. She was running in the direction of Derek’s burnt down house. “Why didn’t I even try here in the first place?” She asked herself, breathlessly. The light didn’t lead her up to the house though. It lead her to a hidden tunnel with branches and dead trees hiding it’s entrance. Spencer moved the weeds to the side and opened the gate.

Once Spencer was inside and was able to stand, she started to recognize where she was. The stone walls. The cold air around her. The cobwebs in the ceiling edging. It was the hallway from her dream. The dream where she found Derek chained to a gate. She hurried down the hall and pushed open the door she knew he was in. The light was in the room, encircling a passed out Derek.

“Derek.” She gasped, a smile forming on her face. She ran up to him and touched his face to try and wake him up. “Derek, wake up.”

Derek’s eyes slowly opened. “Red?” He coughed.

Spencer’s small smile turned big when she realized she wasn’t too late. She couldn’t control her happiness and pulled herself up, connecting their lips in a hard kiss.

Even if Derek had been able to stop her, he wouldn’t. Once Spencer pulled away, Derek became his serious self again. “What are you doing here? You need to get out of here.”

“Not without you.” She said, trying to recall the unlocking charm to set him free. She was playing with the lock, using magic for her attempts.

“How did you know?”

“I, uh, had another dream. You were here. With some blonde bitch.”

“Oh, now that’s not very nice.” A woman’s voice said.

Spencer turned around quickly to the voice. “Oh, God.” She said, quickly hiding her magic.

“Not quite.” She said. “Just your average everyday werewolf hunter.”

“Kate, leave her alone.” Derek defended.

“Kate? Like Allison’s Aunt Kate?”

“Nice to meet you, too.”

“Not that this isn’t pleasant, but you can’t hurt me. I’m not a werewolf and you have a code.”

“Oh, sweetie. I don’t follow any code.” She smirked.

Before Spencer could even blink, Kate threw her right arm into Spencer’s head, knocking her out cold. The last thing Spencer heard was Derek’s growl.