Love's Spiral

~206

After what happened at the Sheriff Station, Spencer and Derek had to get Isaac off of the streets. Every cop would be after him and in the emotional state he was in right now, he couldn’t be locked up. Derek threw Isaac in the back of his Camaro and drove the three of them to the underground subway station. Isaac moped down the stairs to their hideaway behind Derek and sat himself down on a crate by the wall. Derek was about to hide himself away in his personal subway car, but Spencer stopped him.

“You realize that this makes Isaac a fugitive.” Spencer pointed out.

“Yup.”

“‘Yup’? All you have to say is yup?”

“What were you expecting to happen?” Derek asked, turning to face her.

“I don’t know. Maybe leave him there? Figure out a way to calm him from the outside until they realize that he didn’t do it. I really didn’t think we were gonna break him out.”

“Calming him wouldn’t have done anything. It’s the full moon. He’ll be on edge all night and he’d be stuck in that cell all night, pushing him just a little bit further.”

“Yeah, I don’t like small places. I liked this plan better.” Isaac chimed.

“So what?” Spencer asked Derek, ignoring Isaac’s comment. “Is he just supposed to hang out here? Wait until they forget that they think he killed his father. Him running proves he’s guilty.”

“He’s not going to be ‘hanging out’. I’m going to train him.” Derek informed, crossing his arms.

“Then I’m staying, too.”

“No, you’re not.”

“Derek, he’s afraid of you right now. You alpha-wolfed in his face. He has a right to be.”

“I did that to stop him from killing your friend.”

Spencer pursed her lips and looked away for a second. “If you train him, you’ll kill him.” She said quietly. “I’m the only thing stopping you from doing that.”

Isaac raised his hand, “Yeah, I’d feel better if she was here.”

Spencer looked to Isaac and back to Derek with a smug smile on her face.

“Thank you, for that.” Derek said, sarcastically. “You still can’t stay. If you go missing at the same time he does, they’ll suspect you were in on it.”

Spencer groaned. “If you hadn’t bit him, he wouldn’t be in this mess.”

“And if you hadn’t said anything about him to me, I wouldn’t have bit him.” Derek snapped and walked into his subway car.

“Do you have to keep bringing that up?” Spencer called after him. She sighed and sat down on a crate next to Isaac. “I’m sorry.”

“I still can’t believe you told him about my dad.”

Spencer looked down at the floor. “I only did it because I thought I could trust him with personal stuff. He’s my alpha, I’m supposed to be able to trust him with what I tell him.” She stressed. “Look, we’ll figure this out. For now, I’ll bring down some food. A blow-up mattress for you. Maybe some camping supplies. My mom has a bunch of that survival crap in the safe house.”

Isaac furrowed his brow. “You have a safe house?”

“Long story, short. My mom’s paranoid about something. I’m pretty sure she had it built because she knew my dad’s family history with the supernatural.”

“You guys have a history?”

Spencer chuckled a laugh. “Yeah, sorta. Remember how I told you that there was more than werewolves in my world?”

Isaac nodded, listening to every word.

Spencer sighed. “I’m a witch. Or… I was. Before the bite. I’m really in the dark about what I can and can’t do anymore. I know I can do this…” Spencer said, looking to a lamp above them. She flicked her finger upward and made the lamp light.

Isaac watched in awe. “You did this when you met me? When you tutored me?”

Spencer nodded. “I did a bit more than this. Force fields, moving objects, locking and unlocking doors.”

“Why’d you give it up?”

“My dad.” She admitted. “You know that I killed him, not Allison’s aunt.”

Isaac nodded.

“Even the rest of the story isn’t how it was in the papers. Allison’s aunt hadn’t killed anyone. It was my dad and Derek’s uncle. I’ll spare you the rest of the details for now, but my father was a werewolf. And he attacked us. Scott, Derek, Allison. Even Stiles, but he’s human. I was still only half-human. I hadn’t learned much about my powers. I couldn’t do anything once everyone came together for ‘The Big Showdown’.” Spencer said, using air quotes. “So, after it all ended and Derek became Alpha, I asked him to bite me. In becoming a werewolf, I lost a lot of the powers I had as a witch. I didn’t want to feel powerless anymore.” She folded her fingers together and looked down at them.

“I think you had all the power in the world.” Isaac told her, putting hand over hers. “You just had to take control and use it.”

Spencer smiled up at him. “When’d you get to be so wise?”

!@#$#@!

“So, Lydia. How are you feeling since your two day hike in the woods?” Spencer asked, standing next to her friend. They were watching their classmates climb up the rock wall two at a time and it was Scott and Allison’s turn.

“Oh, it was great. You know, aside from the fact that I was completely oblivious to my two-day hike in the woods.” Lydia smirked.

Spencer faked a laugh. “I’m, uh, I’m sorry I haven’t spoken to you sooner. I’m still pretty shook up about everything. That week of the formal, things went downhill for me.”

“I don’t even remember you at the formal.”

“I wasn’t.” Spencer admitted, trying not to show her nervousness of the conversation. No one but Stiles, Scott and Allison knew she was being held against her will. “After I found out that you were going with Stiles, I, uh, I really didn’t have a desire to watch that unfold.”

“Oh, sweetheart!” She cooed. “I’m sorry. If it makes you feel better, I didn’t really want to go with him.”

“What?” Spencer questioned.

“Yeah, I kinda owed Allison big time. She said to make up for what I did, I had to go with him. It wasn’t actually my choice.”

“So, you don’t like Stiles?”

“Like him?” Lydia questioned. “I hardly know him.”

Spencer laughed. “You know, he’s, like, crazy in love with you, right?”

“Well, who isn’t?” Lydia asked with a smirk.

Spencer rolled her eyes with a smile. She looked back up at the rock wall just in time to see Allison kick Scott’s foot off of one of the pegs, making him fall back down to the bottom. Someone was able to catch him with the harness before he slammed onto the mat on the floor.

Coach sat down on the mat next to Scott. He laughed. “McCall, I don’t know why, but your pain gives me a special kind of joy.” He turned back to the class. “Alright, next two!” He stood up and pointed to the next to students. “Stilinski! Erica! Let’s go!”

Spencer’s eyes shot to Stiles.

Stiles smiled like he was ready for the wall. He looked to Erica, the blonde who stood next to him, and nodded and smiled to her.

Erica didn’t look as confident as Stiles did. She glanced up and down the wall with extreme anxiousness. She stepped forward anyway and got harnessed up. Both her and Stiles readied themselves in front of the wall. Erica looked to be struggling every time she had to pull herself up to the next rock.

Spencer noticed her anxiety and stepped forward to coach her. “Erica, you’re okay. Just keep going. Don’t look down.”

Erica nodded, but she was scared. She ended up looking down anyway. She wasn’t even really that high, but it still must have made her nervousness worse. Erica started to whimper and breath heavily. She cried for help.

Stiles had already finished and looked back up at her, worried.

“Coach, she’s not okay. You’ve got to let her down.” Spencer insisted.

Coach walked up and stood on the other side of Erica from Spencer, next to Stiles. “Erica.” he called. “You dizzy?” he asked. “Is it vertigo?”

“Vertigo is a dysfunction of the vestibular system of the inner ear. She’s just freaking out.” Lydia told the Coach.

“Erica, you’re okay. I promise you.” Spencer said, hoping Erica wouldn’t let Lydia’s comment get to her.

“Erica.” Coach said.

“I’m fine.” Erica insisted.

“Coach?” Allison said, getting his attention. “Maybe it’s not safe. You know she’s epileptic.”

“Why doesn’t anybody tell me this stuff?” Coach cried. “Erica, you’re fine. Just kick off from the wall. There’s a mat to catch you.”

“Come on, Erica.” Spencer coached. “It’s an easy ride down. We got you.”

Erica nodded and slowly released herself from the wall.

Spencer put her hand on Erica’s back the second she was down on the floor to comfort her. “See, easy.” she smiled.

Erica showed Spencer a small smile, but looked away almost instantly.

“You’re fine.” Coach insisted. “You’re on the ground. You’re alright. Let’s go.”

Erica turned around, facing the rest of the class. She barely looked up into anyone’s eyes. She was definitely embarrassed. It didn’t help any that the class started snickering in her direction. Erica looked as if she might cry as she went out into the hallway.

“Alright everyone! Go change! Five minutes until the bell.” Coach informed and then blew the whistle.

Spencer stared off in the direction that Erica went and she almost considered following her. She would have if it hadn’t been for Allison coming up next to her.

“Hey, Spencer.” Allison said to her, gaining Spencer’s attention.

Spencer looked at her for a second. “Allison.” She greeted. The girls continued to walk to the locker room.

“H-how are you?” she asked.

Spencer raised an eyebrow to her. “Peachy.”

“Yeah, I-I guess I’m the same way. I can’t really figure out what’s going on.”

Spencer nodded to her and went to the locker where her stuff was to start changing.

Allison joined her without her other clothes, like she was hovering. She started staring at the wall as Spencer undressed and changed back into her jeans and t-shirt.

“Allison?” Spencer said, to get her attention.

“Hm?” Allison responded, looking to Spencer.

“Did you want something?”

“I, uh, sort of. I know that things were a little…um…”

“Deadly?” Spencer suggested.

“Yeah, I guess. I know, my aunt, she was kind of responsible for a lot of things, but she was still my aunt, you know? And I know that your dad was still your dad.”

“Not really.” Spencer nodded.

“I mean, maybe not emotionally, but biologically.”

“True.”

“Well, I mean, since we both lost someone that night, I think that if you ever needed to talk…”
Spencer furrowed her brow when she noticed her hand shaking. She raised her hand to watch it tremor.

“Spencer, are you okay?”

“Fine.” she said, looking around the locker room. “That’s not coming from me.” she said, realizing that Erica was missing. “Erica.” she said aloud before rushing back out of the locker room back to the gym. Allison followed right behind her. Thankfully, Scott was already in the gym and was able to catch her. Allison and Spencer run up behind Scott and Stiles.

“Put her on her side.” Allison told Scott, then repeated it when he saw them coming. He quickly turned her over, letting Erica hold her hand. Allison knelt beside the two. “How’d you know?” she asked, pushing her hair from her face.

“I felt it. Started shaking.” Scott answered.

“That means…” Allison trailed off, looking up to Spencer behind her.

“Good deduction skills, there, Sweetheart.” She looked to Scott. “You got this?”

Scott nods back.

“We’ll talk. She said, looking back to Allison.

Allison nodded.

Spencer walked swiftly back into the locker room and grabbed her phone from her book bag. She opened a text message to send to Derek.

“I might have another beta for you.” She put her hair in a ponytail while she waited for a response from Derek.

“Who?”

“Girl with epilepsy. Come get me. We’ll confront her at the hospital.”

“Be right there.”

!@#$@!

Spencer walked through the halls of Beacon Hills Hospital utterly determined. She was also a little nervous. She’d never really been one to trick someone of something. That was always Stiles’ job. Spencer never would have done something like this. Except Derek gave her an order: clear out the morgue. Wait for him to come with Erica. Help him to get her to agree. Spencer was hesitant, but she needed to be there. After Spencer found out that Derek hadn’t told Isaac everything about becoming a werewolf, there was no way that she’d let him handle this one on his own. Especially with Erica. Derek was creepy enough. Add a morgue into the mix and who knows how Erica would react to anything he said.

Unfortunately, the man behind the door was completely unwilling to leave his workplace to a seventeen year old girl. She had to come up with another plan.

“Give me five minutes.” Spencer texted to Derek as she left the room, standing just outside the door.

“You have three.” He responded back.

“Of course.” She mumbled to herself. She glanced through the small window to the door. His back was turned as he worked at the table. She slowly opened the swinging door and quietly made her way into the room. Spencer took a deep breath and swung her arm hard enough to knock him out. The guy dropped to the floor. Finally, she let out the breath when she realized that he was out. Spencer pulled out her family book which she had turned into a small pocket-sized notebook. She turned to one of the many pages that she marked, since she wasn’t able to magically find pages anymore.

“The Forgetful Spell.” It read at the top of the page. After quickly performing the incantation on the guy so he wouldn’t remember her, he grabbed him under his arms and pulled him against a wall.

Derek entered the room with Erica still on the hospital bed. He raised an eyebrow to her.

Spencer smirked. “I, uh, had to improvise.”

Erica was breathing heavily as she sat up from her laying position. Her brow furrowed when she noticed Spencer. “Spencer?” She questioned.

“Erica.” Spencer nodded, moving around the bed to stand next to Derek.

Derek looked down at a pill bottle that had Erica’s name on it. “Side effects may include anxiety, weight gain, acne, ulcerative colitis.” Derek winced, squeamishly.

“Who are you?” Erica asked Derek.

“My friend.” Spencer answered. “Just listen.”

Derek put the bottle down and approached the end of Erica’s bed, by her feet. “You get a warning right before you have a seizure.”

Erica showed a small nod. “It’s called an aura. It’s…” she paused, looking for words, shying away from Derek’s intense stare. “It’s like a metallic taste in my mouth.”

Derek smirked. “You don’t have to lie, Erica.”

Erica’s lower lip trembled.

“What’s it really taste like?”

Erica turned her head to the side, looking to Spencer.

Spencer nodded encouragingly.

Erica took a deep breath. “It tastes like blood.” She looked up at Derek, finally.

“What if I told you that all of this could go away?” Derek asked her. One of his hands moved to her leg.

Spencer took in a breath quickly, straightened up and looked away.

“The side effects, the symptoms, all of it?”

Erica was afraid. Or at least her heart was beating really fast.

Derek pulled her by her legs, moving her down the bed, closer to him.

Spencer took this second to leave the room and continue listening from behind closed doors. She didn’t want to see this. It made her too uncomfortable. Especially with her feelings for him.

Derek continued. “And what if all those things not only went away, but everything else,” he pushed her hair behind her ear, “got even better.”

Erica smiled. “How?”

!@#$#@!

After agreeing that Derek had told her everything, he bit her. They weren’t sure what Erica did after that, but Spencer left her number and Derek’s with her as they left. Spencer swiftly marched out of the hospital back to Derek’s car. She was upset.

“Are you training for a power walking race?” Derek asked.

Spencer ignored his comment and didn’t respond until they were in his Camaro. “Your plan was genius.” She said sarcastically.

“Stop with the jealousy.” Derek said, simply.

Spencer scoffed. “I’m not jealous.”

“Did you hear that?” he asked. “Your heart skipped a beat.”

“So?”

“You’re lying.”

Spencer studied his face as he pulled out of the parking lot. “You did that on purpose.” She realized. “You… you touched her, practically seduced her into saying yes.”

“I didn’t need to. She wanted a cure.”

“It doesn’t matter what she wanted. They way you went about it while I was in the room is what’s bullshit.” Spencer accused. “You were trying to get under my skin.”

“So?”

“Screw you.”

There was a pause in the conversation as Derek drove back to the school.

“You’re the one who said you had feelings for me and then left.”

Derek took a deep breath, calming himself. The rest of the ride back to the school was made in silence. He parked the car in front of the door that he picked Spencer up at.

“Are we ever going to talk about that?” Spencer asked, still bitter.

“You’re my beta.”

“What’s your point?”

“It’s dangerous.”

“It was dangerous before I was your beta. It didn’t stop you then.”

Derek sighed. “You should get back to school.”

“It’s nearly over, Derek. I don’t have to go back. We have to talk.”

“I have to check on Isaac. You have to go.”

Spencer groaned, annoyed. “Always pulling the ‘Isaac card’.” she mumbled, pushing herself out of the car. As soon as Spencer closed the car door, he drove off. Spencer sighed, pulling out her phone, opening a text message to Isaac.

“If he trains you, make sure you get in a good punch for me.”

“Will do.”