Love's Spiral

~215

Spencer woke up slowly, feeling light kisses tickling her bare shoulders. She tried to wave them off, pushing her hand against Derek’s face, but she was only greeted with soft bites to her fingers. Spencer groaned. “Stop it.”

Derek laughed quietly to himself, “Are you gonna get up today?” He asked before lightly nipping the back of her neck.

“What time is it?” she mumbled, scooting herself away from him

Derek leaned his head up, grabbing his phone from the floor over his head. “Almost eight.” He responded, putting the phone under his pillow.

“Eight?” Spencer questioned, quickly getting herself out of Derek’s hold on her. She hustled around her room, holding a blanket around herself, trying to find some clothes. She groaned, realizing a majority of her clothes were dirty.

“Are you okay?” Derek asked, after watching her for a moment.

“Fine.” Spencer said, finding a box she hadn’t yet unpacked under a pile of clothes.

“Well, how do you feel?”

“I feel fine.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m perfect.” She dug through the box, finding a black dress she remembered from the clothes she received from Lydia.

“You can’t lie to me.”

“I’m not lying!” Spencer snapped, after pulling the dress over her head and looking to Derek. She paused, averting her eyes and brushing out some of the small wrinkles with her hands. “I’m just late for school.”

“You’re going to school?”

“It’s what every other normal high school kid does on a freaking school day, isn’t it?”

“Yeah.” Derek admitted, sitting up in the bed with the sheet wrapped around him.

“Then, I’m gonna try to be a normal kid today.” She promised, pulling on a yellow cardigan.

“So we’re not gonna talk about what happened last night?”

“Does it seem like I want to talk about it?” Spencer asked, turning her back to look into a mirror and brush her hair out with her fingers.

“Not really.” Derek admitted, looking away from her.

“Then take it as that.”

Derek got out of bed and dressed himself while Spencer applied her makeup. Once he was fully dressed, he walked up behind her looking at her through the mirror. “You can’t be that mad at me if you’re wearing yellow.”

Spencer looked to Derek and shrugged off her sweater and leaned over to grab another one. She raised her brow to him

Derek formed a tight line with his lips and nodded. “I’ll see you after school then?”

“Yeah, you will.” She nodded to him in the mirror.

“Be careful. There’s a full moon this week.”

Spencer sighed, turning herself away from Derek. “I’ll be fine.” She said, grabbing her backpack from the floor and hurrying out of her train car. Spencer continued to rush away from the train station once she was in her truck. She slammed the door shut and quickly pulled out of it’s hidden parking spot. The truck didn’t come to a complete stop until she had to at a red light a few miles away. Spencer took a deep breath and leaned her forehead against her steering wheel.

It wasn’t that Spencer regretted what happened last night, she couldn’t even think to. Derek made her feel amazing and she couldn’t ever even want to move past that. The sensation was new to her. The experience was new. Spencer needed time to soak in and adjust to what had happened between them. She couldn’t stop shaking with the nerves finally hitting her. Spencer groaned. “Where the hell were my nerves last night?”

A horn drew Spencer from her thoughts quickly as she jumped and jerked her head up to look in her rearview mirror. She saw Stiles’ blue Jeep sitting behind her. “Great.” She mumbled. “Just what I need.” Spencer put her hand up, apologizing, and then she continued in her trek towards the school. She looked in the rearview mirror every so often, wondering if Stiles was going to follow her all the way to school. Spencer noticed he’d taken a different turn to get to the school. Her shoulders loosened and she let out the breath she didn’t know she was holding.

Spencer pulled into a parking spot close to the school, turning off her truck. She sat in the seat for a moment, debating on whether or not to go inside or just go back to the station. “Go to school and face the friends I haven’t talked to much, or go back home and face Derek?”

Spencer jumped again when there was a knock on her window. “Oh, God!” she shouted, looking to her left.

Scott stood next to her car with a wide smile on his face.

“Scott, what the hell?” Spencer opened her truck door, purposefully hitting Scott with it.

“Ow.” Scott groaned, rubbing the spot on his thigh that the door hit. “Sorry.”

“Sorry?”

“Yeah. I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Spencer nodded. “Okay. Apology accepted.”

“Are you okay?” Scott asked. When he got a confused look from Spencer, he clarified, “You smell different.”

Spencer grabbed the open ends of her cardigan and pulled one over the other, feeling suddenly insecure. “I smell different? How do I smell different?”

“I don’t know. You just do.”

Spencer let out a breath.

“I think we need to talk.” Scott suggested.

“No, I think we’re good.” Spencer insisted, walking towards the school.

“We found out more about the kanima.”

Spencer stopped in her place, thinking over what she was about to do. Spencer sighed, turning in her place, facing Scott again. “Do you know who it is?” She asked, receiving a nod from Scott. “So why are you telling me? I’m in Derek’s pack.”

“We need to work together to fight this. I thought that how we were going to play this out.”

“Maybe. But how it plays out with us teaming up, isn’t up to me. Derek has the final say about what we do.”

“Maybe if you go to him with the information from us…” Scott trailed off, thinking it would get Derek to agree to helping.

“You don’t know Derek like I do. He’s going to think that I’m going behind his back about it. I don’t want him to think I’m betraying him.”

“But you’re not. Not if we’re all trying to accomplish the same thing.”

“Derek wants to kill the kanima.”

“Well we’re both trying to stop him. How we do that might be a little different, but it’s still the same ending.”

“Scott…”

“Just hear us out, okay? Make your decision after you listen to what Allison found.”

“Allison is a part of this?” Spencer asked regretfully.

“Yes. It’s her family’s bestiary. She’s a part of this.”

“Don’t you think that this is a little dangerous for her?”

“She’s the one who outsmarted Erica enough to get her paralyzed.” Scott informed his friend.

Spencer shivered, recalling her own paralysis last night.

“You okay?” Scott asked.

“Yeah. I just… It’s cold out today.”

Scott nodded his head and looked at the school for a moment. “Will you meet us in the library during third period?”

Spencer looked at him for a moment. “Fine, third period. Text me about everything that’s happened since that night at your house.”

!@#$#@!

Third period came slowly as Spencer realized how much she didn’t really miss school. She walked slowly to the library. Before she was able to enter, she ran into Allison coming from the opposite direction.

“Spencer.” Allison greeted. “Hi.”

“Allison.” Spencer nodded.

“What are you doing here?”

“I was invited by you-know-who.”

“Who?” Allison furrowed her brow.

“Scott.” She said, slightly rolling her eyes. “You know, your ‘not-supposed-to-be-boyfriend’.” Spencer glanced inside the library, wondering if the guys were already inside.

“Right. I just thought that Stiles would - ”

“I haven’t really had any heart-to-hearts with Stiles since he found out about me. Mostly just ends in a fight with him anymore.”

“Oh.” Allison said. There was a short silence as Allison avoided eye contact with Spencer.

Spencer nodded. “Stimulating conversation.” She said, before turning into the library.

“Spencer, wait.” Allison called, grabbing onto Spencer’s upper arm.

Spencer raised her brow, looking from Allison’s hand to her face.

Allison took her hand off. “Sorry. I just - I thought you should know that my family doesn’t know about you either. I haven’t told them.”

“That’s a shock.” Spencer said, turning her body back towards Allison.

“I mean, they already knew you are a witch - ”

“Was.” Spencer clarified. “I was a witch. Now I’m just a wolf. I can make the lights flicker on and off, but that’s about it.”

“Well, they don’t know.”

“Thanks. But I’ve probably outed myself anyway.”

“Sorry.”

“Not your fault.”

Allison nodded. “Well, I’m gonna…” she trailed off, pointing into the library.

“Yeah. I’ll follow in a minute.”

Allison flashed Spencer a quick smile and entered the library.

Spencer watched Allison as she made her way into the library taking a few steps in before hesitating. She turned around, looking up at the wall above the doorway and then to Spencer.

“Camera.” she heard Allison whisper.

“Great.” Spencer groaned. “Those damn things are everywhere.”

Allison continued into the library, going into an aisle.

Spencer entered the library, choosing the aisle before Allison, noticing that both Stiles and Scott were standing in it.

“What are you doing here?” Stiles asked.

“We’re working together.” Scott told him.

“Does your boyfriend know?” Stiles looked to Spencer.

“Not my boyfriend.” Spencer replied simply.

“Psst.” Allison whispered. She slid a tablet through the shelf to hand to Scott.

He took the table from her and unlocked it, reading the passages.

“What’s that?” Spencer asked.

“The bestiary.” Allison answered. “It’s everything that Lydia can translate. And trust me, she was very confused.”

“Yeah,” Scott agreed, knowing she would be. “What’d you tell her?”

Allison chuckled a bit. “That we were part of an online gaming community that battles mythical creatures.”

Stiles looked through the shelf. “I am part of an online gaming community that battles mythical creatures. So is Spencer. That is, if she still even plays.” Stiles looked to Spencer. “You’ve been inactive for a few weeks.”

Spencer rolled her eyes at him. “Well you haven’t really talked to me recently and you’re the only reason that I played. We also don’t have wifi in the subway.”

“Oh,” Allison said, embarrassed for making a joke of it. She looked back and forth between them. “Great.”

“What subway? Are you living in a subway?” Stiles questioned Spencer.

“Does it say how to find out who’s controlling him?” Scott asked Allison, bypassing Stiles’ question.

“Controlling who?” Spencer questioned.

“Jackson.” Scott said.

“Jackson?” Spencer asked, confused. “But he passed the test. He was paralyzed.”

“Yeah, except Jackson’s not the kanima when it’s Jackson which means the kanima venom works on Jackson when he’s not the kanima.” Stiles rambled.

“Yeah, I totally understood that.” Spencer said sarcastically.

“This is what happens when you move to the dark side.”

“Stiles, I’m not on any dark side.”

“Guys?” Scott interrupted. “Really? Now?”

Stiles and Spencer both narrowed their eyes at Scott.

Spencer scoffed. “Okay then. Who’s controlling him?”

“I’m not sure.” Allison answered. “The bestiary is no help on that. But Stiles was right about the murderers.”

“Yes!” Stiles said softly, looking to Scott who showed his friend a confused look.

Allison continued. “It calls the kanima a weapon of vengeance. There’s a story in there about this South American priest who uses the kanima to execute murderers in his village.”

“Alright, see?” Stiles pointed out. “So maybe it’s not all that bad.”

“Until the bond grew strong enough that it killed whoever he wanted it to.” The brunette finished.

“All bad. All very, very bad.”

“Here’s the thing though. The kanima’s actually supposed to be a werewolf.”

Spencer furrowed her brow. “Let me see that.” She said to Scott, who handed the tablet over to her. Spencer quickly reads over Lydia’s notes.

“I can’t be…” Allison trailed off, seeing a girl come up behind her to put a book away.

Spencer read from the notes. “‘Until it resolves that in its past which manifested it’.”

“Okay,” Stiles thought. “If that means that Jackson could use a few hours of therapy, I could’ve told you that myself.”

“It’s got to be more than that though.” Spencer suggested. “It can’t be as easy as having him talk to the guidance counselor a few times a week.”

“What if it has something to do with his parents?” Allison suggested. “His real parents.”

Scott looked to Allison with shock. “Yeah, does anybody know what happened to them?”

“Lydia might.” Stiles put forth.

“And if she doesn’t?” Spencer challenged.

“Well, he doesn’t have a restraining order against me, so I will talk to him myself.” Allison offered.

Spencer looked to Scott and then Stiles. “Restraining order?”

Stiles shrugged and looked innocent.

Spencer looked to Scott. “You clearly didn’t tell me everything.”

“So what do I do?” Scott asked Allison.

“You have a make-up exam, remember?” Allison reminded.

Scott looked to Stiles, hoping his friend could find something for him to do to get him out of taking the test.

Stiles nodded, agreeing with Allison for Scott to take his test.

Allison put a hand over Scott’s between the shelves.

Spencer noticed the gesture and rolled her eyes.

“Promise me.” Allison ordered.

“If he does anything, you run the other way.” Scott told Allison.

“I can take care of myself.”

“Allison, if you get hurt while I’m busy with some stupid test, someone’s going to need to take care of me.”

“I call dibs.” Spencer joked.

Stiles slapped her lightly on her arm.

Spencer mustered up a tiny bit of her werewolf strength and slapped his chest.

Stiles backed up, coughing and trying to catch his breath. “You bitch.”

“I’m gonna pretend you didn’t call me that.”

“If he does anything…”

“Like?” Allison interrupted.

“Anything weird or bizarre. Anything.”

Stiles pushed his head through the shelves. “Anything evil.”

Spencer grabbed Stiles’ backpack and pulling him back out of the shelf. She looked to Scott. “Look, if it will make you feel any better, I’ll stick with her. I’ll be right there in case he ‘tries anything’.”

Scott nods.

Spencer’s phone started to vibrate. She took the device out of her pocket to check the caller ID. Derek. The screen read. Spencer sighed, ignored the call, and returned her phone to her pocket. She looked to Allison. “We’ll meet up during lunch. Jackson’s been working out in the locker rooms at lunch.”

“How do you know that?” Scott asked.

“Derek’s got eyes in the school. We’ve been keeping tabs on a few key people.” Spencer informed.

“That was his idea?”

“It was mine. But he likes to think it was his.”

“So does that make you the mastermind behind all he’s done?” Stiles questioned, nearly interrogating Spencer.

“No. Not all that he’s done.” Spencer responded quickly. “Are we done?”

Allison and Scott nodded. “See you in an hour.” Allison told her.

Spencer made her way out of the library and down the hall. Through the crowds of people she weaved her way through in order to get to her next class.

“Spencer!” she heard being shouted behind her. She knew it was Stiles. Stiles was running after her. Spencer could hear his feet pounding on the linoleum with every step that he took. “Spencer, wait!”

Spencer rolled her eyes, but didn’t stop her stride.

“Spence, come on.”

“What, Stiles?”

“I just thought that we could talk. Like we did before. Because we kind of have a lot to talk about.”

“Okay, you start.” Spencer said. “Why is there a restraining order for Jackson against you and Scott?”

“Uh, we stole a prison transport van and kidnapped Jackson so he wouldn’t kill anyone else.” he stumbled.

“What?” Spencer said, appalled.

“Why are you ignoring the alpha’s calls?” Stiles asked bypassing Spencer’s shock.

“I was with friends. It would be rude.”

“It’s never stopped you before. Not with Derek. You seem to drop everything for him.”

“Not true. I don’t need to talk to him all the time, Stiles.” she said, frustrated and trying to avoid talking about Derek. It could lead to divulging about her lack of innocence.

“Okay, no you don’t.” Stiles admitted. “I just thought it was…abnormal for you.”

“As if anything around us is normal.”

“I’m just trying to make sure that you’re okay. I mean, I know your mom left town.” Stiles said. “I also know that you’re staying with Derek. At first, I thought it was in his burnt down house, which is, surprisingly, a step up from a subway.”

“We’re working on changing that. Derek has to iron out some things.”

“You know, you could always move back with me and dad.”

“I can’t.”

“You can. Your last name might be Garner, but you know that my dad always thought of you as his.” Stiles informed her. “He would love to have you back.”

“Stiles - ”

“I could still really use your help getting him to eat healthy. If you were to come back and cook for us, we could disguise the good food as bad food.”

“I just - I can’t.”

“Think about it.” Stiles persisted. “If not for me, for him. He knows you’re trying to get emancipated, but it would put him at ease if he knew you were being taken care of like you should be.”

Spencer stopped in her place, furrowed her brow. “I haven’t told anyone about that.”

“He’s the sheriff, Spence. He’s got some connections.”

Spencer sighed.

“I’ve got him convinced that you’re staying in the hotel just down the road, and so far, I’ve managed to keep him from asking any other questions. But he’s the sheriff and it’s kind of his job to ask questions.”

“Stiles, I’ve got to get to class.” Spencer said, starting to walk away.

“Tell me you’ll think about it. My house has wifi! Your room has the best connection!”

“I’ll think about it.” Spencer called over her shoulder.