Love's Spiral

~218

The next morning, Spencer woke up well rested. She sat up in the bed and examined her surroundings, remembering the debate that she’d lost to the sheriff about taking his bed for the night. Spencer sighed and reached for her phone to check if she had any texts from Derek. She hadn’t expected anything from him. Derek wasn’t the begging ‘come back, I need you’ kind of person. To her surprise, Spencer had a voicemail from him.

“You’re right. Call me.” It said.

Spencer groaned and hit his number to call him.

“Red?”

“Really touching voicemail you left me. You almost had me in tears.” Spencer said sarcastically.

“You’re right. And you know you’re right. Will you at least tell me what you and Scott are planning?”

“We don’t have a plan at all. We don’t even have a plan to come up with a plan.”

“You think you’re going to get on that anytime soon?”

“Alright, Alpha,” Spencer stressed, reminding him that he was supposed to help make some decisions, too. “We need more help than just our knowledge.”

“Who do you know that has an all-knowing view of kanimas.”

“No one. But I do know someone who is very knowledgeable about the supernatural as a whole. Let’s start there. Meet Scott and I at the animal clinic at around eight tonight. We’ll come up with something to do.” Spencer hung up her phone without waiting for a response.

She texted Scott. Can we meet at the clinic after it closes? We need a plan for Jackson. As she awaited a response, Spencer got out of the bed and changed back into her jeans from the previous night. She kept on her cami top and went into Stiles’ room to get a different shirt. When Spencer entered the room, she saw that Stiles was still sound asleep, looking rather uncomfortable with his face pressed hard into his pillow. She laughed at him and reached into his closet for one of his flannel shirts. Her phone chimed loudly in her pocket. Spencer cussed, knowing she’d probably woken up Stiles.

Stiles began to stir in his bed and quickly jerked up, seeing an outline of a person, as his vision hadn’t cleared yet. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and squinted, trying to fix his sight. “Spencer?”

Spencers smiled, embarrassed and pulled on the plaid shirt. “Sorry. I didn’t want to wake you up.”

“It’s okay.” He said groggily. “What time is it?”

“Nearly noon.” She laughed. “You’ve missed half of the school day.”

“Yeah, I should get up, huh?” Stiles nodded to her and took in what she was wearing. “Nice shirt.”

“Thanks. I think the color fits rather nicely.” Spencer joked, turning to show herself off.

“I always did like you in green.”

“Really?”

“Yeah. It kinda makes your eyes more of a blue-green, almost like a teal.”

Spencer looked to him confused and walked over to a mirror. She looked closely into her own eyes and studied them. “Huh. I guess you’re right.” She shrugged and stepped away from the mirror.

“Hey, look…” Stiles said carefully. “About you being here.”

“If it’s a problem, I can take off. I just thought I could.” Spencer said quickly. “You said the door was open.”

“Oh, no! It is. The door is wide open! So open the neighbors can see in.”

“That’s weird.”

“Tell me about it. Old Man Graham across the street is more like Peeping Tom. He thinks he’s got a front row seat.”

“Stiles?”

“Yeah?”

“You were saying something.”

“Right. I was just thinking. It’s Wednesday. And on Wednesday, Dad and I normally get a late dinner together because he works late.”

“I’m aware.”

“Just thought you could tag along. It’ll make my dad happy.”

Spencer took out her phone remembering that it had chimed earlier. She glanced at the message from Scott.

When Stiles noticed Spencer’s attention to him waver, he continued. “I mean, it’ll make me happy, too. ‘Cause we’re like best friends and I feel like I never see you anymore. It’s okay if you don’t. You could have plans with Derek, who is not your boyfriend.”

“He isn’t my boyfriend.” Spencer smiled, looking up at him. “I’d love to go. I’ve just got this thing at like 8, so I’ll have to bail out early.”

“What thing?”

“A Derek thing. We’re meeting Scott at the clinic to try and come up with a plan.”

Stiles nodded. “Alright. So tonight, the normal? Burgers and curly fries?”

“We’ll be sure to make it a veggie burger and carrot sticks for Pops.” Spencer put forth, remembering that Pops needed to eat healthier.

“Right. Good plan.” Stiles said nervously. “So, until then?”

“Pizza and Call of Duty?” Spencer asked, already leaving Stiles’ room and walking downstairs towards the living room.

Stiles quickly followed after her, almost tripping trying to catch up. “You don’t have anything else to do? With Derek, I mean. Or the pack?”

Spencer shook her head. “Derek may run things in the pack, but I’m pretty good at getting away with doing my own thing.”

“You always were a teacher’s pet.”

“It doesn’t make me a teacher’s pet. It makes me resourceful.”

“What happens when you do something wrong? You don’t get detention, do you?”

“No, I get the silent treatment.” Spencer admitted, going on her phone to order pizza.

“So you always do something wrong?”

Spencer held up her finger to Stiles as the pizza guy answered. She gave him her order and went back to the conversation with Stiles. “Derek’s not a man of many words.”

“Really?” Stiles gasped sarcastically. “He practically talks my freakin’ ear off whenever I see him.”

Spencer gave Stiles a bored look.

“Right? Sorry. I’ll drop the Derek talk.”

“Thanks. Pizza will be here in half an hour. Derek’s buying.” She smirking, pulling out his wallet from the bag she had brought last night.

Stiles looked from her to the wallet and back. He showed a big smile. “You are evil.”

“I know.” Spencer boasted, picking up an xbox controller. “Time for me to kick your ass.”
!@#$#@!

“Dinner’s here!” Spencer said excitedly, as she walked into the sheriff’s office.

The sheriff was sitting at his desk, looking worn out from going over his case files. The second he noticed Spencer was with Stiles and pushed himself out of his chair and smiled huge. “I didn’t know you’d be joining us.” He moved around his desk to give her a hug.

“Well, surprise!” she said into his chest, clinging to the bag of food she held. Spencer pulled away. “Stiles talked me into it. I could never say no to a free burger.”

“Smart girl.” The sheriff claimed. He moved back around to sit at his desk.

Spencer took the seat next to Stiles as she began to pass around the food. “Here you go.” She handed the sheriff his foil-wrapped burger.

The sheriff nodded and unwrapped his food before taking a large bite of it. He slowed his chewing, noticing something off. “Oh, what the hell is this?”

“Veggie burger.” Stiles said.

“Stiles, I asked for a hamburger.”

“Pops, this is healthier for you. You’re supposed to be eating healthy.”

“We’re being healthy.” Stiles corrected Spencer. “See? I’m taking one for the team.” He held up his plastic bowl of salad he’d ordered instead of a hamburger.

The sheriff moved to what he thought were supposed to be his fries and took the top off, seeing celery and carrot sticks. “Oh, hell, why are you trying to ruin my life?”

“I’m trying to extend your life, okay?” Stiles insisted. “Could you just eat it, please? And tell me what you found.”

“No, I’m not sharing confidential police work with a couple of teenagers.”

“Again.” Spencer mumbled quietly.

Stiles looked up at the wall behind his father. “Is that it on the board behind you?” He asked.

Pops slowly turned around, realizing that his son was right. “Don’t look at that.” He begged of Stiles.

“Alright.” Stiles said, adjusting himself in his chair to get a better look.

Spencer quickly studied it as well.

“Avert your eyes.” The sheriff ordered.

“Okay.” Stiles said, moving again.

“Hey! Avert.”

Stiles pushed himself out of his seat, hovering over it. “I see arrows, pointing at pictures.”

“A lot of red arrows. Doesn’t red mean unsolved?” Spencer asked.

“Not you, too.” The sheriff whined. “Okay, okay. Stop. Fine.”

Spencer and Stiles looked to each other with a grin.

“I found something.” Pops said, earning the teenagers’ full attention. “Mechanic and the couple who were murdered. They all had something in common.”

“All three?

“Yeah. You know what I always say. One’s an incident.”

“Two’s coincidence.” Spencer continued.

“Three’s a pattern.” Stiles finished.

The sheriff held up his fingers and counted off the people. “The mechanic, the husband, the wife. All the same age. All twenty-four.”

“Wait a minute, what about Mr. Lahey?”

Spencer nodded her head, agreeing. “Isaac’s dad is nowhere near being twenty-four. Double that, maybe.”

“Which made me think that either, A, Lahey’s murder wasn’t connected, or B, the ages were a coincidence.” The sheriff argued. “Until I found this, which would be C.” The man pulled out a file and handed it to Stiles.

Spencer scooted her seat closer to Stiles to read over his shoulder.

“Did you know that Isaac Lahey had an older brother named Camden?”

“‘Died in combat’?” Stiles read. “Did you know any of this?” He asked Spencer, receiving a head shake from her.

“But if he were alive today, take one guess as to how old he’d be.” Sheriff played.

“Twenty-four.” Stiles sighed. He stood up to be able to get a better look at his father’s wall of evidence.

The sheriff joined him.

Spencer sat behind them, still studying the file on Isaac’s brother. She was a little appalled that he hadn’t told her himself.

“Now, what if same age means same class?” Stiles suggested. “Did you think of that?”

“Yeah. Well, I would’ve. I mean, I just got Lahey’s file two hours ago.”

“Two hours?!” Stiles said shocked. “Dad, people could be dying.”

“Stiles, calm down.” Spencer said softly from behind them.

“Yeah, I’m aware of that.” Pops pressed. “Thank you.”

Stiles and his father turned back to the wall. “Same class.”

Spencer looked up between them. “So you guys need some yearbooks?” She suggested, shrugging. “And they’re twenty-four, so class of 2006?” Spencer questioned, doing the math in her head.

The sheriff walked over to her and kissed her head. “You’re a genius.”

“So I’ve been told.” Spencer joked.

The boys came back in from the file room with a few things from that year. Stiles held up a file. “Here it is. Class of 2006.” He flipped through a few pages. “They all went to Beacon Hills.”

The sheriff looked over his own file and pointed out a name. “Including Isaac’s brother.”

“Alright, but, so what if they all knew each other, you know? I mean, two of them were married, so maybe they all just hung out.”

Sheriff shook his head, rattling his brain. “Well, they could have had the same class together. They could’ve…” He trailed off as he turned his page.

“What?” Stiles and Spencer said at the same time, Spencer leaving her seat to stand next to them.

“Same teacher.”

“Harris.” Spencer pointed out.

“They were all in his class?” Stiles asked.

“All four.” Sheriff confirmed. “And I don’t know how Mr. Lahey fits in, but this, kids, this is definitely a pattern. Alright, let me see the yearbook. These names, we need faces.” He reached over to pick up his phone.

“Which ones?” Stiles asked, reaching for the right yearbook.

“Everyone in that chemistry class. If the killer’s not done killing…”

“Then one of them is next.” Stiles finished.

“Yeah.” The sheriff agreed. He waited until someone answered the phone. “Yeah, it’s Stilinski.”

Spencer pulled out her own phone to check the time. “Ah, crap.” She said, stuffing it back in her pocket. “Look, I’d love to stay here and play detective, but - ”

“You’ve got your own detectiving to do. It’s okay. Get it done.”

Spencer smiled and nodded at him. “Thanks. I’ll see you around.” Spencer left the room and then the building, racing to the animal clinic, knowing she’d be just a little late. She went in through the back, knowing that Scott and Derek were already there.

“Now, where’s the vet?” She heard Derek ask from the front of the clinic. “Is he going to help us or not?”

“That depends.” Deaton answered. “Your friend, Jackson. Are we planning to kill him or save him?”

Derek responded with “Kill him.” at the same time Scott said “Save him.”

“Save him.” Scott stressed in Derek’s direction.

“We’re saving him.” Spencer said, stepping up from behind the doctor. “Right, Derek?” she questioned, sending him a look.

Derek paused, studying her, before slowly and barely nodding.

“Good.” Deaton said, turning around. “Follow me.” He led the group into the examination room that Deaton had a lot of his more ‘personal items’ in. Deaton reached into a cabinet and pulled out a tray of corked glass bottles. He stood on one side of the table with Spencer while the boys were on the other.

Isaac reached out to pick one up to examine it.

“Isaac, don’t!” Spencer warned.

Derek quickly grabbed his hand, pulling it away from the bottles. “Watch what you touch.” He ordered.

Isaac leaned on his elbows onto the table. “So what are you? Some kind of witch like Spencer was?”

“No, I’m a veterinarian.” Deaton explained, putting down the bottle he’d picked up to look at. “Unfortunately, I don’t see anything here that’s going to be an effective defense against a paralytic toxin.”

“We’re open to suggestions.” Derek informed.

“Literally at this point, I’m okay with trying anything.” Spencer agreed.

“What about an effective offense?” Isaac asked.

“We already tried.” Derek insisted. “I nearly took its head off. And Argent emptied an entire clip into it. The thing just gets back up.”

“Has it shown any weaknesses?” Deaton questioned.

“Well, one. It can’t swim.”

“Or it, at least, doesn’t like water.” Spencer added.

“Does that go for Jackson as well?”

“No.” Scott answered Deaton. “He’s captain of the swim team.”

Deaton studied Scott for a moment. “Essentially, you’re trying to catch two people.” He turned around and went into another one of his drawers, grabbed something, and came back to the table. Deaton showed a coin to the table. “A puppet. And a puppeteer.” He set the boin on the table. “One killed the husband, but the other had to take care of the wife. Do we know why?”

There was a pause before Scott answered. “I don’t think Jackson could do it. His mother died pregnant, too, and she was maybe murdered. I think he couldn’t let the same thing happen to someone else.”

“So Jackson’s actually in there and he’s got a conscience?” Spencer asked, furrowing her brow.

“How do you know it’s not part of the rules?” Isaac asked. “The kanima kills murderers, right? If Jackson kills the wife, then the baby dies, too.”

“Does that mean your father was a murderer?” Scott asked him.

Isaac raised a brow. “Wouldn’t surprise me if he was.”

“Hold on.” Deaton said, getting an idea. “The book says they’re bonded, right? What if the fear of water isn’t coming from Jackson, but from the person controlling him?”

“So, something that affects the kanima, will also affect the master?” Spencer reiterated, looking to the doctor and earning a nod from him. She thought, looking at the glasses before her. Spencer looked to one in particular and put her finger on the top, looking back at Deaton.

Deaton nodded and picked up the bottle, pouring the powder in a circle around the coin.

“What does that mean?” Isaac asked.

“It means we can catch them.” Scott said.

“Both of them.” Spencer added.

Isaac reached his hand out again for the powdered circle. “How? What is this?

Spencer grabbed his hand from across the table before he could touch it. “It’s mountain ash. And while it doesn’t physically hurt you, the blowback from trying to cross its line is supposed to be a really bad.”

“It’s just a little dust.” Isaac insisted.

Spencer looked up to him with a brow raised. “Do you really want to test that?” She looked to Derek. “Deaton and I can work things out from here. You go, I’ll bring Isaac back.” She said, earning a nod from Derek before he left. “You do have more of this, don’t you?” Spencer asked Deaton.

“I can get some.”

“Good, we’ll need it.” Spencer said. “I’ll come back tomorrow. Scott, you and Stiles meet me here after school. Until then, we’ll need someone to keep an eye on Jackson.”

“I’m already tailing him. I’ll watch him.” Scott said.

Spencer nodded to Scott. “We’re gonna do this without killing him.”

!@#$#@!

Spencer sighed as she looked to Isaac in her truck. “I know I said that I’d take you back, but do you think you’d want to hang out for a bit?” She asked. “I was thinking maybe the graveyard. The big gravestone with the really nice view?”

“Of course.”

“Good, ‘cause that’s where I’m going anyway.” Spencer laughed. When they arrived, Spencer grabbed a blanket from behind her seat to sit on. “Can I ask you something that might upset you?” she asked, sitting down, deciding to get right to the chase.

Isaac looked at her nervously. “That depends.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about your brother?”

Isaac looked away from her. “How did you find out?”

“I was with Stiles at the station and they found out that your brother is connected to the murders. They were all in the same class.”

“I don’t like talking about him.” Isaac shrugged. “He’s dead.”

“But he’s your brother. That should mean something.”

“He left the second he could.” He stressed angrily. “He enlisted and he left. He said he’d come back, but he never did.”

Spencer sighed. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. I’m over it. Just don’t talk about it anymore.”

“I won’t.” Spencer promised.

“So there’s a rave on Friday.” Isaac said, changing the topic quickly to ease the tension. “Did you wanna go?” He asked nervously, pulling tickets from his pocket.

Spencer gasped. “Yes!” She said excitedly. “I have been trying to get tickets all week.”

“Really?” He questioned. “I didn’t know you were into this kind of thing.”

“I’m not. I mean, a night of dancing is something I could always go for, but the whole rave thing… Strobe lights, bright colors, sweat mixed with too much cologne... Eesh.” She shivered. “I’ve apparently been put in charge of watching over Allison and she’s going to this thing with some guy from the lacrosse team.”

“Oh, oh. yeah.” Isaac responded. He was a little disappointed. “That’s great.”

“Urgh, you’re a lifesaver.” Spencer leaned over to kiss Isaac’s cheek.

He blushed bright red. “Uh, g-glad you th-think so.”

The two sat in silence for a few moments, looking up at the stars.

“Are you okay, Isaac?”

“Y-Yeah, why?”

“Your stutter is back. What’s going on?” She asked, concerned.

“Nothing.”

“Are you sure? Erica had a seizure the other day and I need to be sure.”

“No, yeah. I’m good.” He promised. “Just a little cold.”

Spencer smiled at him and pushed herself closer to him. She sighed, leaning her head on his shoulder. “I’m really glad I met you, Isaac. You’re, like, my best friend.”

Isaac bit his lip sadly. “Yeah, me too.”