Love's Spiral

~223

Spencer knelt on the ground next to Derek and across from Deaton. She grabbed the Derek’s arm that was hanging still in the hole and held his hand tightly in hers. “Derek, wake up.” She begged, attempting to take away his pain, but not receiving any. When Derek didn’t wake, Spencer tried again. “Derek, c’mon. Please wake up.”

Deaton called out the alpha’s name. “Can you hear me?”

“Doc, what happens if he doesn’t wake up? I can’t do this all by myself.” she cried. “The betas and hunters. The kanima and, now, Peter.”

“Calm down, Spencer.” Deaton turned his attention back to Derek. “I need to answer me, Derek.” The man dug into his pocket. “Derek! We don’t have much time.” Deaton placed the metal object from his pocket to his lips and blew into it.

Spencer dropped Derek’s hand and shot hers up to cover her ears. “A little warning would have been nice.” she shouted.

Seconds later, Derek’s eyes shot open and he took short, heavy breaths. He looked around seeing Deaton and then his eyes found Spencer. “Red?” he questioned, getting a small smile from her. He sat up, with Spencer’s help. “That sound… What was it?”

Deaton help up the silver piece with a smirk.

“A damn dog whistle.” Spencer mumbled.

Derek scoffed and tried to push himself off of the floor. He stumbled backwards when he got on his feet, but both Deaton and Spencer caught him before he fell.

“You’re gonna be weak for several hours.” Deaton informed him.

The alpha looked to his arm that Spencer still had a hold on. The claw marks. The hole in the floor. It was all still there.”

“It was Peter.” Spencer reminded. “With Lydia’s help.”

“That actually happened.”

“Don’t worry.” Deaton spoke. “You’re still an alpha. But, as usual,” the man took the chain from the whistle and tied it around his neck, “not a particularly competent one.”

“He’s doing the best he can given the circumstances.” Spencer defended through clenched teeth, taking a step towards the doctor. “I asked for help, not criticism.”

Derek held out his arm to stop her. “Where is he?”

“I wish I could tell you.”

“How about you start with what you’re doing here, and why you’re helping me?” Derek stepped towards Deaton.

“Helping your family actually used to be a pretty important part of my life. Helping you was a promise I made to your mother.” The vet snapped.

“I called him.” Spencer said to Derek. “I knew he helped. And y-you were gone and there was wolfsbane and, then my dream - ”

“What dream?”

Spencer opened her mouth to answer, but decided to wait. “I’ll tell you later.”

Derek studied her for a moment, deciding whether or not to push it. He didn’t and looked back to Deaton. “You’re the one my sister talked about.” Derek took a couple steps back from Deaton. “She said you’re a...kind of advisor.”

I prefer the term emissary.” Spencer said, smartly. “It was he was to your mom. What I am to you.”

“I have some advice you need to listen to very closely right now.” Deaton stressed, he gestured to the hole. “What Peter managed to do doesn’t come without a price. He’ll be physically weak, so he’ll rely on the strength of his intelligence, his cunning.” Deaton explained. “He’s gonna come at you, Derek.”

“Like hell!” Spencer growled, eyes flashing gold.

Derek grabbed a hold of her hand holding her back.

Deaton continued. “He’ll try to twist his way inside your head, preying on your insecurities. He’ll tell you that he’s the only way you can stop Gerard. Do not trust him.”

“I don’t trust anyone.” Derek said smugly, giving Spencer’s hand a squeeze for a slight reassurance that he would have trusted her at least a little bit.

“I know.” Derek remarked, catching the wolves by surprise. “If you did, you might be the alpha you think you are. But unfortunately one of the two people you really should trust, doesn’t trust you at all.”

“Scott.” Derek realized.

“Oh, shit.” Spencer exclaimed. “I completely forgot. They figured out who is controlling the kanima. They’re at the sheriff station.”

“You need to get to them as fast as you can. I’ve known Gerard for a long time. He always has a plan.” Deaton said.

“So, he really is as evil as he looks.”

“Point is, I’m sure things are going exactly they way he wants them to.”

“So how do we stop it? How do we stop Peter?” Derek asked.

Spencer’s phone vibrated from her pocket. She pulled the device from her pocket and answered it, seeing a call from Scott. “Scotty.” She said into the phone. “What’s going on?” Only instead of getting a response from the young wolf, another voice sounded, seemingly far away and muffled.

“That… that could definitely get someone hurt.” the voice said. “Everyone. Now!” and the call ended.

Spencer’s heart dropped heavily into her stomach when she realized she could recognize the voice. Spencer instantly redialed her friend’s number. She was futile in reaching Scott, actually getting the automatic voicemail message. Spencer groaned. “Scott!” she shouted at the phone, panicked. Spencer had the urge to throw her phone across the room but was stopped by Derek’s calloused hands. She looked up at him, tears brimming in her eyes. “H-he’s there. Matt. He’s the one controlling Jackson.” She said quickly. “He’s there. And - he’s with Scott and probably St-Stiles and his - ” she paused, pulling from Derek. “Oh, God. His dad, Pops is with them.” She turned to the door to leave.

“Red, wait.” Derek chased after her, grabbing her arm.

“Derek, we have to go. We need to help them. We need to go. Now.” Spencer insisted, forcing Derek’s hands off of her.

“I know. Just five minutes.” He said calmly, arms raised in defense. “Five minutes and we’ll go get the car.”

Spencer shook her head, shaking heavily from her nerves. “We have to go now. Pops is just human. A-and Stiles, he’s - ”

“I know.” Derek promised. He approached her slowly, putting a hand to the back of her head to hold it still while he placed a light, comforting kiss to her forehead.”

Spencer let out a strained breath and dropped her shoulders from their tensed position. “Five minutes.”

!@#$#@!

In those extremely long five minutes, derek had disappeared into the house and came back out with Deaton and a fresh shirt.

The veterinarian went to his car, not acknowledging the nervous Spencer who was pacing amongst the leaves.

They hardly did anything fast enough to Spencer. The run to the subway station for the car felt like hours and the car ride to the station felt even longer. Even with Derek speeding recklessly through the streets the whole way there, it wasn’t fast enough. Spencer’s leg bounced up and down impatiently. When they finally arrived, Spencer pushed her door open quickly, however, Derek stopped her. She looked to the hand on her arm. “What?”

“I go first. You follow me. If I tell you to run, you run.” Derek said, darkly. “Do you understand?”

“Derek, that’s my family in there.”

“And I will make sure they’re okay. But you don’t need to be in danger for that.”

Spencer thought. “If Stiles or his dad are hurt in any way, I’m not going anywhere until they’re safe.” She pulled out of his grasp and left the vehicle.

Derek clenched his jaw. “Stubborn girl.” he said.

“I heard that.” Spencer noted, letting Derek get in front of her before she opened the door to the station. She quietly pointed him in the direction of the sheriff’s office, while trying to ignore the bodies in the lobby. As they approached the door to the offices in the back of the building, Spencer was forced backwards. A scaley arm wrapped around her neck and she gasped for breath.

Derek moved to turn around to see what her problem was when he felt a sharp prick to the back of his neck.

“Jackson.” Spencer coughed. “Stop. Please.”

Jackson released Derek’s neck and the alpha started to fall forward.

Spencer grabbed the back of his shirt, stopping him from falling into the door. Her oxygen level was depleting when she thought she heard voices from the other side of the door.

“Open. The. Door.” The guy said with force.

Ten seconds later, the door opened.

“Oh, thank God.” Scott’s voice was relieved.

The red head couldn’t take it anymore. She needed air. Spencer let Derek’s shirt slip through her fingers and he fell forward. She saw Scott and Stiles in the next room and her determination to get out of Jackson’s hold grew. Spencer moved her hands to grip Jackson’s arm, digging her claws into his skin. Both of her friends helplessly stared at her situation.

“Let her go.” Matt ordered Jackson.

Spencer staggered forward, landing in Scott’s arms and gasping for breath. She coughed and held a hand over her throat, wanting to feel the fresh bruises start to heal.

Jackson stepped forward, looking creepy as only half of his body was covered in scales. He blinked and his blue eyes turned to the yellow slitted ones of the kanima.

Spencer was able to stand on her own and stood between her two friends, staring at the paralyzed Derek on the floor. “Matt, what are you doing?”

“Shut up.” He forced, pointing a gun at her temple.

Spencer sucked her lips into her mouth and bit down on them roughly.

Matt smiled and leaned down to get a better look at Derek.

“This is the one controlling him?” Derek snarked. “This kid?” He looked at the teenager from the corner of his eye.

“Well, Derek, not everyone’s lucky enough to be a big, bad werewolf.” Matt teased. “Oh, yeah, that’s - that’s right.” He stood up straight and turned, looking to Scott and Spencer. “I’ve learned a few things lately. Werewolves, hunters, kanimas. It’s like a frickin’ Halloween party every full moon.” His eyes moved, studying Stiles. “Except for you, Stiles.” Matt narrowed his eyes. “What do you turn into?”

“Abominable snowman.” Stiles quipped.

Spencer elbowed his arm, chastising him. “Not the time, Stiles.”

He ignored her. “It’s more of, like, a wintertime thing. You know, seasonal.”

Spencer noticed Matt share a look with Jackson and flick his head at Stiles. She had tried to intercept the cut to Stiles’ neck, but Jackson moved too quickly. As Stiles fell forward onto Derek, Spencer grabbed Jackson’s arm roughly, only resulting in her own slash from one shoulder to the other side. She seethed in pain falling against the wall behind her.

“Hey!” Scott exclaimed once he realized what was happening.

Jackson held a clawed hand in front of Scott’s face, stopping the werewolf from defending his friends.

“Spencer?” Scott said, quickly looking to her noticing her injury.

Spencer groaned and squeezed her eyes shut. “I’m okay.” she said, unconvincingly. “I can’t move, but I’m okay.”

Derek must have heard her heart just in her lie because he grunted. “Get him off of me.”

Matt laughed. “Oh, I don’t know, Derek. I think you two make a pretty great pair.” He joked, glancing back at Spencer. “Though I’m sure if we threw in your girlfriend, things would be more fun.”

“She’s not his girlfriend.” Stiles corrected, muffled by Derek’s chest. He tried to look at Spencer. “She’s not, right?”

“It must kinda suck, though.” Matt assumed, interrupting Stiles’ one-sided conversation. “To have all that power taken away from you with just a little cut to the back of the neck. I bet you’re not used to feeling this helpless.”

“Stiles got some teeth.” Derek reminded. “Why don’t you get down here a little closer, huh? We’ll see how helpless I am.”

“Yeah, bitch.” Stiles taunted.

Everyone stopped as a car’s headlights shown through the windows.

“Is that her?” Matt asked.

“Who?” Spencer asked, from her slouched spot on the floor. When no one answered, she asked again. “Scotty, who’s ‘her’?”

Scott looked away defeated.

“Do what I tell you to and I won’t hurt her.” Matt promised. “I won’t even let Jackson near her.”

“Scott, don’t trust him!” Stiles begged.

Matt grabbed the back of Stiles’ shirt and roughly flipped him onto his back. The teenager put his foot on Stiles’ chest, blocking his airway. “This work better for ya?”

Spencer felt the anger but she couldn’t do anything about it. “Matt, stop it!” She pleaded, hurting herself as she spoke. “You’re gonna kill him!” She shouted.

“Stop!” Scott stressed.

“Then do what I tell you to.”

“Okay.” Scott subjected. “Alright.”

When Matt didn’t let Stiles go, Spencer grumbled. “Matt, I swear to God, if you don’t let him go, I will kill you the moment I can.” She threatened, hoping she was a little intimidating.

Matt glared at Spencer. He stepped off of Stiles’ chest and squat down next to the redhead. Matt grabbed Spencer’s chin, holding it tightly in his hands. “You’ve got quite the mouth on you, don’t you?”

Spencer just angrily glared at him.

“Matt, stop it.” Scott said. “I’ll do what you want.”

Matt grinned evilly and threw Spencer’s face from his grip. He stood, looking to Jackson. “You, take them in there.” Matt gestured to the room next to Spencer. He looked to Scott. “You… With me.”

Spencer watched as Matt followed Scott from the room. She took a deep breath, her chest stinging from the cuts Jackson gave her. Spencer squeezed her eyes shut, wishing that she could move.

Jackson first grabbed Derek and Stiles and dragged them into the small office. He came back out and grabbed Spencer from under her arms.

The redhead screamed in pain from the pressure he put on her injury as he lifted her. Spencer could feel the blood running down to her stomach and she knew that she wasn’t healing. “Jackson, please.” she begged. “Stop this. Matt doesn’t have to control you.”

Unfortunately for her, Jackson’ didn’t register the request and threw Spencer onto the floor next to the couch, beside Stiles.

Spencer yelped out again as her shoulder bounced off the side of the furniture. She landed in a seated position with her feet colliding with Stiles’ side to keep her from sliding further.

Jackson moved to stand watch over the three of them.

“Spencer.” Stiles called, trying to look at her from the corner of his eye. “Hey, are you okay?” He asked.

She felt her eyes tear up and tried to blink it away. “I’m okay.” Spencer swallowed. “I-I’m not healing, though.” she admitted. “A-and th-the cuts… They’re really bad.”

“Okay, like how bad? Rate it, on a scale of one to ten.”

Spencer though, glancing at Stiles and Derek, confined to their spots on the floor. “Um, maybe a… I don’t know. A seven?” Spencer guessed. “My gunshot wound wasn’t as bad, but I was human then. And this - It’s still bleeding.”

“The toxin.” Derek grumbled. “It’s not letting her heal.”

“So, what are we supposed to do about it?” Stiles asked, obviously panicked. “Just let her bleed out?”

Derek was silent for a moment.

“God, are you even worried about her at all?”

“It’s not like the psycho kid will let Scott’s mom look at her.” Derek argued. “That’s not what she’s here.”

Spencer let out a shaky breath. “Mellisa’s here, too?” She asked, knowing the answer. The only parents she had left were both in the most dangerous spot in Beacon Hills, and Spencer sat motionless, bleeding to death.

“She was supposed to help up put Matt at the hospital the night the pregnant girl was murdered.” Stiles informed.

Just as he finished his sentence, a sound Spencer knew too well echoed throughout the station. The gunshot followed by a sharp high scream from Scott’s mom haunted her. What had happened? Who did Matt shoot? Spencer couldn’t calm her brain. A million thoughts flowed through her, driving her to an anxiety-ridden state. She couldn’t hear Stiles shouting her name, trying to get her attention.

It wasn’t until Scott entered the room, nearly tripping over her legs did Spencer get relieved from her trance.

Scott spoke calmly to Matt. “The evidence is gone.” he said. “Why don’t you just go?

“You think the evidence mattered that much, huh?” Matt shook his head. “No, no, I - I want the book.”

“What?” Scott questioned. “What book?”

“The bestiary.” Matt stressed. “Not just a few pages. I want the entire thing.”

Scott shook his head. “I don’t have it. It’s Gerard’s. What do you want it for anyway?”

Matt sighed. “I need answers.”

“Answers to what?!”

Matt looked to Scott angrily for a second. “To this.” Matt lifted his shirt. He revealed a part of skin that wasn’t tanned anymore. This patch was just like the scales Jackson wore as the kanima. Matt forced his shirt down and looked to Scott. “I’ve got an idea.” He smirked. He flicked his gun back towards the door. “Let’s go, McCall.”

Spencer watched hazily as her friend left a second time. Her breaths were thinner now and she felt tired.

“Hey.” She heard Stiles whisper. “Either of you know what’s happening to Matt?”

“I know the book’s not gonna help him.” Derek admitted. “You can’t just breath the rules. Not like this.”

“What do you mean?”

“Universe balances things out. Always does.”

“Is it because he’s using Jackson to kill people who don’t deserve it?” Stiles wondered.

“And killing people himself.”

“So, if Matt breaks the rules of the kanima, he becomes the kanima.”

“Balance.” Derek said simply.

“Will he believe us if we tell him that?”

“Not likely.”

“Okay, he’s gonna kill all of us when he gets that book, isn’t he?”

“Yup.”

Stiles sighed. “Alright, so what do we do? Do we just - ” he paused. “Do we just sit here and wait to die?”

“Unless I can figure out a way to push the toxin out of my body faster. Like triggering the healing process.”

Stiles felt Derek’s hand move slightly by his side. “What are you doing?” He asked, trying to look down. When he put things together, Stiles groaned. “Awh, gross.” He’d decided to move his attention away from Derek.” Spence?” he called, trying to see her. “Spencer?”

Spencer’s eyes fluttered open. She hadn’t remembered closing them. “I’m here.” She said, weakly. “I’m okay. ‘M just - ‘M tired.” her eyes shut again.

“Hey!” Stiles whispered. “Spencer. Listen to me. Focus on me. You need to stay awake.”

“‘M awake.” her eyes shot open. She could make out Stiles and Derek on the floor, but the image was blurry. “I’m here, Stiles.”

“Tell me how you’re feeling. Are you okay?”

“I - I can’t feel it anymore. But, St-Stiles. I’m scared.” Spencer eyes shut again and a tear slid down her cheek.

“O-Oh, God.” Stiles breathed. “Spencer!” he shouted.

“Red!” Derek called. “Hey!” Derek?” Spencer questioned, feeling almost instantly recovered. “Are you okay? Are you hurt?”

“Don’t worry about me.” he mused.

“I’m so worried, Derek. You know the hunters. They’re gonna come and - ”

“I know, Red. Just stay awake. Stay with me.”

Spencer’s eyes stayed shut this time as everything, including Derek’s attempt to wake her, faded.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know this chapter had a lot going on in it. I apologize if it seems weird or rushed. I’m not doing it on purpose I swear. I might just be really excited to move onto season 3. I’ve got quite a bit of awesome ideas for Spencer against the Alphas and Jennifer.

Thanks for the comment acid_rain88. Your comments always crack me up.

I’m considering not posting on Mibba anymore and moving strictly to FanFiction. I’m only considering it at this point, I haven’t made a final decision yet. Let me know if it would be awful for you guys to make the move.