Love's Spiral

~226

Spencer sat patiently in her truck as she waited for the rest of the crowd to arrive. Thankfully, it wasn’t long after she arrived. She saw the sheriff’s cruiser enter the parking lot. Spencer joined the man at his car and walked with him towards the bleachers to sit down. She noticed that the sheriff was being quiet. Uncharacteristically quiet. Spencer let out a long breath. “How was work today?” she asked.

The man cleared his throat. “Slow.”

Spencer got unnerved by the sheriff’s silence. “Do you think that we’ll win tonight?” She pressed.

“Maybe.” Sheriff nodded.

“Any chance Stiles will play?”

“Probably not.”

Spencer groaned quietly, realizing she wouldn’t get anything from the man. “Okay, I’m just gonna say it.” Spencer turned her body in her seat, folding one of her legs in front of her. “I know how you feel about this emancipation thing.”

“Now, hold on - ” Sheriff responded, raising a finger to stop her.

“No.” Spencer interrupted. “Stiles told me.”

“Ah, jeez.” The man let out a breath, shaking his head. “What did he tell you?”

“Everything.” She smiled. “Kid can’t keep his mouth shut, but at least he’s loyal.” Spencer reached for the sheriff’s hand to grab his attention. “I wish it was as easy as moving all my stuff back to your house. Thing is, it doesn’t feel right. I feel like I have to work things out for myself. If that means getting emancipated, working for myself, and…” she paused.

“And what?” Stiles’ dad asked. “Spencer?”

“Dropping out of school.”

The sheriff shook his head and took his hand back from Spencer. “No.”

Spencer dropped her head. She sensed his disappointment, making her decision harder on her.

“I can’t let you drop out.”

Spencer bit her lip, hesitating her next words. “Technically you don’t have a say whether I do or not.”

“I do. Not only am I responsible for you right now, but I’m also a cop.”

“Pops, you don’t under - ”

“You’re going to school. And you will graduate.” The sheriff said, as if it were final.

Spencer thought for a moment about her next words. She turned back towards the field. “Can I finish?” Spencer asked, then taking the silence as his answer. “I can’t focus on school for another two years. I can’t take the risk of something else happening and me being distracted from it.”

“You have to go to school.”

Spencer shook her head. “There’s, uh, a GED test. I can take it. It’s the same thing as a high school diploma.”

“You’re selling yourself short.”

“Even you used to say that I was too smart for school.”

The sheriff sighed. “Yeah, but I - ”

Spencer shot him a look saying that he couldn’t go back on that now.

“Alright, well, could you just wait until this year is done? Before you make any decisions.”

Spencer nodded.

“And if you do it, you’re taking that test.”

“Yeah.” Spencer lied. “Of course.”

“Hey!” The two heard. Both turned their heads to see Melissa McCall headed their way. The woman sat on the other side of the sheriff and the two began to talk amongst themselves.

Spencer’s eyes searched the field with her eyes landing on the bench. Stiles and Scott were sitting there, half-dressed in lacrosse gear. The two looked distanced. Slightly worried about what they were talking about, she listened in.

“Your dad coming?” Scott asked.

“Yeah, he’s already here?” Stiles glanced back at him and Spencer.

Spencer smiled and waved to the boys.

Stiles showed a small smile, sighed, and faced the field again.

“You seen Allison?” Scott asked his friend, searching the field.

“No, you seen Lydia?”

“Not yet.”

Stiles bounced his leg up and down. He was nervous and it was easy to see that. “You know what’s going on?”

Scott sighed. “Not yet.”

“It’s gonna be bad, isn’t it?” Stiles guessed. “I mean, like, people screaming, running for their lives, blood, killing, maiming kind of bad?” Stiles looked to his friend.

Scott hesitated first, then turned his head. “Looks like it.”

Stiles shook his head. “Scott, the other night, seeing my dad get hit over the head by Matt. You know, and I’m just lying there, and I can’t even move, it just - And Spencer getting seriously hurt trying to defend me… I want to help, you know?” Stiles insisted. “But I can’t do the things you guys do. I can’t.” He trailed off looking down at his gloves then to Scott.

“It’s okay.”

Stiles let out a breath. “We’re losin’, dude.”

Coach approached the boys from behind and leaned over between them. “What the hell are you talking about? The game hasn’t even started yet. Now, put on your helmet.” He said to Stiles. “Get out there. You’re in for Greenberg.”

Spencer’s ears perked up at that and she smiled.

Stiles questioned the coach’s motive. “What? What happened to Greenberg?”

“‘What happened to Greenberg’?” Coach repeated. He held up one hand. “He sucks.” His other hand went up. “You suck slightly less.”

“I’m playing?” Stiles asked, confused by the thought. “On the field? With the team?”

Coach nodded. “Yes, unless you’d rather...play with yourself.”

“I already did that today. Twice.”

Spencer coughed in surprise.

The sheriff put a hand on her back to calm her. It drew her attention away from her friends’ conversation. “You okay?”

Spencer put a hand to her chest and tried to even her breaths. “Yeah, it, uh, might have been a bug or something.”

He rubbed her back for another second and looked to the field. “Oh, no. Why is my son running on the field?”

Spencer smiled.

“Because he’s on the team?” Melissa guessed slowly.

The realization hit the sheriff. “He is.” He looked to Spencer.

Spencer nodded.

The man fidgeted in his seat. “He’s on the team. He’s - he’s on the field.” Pops stood with a raised fist and a proud look on his face. “My son is on the field!”

Everyone who sat around him was staring at him.

Spencer laughed. “We’re all very proud.” She grabbed his arm to pull him back to his seat.

“Scott.” Gerard’s voice sounded, making Spencer freeze.

Scott lifted his head, instantly alert.

“Can you hear me?” Gerard asked. “Ah, you can. Good. Then listen closely because the game is about to get interesting.”

Spencer tried to look around the field inconspicuously to find where he was standing.

“And if any of your other friends are here, I hope they’re listening, too.”

Spencer’s heart dropped and her head stopped. She didn’t want to meet Gerard’s eyes anymore.

“Let’s put a real clock on this game, Scott. I’ll give you until the last thirty seconds.” Gerard explained. “When that scoreboard clock begins counting down from thirty, if you haven’t given me Derek, then Jackson is going to kill someone.”

Spencer shook her head, looking over at Scott. She hoped that he wasn’t going to agree to the man’s terms.

“So tell me, Scott. Who’s gonna die tonight?” Gerard asked. “Should it be your mother, who so bravely came out to support you? Or the sheriff, your best friend’s father?”

Spencer hooked her arm through the sheriff’s, holding it tightly.

The man, not thinking much of it, leaned over and kissed the top of Spencer’s head.

She turned to smile at him and saw Lydia approaching their row. Spencer smiled again at Lydia.

Lydia took the free seat next to Melissa.

“Or how about the pretty, little redhead who managed to survive the bite of an alpha?” Gerard continued to threaten them. “Or maybe one of these innocent teenagers with their whole life ahead of them? Or should I do everyone a favor and kill that ridiculous coach? It’s up to you, Scott. But you are going to help me take Derek down. Because if you don’t…” The old man paused. “I’ll have Jackson rip someone’s head off right in the middle of the field and drench everyone you love and care about in blood.”

The starting whistle blew, taking Spencer out of the trance she shivered, still holding the sheriff.

“You okay?” Pops asked.

Spencer nodded. “It’s chilly tonight.”

!@#$#@!

The game was moving slowly. Beacon Hills wasn’t doing so well with a score of zero to two. The referee blew his whistle loudly, signalling the start of the play. The ball is tossed and it lands in the pocket of Stiles’ stick.

Stiles laughs at it proudly when he notices. Unfortunately, he is tackled just seconds later. His impact made Spencer jump.

“Maybe he’s just warming up.” Melissa suggested, shrugging.

Lydia nodded, agreeing with the woman.

Spencer thought otherwise and shook her head. “It’s ten minutes in. He should be pretty warm by now.”

The whistle blew again. The ball landed right in front of Stiles. The hyperactive teen fumbled with his stick to pick it up. “I got it.” He said to no one in particular. He can’t scoop the ball up in time and is tackled roughly to the ground.

“He’s just a little nervous.” Lydia insisted. “Plenty of time to turn it around.”

Spencer looked to Lydia. She was a little suspicious of Lydia’s sudden interest in her best friend. Spencer’s attention was turned back to the field just in time to see Stiles get hit in his facemask with the ball. Spencer groaned and got to her feet. “I’ll be right back.” She announced scurrying past the sheriff, Melissa, and Lydia. Spencer plopped herself down on the bench next to Scott. “What the hell is going on?” she asked. “Why aren’t you playing?”

“I might be failing a couple classes.”

“You’ve been failing all year.” She pointed out.

Scott only shrugged.

“This has Principal Argent written all over it.” Spencer waited, but Scott never answered. She looked to him. “You’re not gonna do it, are you? What Gerard said?”

“You heard it?”

“Of course. I could recognize that creeper voice from anywhere.”

Scott shook his head and looked to her. “What am I supposed to do?”

“You can’t give him what he wants. Even if he does get Derek, he will still kill whoever he wants.” Spencer watched Stiles on the field.

“I know.” Scott admitted. “I don’t know what to do. I need to be on that field. I can’t do anything to protect people from Jackson if I’m stuck on the bench.”

Spencer sighed, turning her head to Scott. Coming towards the two was a Beacon Hills player that she’d never expected to see. She smiled. “Isaac.”

Scott furrowed his brow, following her line of sight.

Isaac sat down next to Scott with a confident smile on his face.

“You came to help.” Scott said.

“I came to win.” Isaac corrected, glancing to Spencer.

The relief was written clear on Spencer’s face with Isaac’s decision to stay. She couldn’t stop smiling.

Knowing Spencer was happy to have him at the game, gave Isaac more confidence.

Scott turned back to Spencer, but glared past her.

Spencer looked behind her, as well, and saw finally where Gerard was standing.

Gerard noticed the three teenage wolves looking in his direction. The old man’s brashness faltered, but only for a second.

Isaac continued to gear up, pulling on his gloves. “You got a plan yet?” The beta wolf asked, gaining Scott and Spencer’s attention.

“No.” Scott said. “Right now, it’s pretty much just to keep Jackson from killing anyone.”

“Well, that might be easier if you’re actually in the game.”

Scott sighed, knowingly.

“We have to make it so Coach has no choice but to play you.” Isaac offered.

“How do we do that?” Scott looked to the other bench. “He’s got a bench full of guys he can use before he puts me on the field.

“You can make it so they can’t play.” Spencer suggested, shrugging.

Scott slowly turned his head to Isaac. “Could you do it without putting anyone in the hospital?”

Isaac let out a breath. “I can try.”

“Lahey!” The coach shouted, getting up from his spot on the bench. “Where the hell have you been?! Get your ass on the field!”

“Yes, Coach.” Isaac stood, putting his helmet on.

“Be careful.” Spencer stressed.

Isaac nodded, walking onto the field. He paused for a second, standing in JAckson’s line of sight. Isaac grinned mischievously.

“Garner!” Coach shouted. “Get the hell off my bench!”

Spencer nodded, getting to her feet. “You, too.” She turned to Scott. “If anybody dies tonight, I hope its only Gerard.” Spencer said darkly.

Scott nodded and watched her move back to the bench.

Melissa grabbed Spencer’s arm, stopping her before she could pass. “Everything okay down there?” Melissa asked.

“Yeah, just checking in.” Spencer replied, trying to pass, but Melissa didn’t weaken her hold. Spencer glanced to it and back to the woman.

“Really?” Melissa urged.

Spencer shook her head. “Look, I don’t know what’s happened, but it’d be easier on him if you were on his side.”

“How do you - ?”

Spencer looked around, making sure no one was paying any attention to her. “I’m just like him.” She blinked her eyes, flashing them gold and back to the normal blue.

Melissa was speechless.

Spencer managed to get her grip from Melissa’s hand and returned to her seat next to the sheriff. It wasn’t long after, that Spencer saw Isaac check one of his own teammates. The player fell hard to the ground. Spencer smiled and quickly wiped it from her face, hoping no one saw her.

“Lahey!” Coach chastised, putting another player in as the injured one was hauled away.

Isaac checked another player after that. And then another.

“Lahey!” Coach screamed again, pointing at him. “Seriously, what the hell is your problem?”

Spencer laughed at the same time the referee blew the whistle and Isaac shrugged. “You’re doing good, Isaac.” The redhead whispered for him to hear.

The whistle blew again for the start of the play. Everything seemed to be going well until Isaac was knocked down by his own teammate.

Jackson walked away, taking off his helmet, revealing an evil grin.

Spencer stood from her seated position. “Excuse me.” Spencer said, hurrying down to the field when she noticed Isaac wasn’t moving. She joined Scott next to Isaac, getting to her at his head. “Isaac? Are you okay?” she asked taking his helmet off.

“It’s not broken.” Isaac insisted, referring to his leg. He cleared his throat. “But I can’t move it.” Isaac eyed the EMTs that were heading their way. “I think Jackson nicked me, ‘cause I can feel it spreading.”

Scott glared over at Gerard, threateningly.

This caused Gerard’s to speak. “You wanna play chess, Scott? Then you better be willing to sacrifice your own pawns.”

“Don’t listen to him.” Spencer insisted, getting to her feet and moving out of the EMTs way.

Coach came over to the group with a helmet and a stick. He thrust them both into Scott’s arms. “McCall, either you’re in or we forfeit.”

The EMTs lifted Isaac onto a stretcher and started to roll him off of the field.

Spencer quickly followed towards the ambulance.

One of the EMTs stopped her from going further. “Miss, you really can’t hang out around us. We have a job to do.”

The redhead pointed to Isaac. “But he’s - ”

“Your friend will be fine.”

“I can’t leave him.” Spencer shook her head. “He can’t be alone.”

“I’ll be fine.” Isaac called to her.

Spencer narrowed her eyes at Isaac, but sighed. She stopped the EMTs before they could load Isaac into the ambulance to fix him up. “Just a second, okay?”

The EMT nodded, loosening his grip on the stretcher, but he didn’t go far.

Spencer looked to Isaac. “You did it. Scott’s playing.”

Isaac scoffed. “Some good it did. Now Scott’s all alone out there.”

“I’m not good at lacrosse, but I’m not afraid to jump in if I need to.” Spencer smirked, looking over his rigid body. “You gonna be okay?”

“I’ll be fine. It’s just a scratch.” He joked.

Spencer smiled and grabbed Isaac’s unmoving hand. “I’m glad you didn’t leave.”

“Couldn’t leave my best friend. Especially with mean, old Derek.” Isaac smiled, “And who knows? Maybe one day you’ll be over Derek and I’ll have my chance.” He paused. “Are we good?”

“We’re good.” Spencer placed her hand on top of Isaac’s curls and kissed his forehead.

The EMT approached the other side of the gurney. “We really need to patch him up.”

Spencer nodded. “Alright. Return him in no less condition than you found him.” Spencer sighed and returned back to her seat next to the sheriff.

The whistle blew and Scott quickly got into the game. He scooped up the ball into the pocket of his stick. Scott ran to the goal, but was checked along his way.

Spencer quickly inhaled as Scott fell.

Stiles picked up the ball. He noticed a play heading towards him, froze in fear, and was knocked off of his feet. Both boys managed to get up.

“Don’t you know what you’re really bargaining for, Scott? Haven’t you guessed what the real offer on the table is?”

Spencer looked to where Gerard had been, but he wasn’t there.

“It’s Allison.” Gerard said. “It’s always been Allison. You give me Derek, and I will let you have Allison.”

Ten minutes left in the game. Nine and a half until the bodies started to pile up. “Where is he?” Spencer asked softly. She frantically searched the field, eyes stopping at the ambulance. The EMT that Spencer recognized as working on Isaac, stood next to the vehicle. She furrowed her brow, wondering where Isaac was. “Isaac’s gone.” Spencer stood.

Scott quickly faced her and held an arm out. He would handle it.

“Spencer?” The sheriff asked, pulling her gently to sit back down. “You okay? You’re really jumpy tonight.”

Spencer met Melissa’s eyes and took in a shaky breath. “It’s a really suspenseful game.” She explained.

The whistle sounded, turning her attention to a Beacon Hills player who got the ball. The player was checked and lost the ball.

Spencer followed it with her eyes. No one else paid attention to it. It rolled until it stopped in front of Stiles. “Pick it up.” Spencer whispered, not wanting to draw the unneeded attention to him.

Stiles looked down at the ball as everyone on the field looked for it. He scooped it up and shuffled backwards before turning around, sprinting to the goal.

Spencer forgot about Isaac for a moment, watching her best friend.

Stiles kept looking behind him and screaming until the others noticed that he had the ball.

Sheriff cupped his hands around his face. “Oh, crap.”

Stiles got to the goal and paused, looking back at the mob, heading his way.

“Stilinski!” Coach shouted. “Shoot it! Shoot the ball!”

Stiles hesitated.

“Shook it, you idiot!”

“Shoot it!” Lydia screamed.

Finally, Stiles listened, making the goal.

Spencer jumped out of her seat to cheer loudly for Stiles.

The sheriff wasn’t far behind holding his arms in the air.

“Way to go, Stiles!” Spencer screamed.

“Whoo-hoo!” the sheriff cheered.

Stiles looked to Spencer. “I scored a goal?”

Spencer nodded vigorously, the gestured to the scoreboard.

Stiles turned to the scoreboard to see the numbers change. “I scored a goal!” He raised a gloved hand and his stick in the air. It turned out that his one goal was all the confidence boost that Stiles needed. When he got the ball again, Stiles dodged through players to get another goal and tie the game with two minutes left.

Spencer clapped and hollered for him along with the others in their small group.

The hyper teen celebrated his accomplishment, making Spencer laugh.

When the next play started, Stiles got another goal.

“Go, Stiles!” Spencer cheered.

Stiles faced the stands, eyeing her row.

Unfortunately, Spencer noticed that he only saw Lydia. It was like a hard kick to her gut. She looked to Lydia who looked so proud, cheering for Stiles. Spencer turned back to her best friend. She could see the extremely happy look on his face and knew it wasn’t because of his three goals. Spencer looked away from the scene, not allowing it to get to her. She knew Stiles deserved that happiness whether she approved or not.

Spencer glanced to the time clock, doing a double take when the time registered in her brain. Thirty seconds. She looked around for Scott. Spencer spotted him and Isaac coming out from the crowd. She pushed her way off of the bleachers one last time and joined Scott’s side.

Scott was staring out into the field, following Jackson move through the players.

“What do we do?” Spencer asked, looking to Jackson. She saw him drop his gloves and then his eyes flashed yellow.

Scott shook his head, not knowing what to do.

The buzzer sounded for the end of the game, but Spencer hardly heard it. She was too distracted by Jackson’s actions, trying to keep track of him.

Scott let out a breath. “Nothing happened.” He looked to Spencer, “Nothing.”

Spencer was trying to look for Gerard when the field lights went out. She gasped grabbing onto Scott’s arm, not wanting to lose him. Spencer felt an arm on hers and guessed that it was Isaac in the growing chaos. The crowd became panicked and started to scream and run from the field. Spencer’s eyes adjusted and she saw everything happening around her. People grabbed onto their family and friends trying to leave the field. They didn’t know half of what could happen in the darkness.

“Scott!” Melissa shouted, searching for her son. “ Scott, where are you?!”

Spencer and the boys searched for her. “There!” She pointed, finding Melissa.

“Scott!” His mom shouted. She was running towards them without knowing it.

“Mom!” Scott said, grabbing her. “Mom, are you okay?”

Melissa nodded. “Yeah, I’m fine. But somebody is hurt. somebody is down on the field.”

Spencer’s eyes darted to the centerfield. “Stiles?” She questioned. Spencer escaped her hold from Isaac and moved around the mother and son. She rushed towards the small crowd gathered in the middle of the field. The lights flashed on again, making it easier for her to see again. “Stiles!” she called, hoping it wasn’t him.

Coach pushed his way through the people first. “Back off!” He ordered.

Spencer rushed after the man, looking over his shoulder as Coach crouched next to the player. “Jackson.” She gasped. “Oh, no. Melissa!” She shouted over her shoulder.

Lydia pushed through the crowd, shouting Jackson’s name. “What’s happening?”

“Can we get a medic over here?” Coach asked.

Melissa hurried around Spencer. She got to her knees and listened to Jackson’s chest for a heartbeat.

Scott and Isaac came up to Spencer. Isaac put a comforting hand on her shoulder.

Melissa looked up. “He’s not breathing. There’s no pulse.”

“Nothing.” Coach asked.

Melissa lifted up Jackson’s jersey, revealing what looked like claw marks dug deep into his stomach.

Spencer furrowed her brow in confusion. “What the hell?”

Lydia gasped. “Oh, my God! There’s blood.” She began crying a little.

Scott grabbed the wolves’ attention and pointed to Jackson’s hand. “Look.”

“He did it to himself?” Isaac asked.

“Why would he do that?” Spencer questioned.

Melissa looked up at Lydia. “Get down here!” Receiving no response, she repeated herself. “Get down here and hold his head. Tilt it up.”

Lydia obeyed, but she looked like she was struggling to hold herself together.

Spencer looked around, remembering that she hadn’t seen Stiles. “Where’s Stiles?” she looked to Scott. “Stiles?”

“Stiles?” The sheriff asked, coming through the crowd.

Spencer saw the man, feeling instantly bad for not keeping better track of her friend. “Oh, no.”

“Where’s my son?” Sheriff asked quietly. He turned in a circle. “Where’s… Where’s my son? Where’s Stiles?”

Spencer approached the man, stopping him from spinning. “Pops?”

Stilinski met her eyes. “Have you seen Stiles?”

The girl, unfortunately, had to shake her head.

The sheriff pulled away from Spencer. “Where the hell is my son?!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Author’s Note: Oh, my gosh! How is that for a chapter? One thousand words over my minimum. This is great. This is exciting. That alone should tell you how ecstatic I am to almost be one Season 3.

Here is the deal with the transition. There are three more chapters of Season 2. They are already mapped out; all I have to do is write them out. What I haven’t decided is whether I’m going to do the big time jump between seasons or do small ones of them searching for whoever the alphas kidnap.

A lot of what I do is based off of your responses. What do you want and what would you like to see happen? Maybe I can work some of it into my ideas.

Speaking of you guys: Thanks to acid_rain88! I hate to say this, but I am not excited to write Stalia. I don’t have anything against Malia or anything, but Stalia was too forced on the show. I’m with Stydia all the way. However my story could still go either way.

Lastly, to kasey_n_landon, Derek will find out about the kiss. I won’t saw how he reacts, but it was fun writing the scene where he does.

You are all perfect and I hope you are excited for season 3.

Also, please feel free to message me. I need friends to gush over Teen Wolf with. And this is my desperate attempt of making them. Hope you enjoyed the chapter!