Love's Spiral

~108

The next morning was Thursday. Scott had gone in early to tell the coach that he couldn’t play in the game. He didn’t know if he could get a handle on his anger by then. He really wanted to play but he didn’t think that he could.

In the meantime, Stiles still went by Spencer’s house to pick her up for school. He knocked for about ten minutes before he gave up and trudged to school by himself.

Spencer cried into Derek’s chest as Stiles knocked on the door. She felt terrible that she couldn’t just face him. That she had kept him knocking that whole times and couldn’t even get up to tell him that she didn’t need a ride.

The three friends were having a hard time sticking together. Spencer felt as if she were to blame. She was the one who said yes to Stiles. She was the one who had taken her feelings towards Derek to a whole different level.

Everything just came back to her headaches. She would still get them. They would be less intense around Derek, but they still hurt her. She didn’t know what they were or why they were affecting her so much. She took medicine every chance that she could, but with the medicine her headaches were still bad.

@$#%$#@

Spencer woke up to her phone making a noise. She rolled over and sat that the other half of the bed was empty. She felt her eyes tear up when she realized that Derek had left. She bit her lip to stop the tears. She rolled over to drink some water and check her phone. Her tears dried up when she saw that there was a text from Derek. It said that he had run to the burnt house but he would be back. She sighed, calming down.

She stood up from bed slowly and threw her red hair into a messy bun. She rubbed her forehead, trying to push her most recent headache away. She decided that she should keep herself occupied so she ran up to the safe house to clean up any mess that Derek had made. She ran up to the house, getting her exercise in for the day. She walked in and noticed that Derek hadn’t made much of a mess at all. Almost as if he hadn’t even been in there. She smiled, thinking about him being in here; too awkward to be anywhere that he wasn’t comfortable. She was about to turn away when she noticed that one of the books from the small bookshelf was glowing faintly.

“What the hell?” She said, aloud. She walked over to the bookshelf and took the glowing book out of it. It was a leather bound book with GARNER FAMILY written in big bold letters. she had never seen this before. She opened the front cover and it felt as if a breeze went past her. She checked the door though and it was closed. She furrowed her eyebrows and started to read.

“Throughout history, Garner family members have been known to be an aid to things the real world does not know exists. Werewolves, vampire, wizards, and witches. Garner women have been known to be of greater help, for they themselves have inherited anyone of these traits.”

“What?” she couldn’t believe what she was reading. She didn’t understand. She read through it a little bit more trying to see if she could make any more sense of it. She couldn’t. She grabbed the book anyway and took it into her room. She sat with her phone in her hands, trying to decide who she should talk to about this.

@$#%$#@

Scott was biking quickly through the woods. He needed to scream at Derek, punch him, kill him. He was near Allison and that made him angry. He threw his backpack and lacrosse gear to the ground and ran up to Derek’s house.

“Derek!” Scott shouted. “Derek!” he looked around and saw a dug up place in the ground, but thought nothing of it. “Stay away from them! Allison and Spencer!”

Derek appeared on the porch.

“Allison doesn’t know anything and Spencer’s got a lot on her plate.”

“I know what Spencer’s going through!” Derek growled.

“Then why did you kiss her?!”

Derek looked away. He didn’t need to justify himself to Scott. He was only a kid. “What if your little girlfriend does know something? You think your little buddy, Stiles, can just Google werewolves and not you go all the answers? Is that it?”

“She doesn’t know anything!” Scott screamed again.

“You don’t get it yet, Scott, but I’m looking out for you. Think about what would happen. You’re out on the field, the aggression takes over and you shift in front of everyone. Your mom, your girlfriend, your friends. And when they see you, everything will fall apart. Worse: if something gets you really angry, you might just hurt someone.”

“What about you? You think you can control yourself around Spencer? You’re no good for her, Derek!” Scott shouted.

Derek nodded his head. “You think I don’t know that?”

“What?” Scott was confused.

Derek shook his head and disappeared back into the house.

Scott stared back over where the ground was dug up for a moment before rushing back to his house. He called up Stiles telling him that he had found something out, possibly about the other half of the body. Stiles didn’t say anything before he hung up the phone.

Five minutes later, Stiles was running up the stairs, banging on the walls, and barging into Scott’s room. “What did you find? How did you find it? Where did you find it? And, yes, I’ve had a lot of Adderall today, so…”

“I found something at Derek Hale’s.” Scott said, standing from his desk.

Stiles’ mind was going wild, imagining the things that could go wrong at Derek’s to get Spencer away from that werewolf. “Are you kidding?! What?!”

“There’s something buried there. I could smell blood.”

“That’s awesome!” Stiles smiled. “I mean, that’s terrible. For Spencer’s safety. Whose blood?”

Scott shrugged, standing in front of Stiles. “I don’t know. But when we do, your dad nails Derek for the murder. And then you get Spencer back. Then you and her are going to help me figure out how to play lacrosse without changing. Because there is no way that I’m not playing in that game.” Scott walked past Stiles to leave his room.

Stiles punched his arm into the air and quickly followed.

@$#%$#@

Spencer sat on her bed, not exactly sure what to do with herself. She read through the first few pages of the book. Everything was too complicated for everything to be taken in all at once. She would only end up catching on a couple of words or phrases. Once sentence made complete sense to her though.

“Once the young woman of Garner blood reaches the age of seventeen and a half, she will start showing signs of a change. There will be headaches that no medicine can sure. These headaches will be less intense around those we help. They will go away with a recipe that can be found in this book.”

She had stopped reading since that made so much sense to her. However, now she had to find a recipe in a huge book, that she’d never even seen before today. With as many times as she’s been up in the safe house, it was amazing to her how she hadn’t seen it.

Spencer needed to move her focus to something else. She was beginning to feel overwhelmed. She wanted to call Lydia.

“Hello?”

Spencer furrowed her brow.

Hello? Spencer?”

“Lydia?” Spencer said, out loud. She looked down in her hands at her phone, which had Lydia’s name lit up on it. She picked it up. “Hey, did you call me?”

“No, you called me.” She said warily.

Spencer was confused. She didn’t call her.

“Is everything okay?”

Spencer leaned back against her headboard and let out a deep breath. “I’m not so sure.”

Lydia didn’t respond.

“Can I just ramble to you? You don’t need to say anything.”

“Yeah, of course.”

Spencer took in a big puff of air. “I’m just lost. I’m confused. I feel like my parents have kept things from me this whole time. Ever since I was born it’s like they don’t tell me everything about my life. About who they are. I don’t even know what really happened to my dad. My mom just says there was an accident. Am I supposed to believe that? Or should I press for more. I mean, it’s not like I can even get time to talk about them. Mom’s at the hospital all the time. Dad doesn’t even know who the hell I am. And some shit went down with Stiles. I can’t even look at him. I messed up big time, Lyds.”

“I’m sorry sweetie. Can you give me a minute?”

“Yeah, sure.” Spencer said.

She could still hear Lydia on the other end. “Yeah, I didn’t get any of what you just said. Is it worth repeating?” Lydia asked.

Who was she talking to? Spencer thought.

“No. Sorry.” A male voice said.

Spencer groaned. She would know that voice anywhere.

“Hey, sorry about that. Some guy just came up and started talking to me about some sort of cell phone connection.”

Spencer groaned a second time. “It wasn’t a cell phone connection, Lydia. That was Stiles. He was talking about a connection with you.”

Lydia laughed. “That’s ridiculous.”

“Yeah, well, tell him that.” Spencer was a little hurt about the fact that he was still hung up on Lydia. They went out on a few dates and Stiles’ feelings about her can’t just change that quickly. Stiles still liked Lydia. He had even when he was going out with Spencer. “Hey, um, Lydia. I gotta go. I’ll talk to you later. I might be in school tomorrow. I’m not sure yet.”

“Alright, hon. I hope you feel better.”

Spencer nodded to herself. “Yeah, me too.”

@$#%$#@

Scott had rejoined Stiles after checking the scent of the half of the body that was found. Stiles was reading a pamphlet about the menstrual cycle. Scott shook his head and pulled the pamphlet away making Stiles jump.

“Oh, God!” Stiles shouted. A few nurses looked their way, but Scott and Stiles ignored them.

“The scent was the same that I smelt at Derek’s house.”

“You sure?”

Scott nodded. “Yes.”

Stiles sighed. “So, he did bury the other half of the body on his property.”

“Which means we have proof that he killed the girl.”

“Which also means that Spencer is hanging out with a murderer.” Stiles said, with a scared tone to his voice. “I saw that we use it.”

“How?” Scott questioned.

“Tell me something first.” Stiles began. “Are you doing this because you want to stop Derek and help Spencer, or because you want to play in the game and he said you couldn’t?”

“There are bite marks on the legs, Stiles. Bite marks.” Scott stressed.

“Okay. Then we’re gonna need a shovel. And we have to act. Tonight. Spencer said that she was hanging out with Derek tonight. It’s the perfect time.”

@#$%$#@

Spencer sat on her bed with her phone a foot in front of her. She wanted to see if what happened with the phone call from Lydia would happen with a phone call to Derek. She took a deep breath.

“I want to call Derek.” She said, aloud. Next that she knew, her phone lit up as it called Derek. She smiled.

“Spencer? What’s wrong?”

She laughed. “Nothing. Um, actually things are great. Well, confusing, but great. Can you come over? We’re hanging out tonight, right?”

Derek couldn’t say no to her, not when she wounded so excited about it. “Yeah, I’ll be there soon.”

“Hurry. I think I may have found out what’s going on with my headaches. And it’s…” Spencer searched for the right word, “It’s out there. Weird, I mean.”

Derek chuckled. “Alright. I’ll leave in five.”

“I…” Spencer started, not really sure how to end a phone call with him. “I’ll see you when you get here.” Spencer got up and went to her bathroom and looked in the mirror. She realized how terrible she looked and knew that she didn’t want Derek to see her like this. She quickly turned on the shower and cleaned herself completely, washing her hair and even going as far to shave her legs. She came out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around her body.

Walking out of her bathroom to her room, she almost ran into a body. She looked up and saw Derek. “Shit! Derek! You have got to stop sneaking up on me.” She watched his eyes fall to the towel that covered very little of her body. She smirked at him. “Just gimme a minute to get dressed.” She said, reaching into a dresser drawer to get a pair of shorts and one of her dad’s t-shirts. She went back into the bathroom and changed, her red hair, wet and flowing down her shoulders. She came back out to see Derek rifling through the book she had found in the safe house. “That’s what I found.” She sat next to him on her bed. “It say that my family has helped people like you for centuries. And by people like you, I mean werewolves, vampires, the supernatural stuff.”

“That is interesting.”

“And then it says that I will be something like that.” Spencer said, scared about what he would think about that.

Derek furrowed his brow. “What do you mean?”

“The book says that I’m changing into one of them. I could be a werewolf or a vampire or a witch.”

Derek knew that Spencer was really excited about her changing. Derek was very unsure about it. He didn’t know if he wanted Spencer to be different. But then again, if she was like him, he wouldn’t have to worry about her too much.

“That’s why I have been getting the headaches. It even gives me a remedy. Somewhere in here.”

“Do you have an idea of what you might be? I mean, this is all pretty weird. Where did you even find this?”

“I told you, right? It was in the safe house. I went in there to clean up your mess, even though you didn’t make one. And this was glowing, in the bookshelf.” Spencer grabbed the book from Derek and flipped through the pages herself.

“I’ve never heard of anything like these helpers.”

“Well, yeah. Maybe they like to keep a low profiles, you know. So they don’t get chased after, too. I mean I would hate to get on the bad side of something like any of this.” She flipped through the pages of enemies. More specifically the enemies of the werewolf.

“What do you think you are?” Derek asked again.

“Honestly?” she questioned.

Derek nodded.

“I think I’m a witch.” she told him. “I can’t be sure though. I haven’t read much more than what I told you. But, look what I can do.” she set her cell phone down in front of her like she had earlier. She didn’t push any buttons, she just set it down. “I want to call Derek.” She whispered to herself. Then her phone lit up and Derek’s started to ring with her ringtone. Derek pulled his phone out and confirmed that she was calling him. Derek looked surprised. “I know!” Spencer smiled. “It’s awesome, right?”

Derek just smiled at how excited that she was about it.

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

He only shrugged.

“Say something.”

“Why hasn’t anyone told you about this? Like your mom?”

Spencer groaned. “I don’t know. They seem to be hiding a lot from me. I don’t even want to talk about that.”

“Okay, so have you talked to Stiles today?”

“Another thing that I don’t want to talk about.” Spencer said, honestly.

“What do you wanna talk about?” Derek asked.

Spencer bit her lip and looked down at her hands.

“I wanna talk about… why you left the other day?”

Derek looked confused.

“After we, uh, kissed.”

Derek didn’t say anything, but caught on.

“Did you wolf out or what?”

“No, I didn’t ‘wolf out’.” he said to her. “Well, not completely. My instincts got a little ahead of me, but that’s not why I left.”

Spencer waited for him to continue.

“I didn’t know what to do. Once you said that you weren’t ready, I got the feeling that I had pushed you.”

“You didn’t push me.” Spencer admitted, shaking her head. “I kissed you first, remember? You didn’t push me into anything. I wanted to kiss you.” She paused. “I don’t know what happened. One minute I was ready to be with Stiles and then I saw you and you kept popping up. I can’t explain it.” She looked away from Derek. “But I need to know.” Spencer didn’t look up from her hands. “Do you think that it can happen again? Us, kissing?”

Derek laughed. “Are you asking for permission?”

Spencer nodded her head, slowly, looking up through her bangs. “Shouldn’t I be asking you? You are underage.” He said, with a smirk.

“Only by a little bit. But I really like you. I don’t know how it happened so fast, but I just do.”

Derek nodded. “I know what you mean.”

“So…” Spencer trailed off.

Derek didn’t say anything or hint that he would want it either way.

Spencer took initiative. She moved up on her knees and kneeled beside Derek to be just as tall as he was. She turned his head to face her, her hand on his cheek and his eyes closed.

Derek enjoyed her touch and her scent. He took it in.

Spencer leaned forward placing her forehead on his.

He took a big breath of her and couldn’t resist anymore. Derek grabbed her waist and moved her to straddle him.

Spencer laughed. “I’m gonna take that as a yes?” She smiled.

Derek opened his eyes and they were a striking, electric blue.

At first, Spencer was a little taken aback and scared, but she thought again how he wouldn’t hurt her. She leaned in to kiss him deeply.