Status: Very slowly active. My apologies.

Someone to Remember

Moving Forward from the Grind

Once she was back in her familiar living room, she tossed her purse and script down on the couch and let out an enthusiastic scream, making Link jump back slightly on the counter. She scuttled over to him and ruffled his fur gleefully.

“I finally did it, boy. I got a big part!” She couldn’t control the overwhelming good feelings she was having. She felt as light as a cloud and had all the energy of a firecracker that was freshly lit.

She danced around her apartment, full of bliss, and when she reached her window, she noticed that Tom’s car was still there on the curb. Feeling a bit crazy, she took out her phone and opened her messages, starting a new one to Tom.

Maya: I can see you outside still. ???

She waited a minute or two before he sent her a short reply, probably a cover up.

Tom: I was looking for something in the car, sorry.

A subtle laugh left her lips and she shook her head, watching him now pull away from the building and drive off quickly. She could only imagine the bewildered look on his face when he got her message. Shaking off that event, she resumed her dancing to her bedroom and changed into her casual lounging clothes. Another night to myself, it seems, she thought. Now I can catch up on my shows. An excited smile appeared on her face again as she turned on her television and crossed her fingers, hoping that the U.K. would still play some of her favorite American shows, like “Community” and “Criminal Minds”.

That rest of the week was painfully slow again for Maya, as she resumed her daily coffee shop grind. She was more than ready to stop working there and to fully dedicate her time to acting. Ever since she had gotten her role, she had informed her boss and told her that she would most likely have to quit soon. The older woman didn’t take the news very lightly. Maya remembered how she had gotten a long lecture about how she had to work hard for her money and she only got the role because of Tom’s suggestion, not actually going out to find it herself. She spent almost fifteen minutes listening to the same things repeatedly from the lady with the constant inclination to smash her head into the coffee pot. Yes, Tom had helped her get the part, but she also worked her whole life to gain the acting skills she had. It wasn’t completely due to Tom that she had her role secured. It was her acting in front of the panel that made them choose her. If she had been horrible or just not even good enough, they wouldn’t have hired her for the part.

Regardless of what she was told, she only felt the motivation of her new prospect and the hopes of leaving her job soon.

The day before her first official day on set, Maya had decided, after much thought and internal deliberation, that she would quit at the coffee shop and cope with not having as much money at the moment. She had just enough for rent and bills until her first acting check came in. Some things that she enjoyed doing, like having the television on in the evenings or occasionally getting fast food, would have to be lessened or cut out completely for the time being, but deep down, she knew she could handle herself. After all, she was an adult in her mid-twenties, thousands of miles away from anyone who could help her, so her options were limited to none.

“Beth,” the younger woman called into the back room of the shop. “Beth, I need to talk to you.”

“If the espresso machine isn’t working, just hit it a couple times,” came a gruff reply from the older, grumpier lady.

“I’m serious, Beth,” Maya said as she came into the room. “It’s not about that damn, junky machine.” Beth raised an eyebrow skeptically at the different tone of voice the younger girl carried.

“What do you need, Rogers?”

Maya took a deep breath and straightened her stance. It wasn’t that she was scared to quit, it was the fact that Beth had always intimidated her from day one. But now, she had to suck it up and get her point across.

“I can’t work here anymore,” she managed to say in the most confident voice she could, refusing to let Beth’s stare shake her.

“Can’t work here anymore? You’re really going to give up your only job for some stupid, one-time thing?”

“It’s not stupid,” Maya replied fiercely. “And it’s not a one-time thing. This is my ticket out, and I just don’t have the time to be here when I have to be memorizing lines and getting to the set on time.”

The steady glare Beth held seemed to no longer bother the smaller woman as she stood strong and ready to just leave. But after a few moments, her words appeared to have sunk into her boss’s head, and her glare faded away with a conflicted sigh.

“You know, Rogers,” Beth started. “You’ve been the only employee of mine that was willing to do anything, whether it meant sacrificing your weekend or compromising your sleep schedule. You’re a hard, dedicated worker.” She paused as a small smile crept onto her face. “And I think you have earned that role.”

Maya tried to hide the grin on her face, but it felt good knowing that someone was proud of her, especially when those words came from her not-so-friendly boss.

“The customers are surely going to miss you,” Beth quickly added, chuckling softly. “Hell, everyone here’s going to miss you.”

“You know I live right down the street,” Maya said as she started to untie her apron. “Plus, I’ll always pop in with more customers for a snack.” She handed her apron over to Beth, with a bittersweet smile on her face, but was shocked when Beth simply shook her head and pushed the apron back to her.

“You keep it. That way if anything happens, I can just hire you again.” A toothy grin was flashed Maya’s way as both of them laughed at the older woman’s humor. After a few moments more of talking, they agreed that Maya would finish that day’s shift and collect her paycheck. She never thought that she would get a bit sentimental over this job, but she knew that it would always hold a special place in her heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maya's moving on from the coffee shop, but maybe it'll pop back in later in the story.
Brief, new character in this chapter, and yes, I know it's shorter than the last. I'm just trying to space it out in a way that makes sense.
Hope you're enjoying it!