Vamp Camp

005: Professor Lumos

Amorette's POV

My stuttering heart calmed and I shot Mr Geraldine a thankful look. He simply nodded and lead Alexander away. I saw him glance back once or twice, only to force my heart to accelerate once again.

I looked down at my barren tray of food and decided to give up on eating. I lifted it off the table, walked over to the trash can, dumped it, and walked away toward my next class. Getting ahead of the crowd would only be an asset at this point. The empty elevators allowed me to think for myself. I rode to the third floor. I had history with a Professor Lumos. What an odd name... Well, I was one to be talking... My name is Amorette after all.

I eventually found my class, and with five minutes to spare. The door was open, so I peaked in. The lanky man sitting behind the messy desk didn't even have to look up to notice me. "You must be Amorette..." His silvery hair was pulled back into a loose ponytail, with a few strands of hair hanging in his face. He wore glasses that hid his eyes from sight. His olive toned skin stood out against his pale beige suit.

"Um... Y-yes." His eyes were instantly on me. I was instantly startled at the brilliant jade eyes now staring back at me. I was also thoroughly stunned at how young he was. He couldn't be older than his early thirties or late twenties.

"No need to be afraid." His lips spread into a warm smile, "Come in and make yourself at home." I nodded and stepped in, "You may sit where ever you like." I simply nodded again and sat close to the front. "You're a young lady of few words aren't you Miss Lynne." I barely parted my lips for a retort when he stopped me, "Or is it that you're as timid and anxious as they say...?"

"I'm not that timid..." I protested. I guess all of the teachers got the vibe that I was a paranoid freak of nature... Or as he had put it, "timid and anxious."

He leaned forward almost intently, "Not that timid, eh?" My lips parted once again for a useless attempt at a response. "I meant no disrespect. All of your teachers were informed on what had happened with Alexander." I shuttered at the memory, causing some of my hair to fall off my shoulder. His eyes dropped to my shoulder, so I covered it again.

"It saddens me to inform you about this, but Alexander happens to be in this period." My heart stuttered painfully. "If he ever gives you a problem, alert me, and I will handle it." I felt the corners of my mouth twitch upward into a smile.

The bell rang and students began filing through the hall, into classes, and into their seats. I kept my head low when Alexander sauntered through the door. I knew he spotted me when he plopped down into the seat behind me.

"Hello there..." His most commonly repeated phrase throughout the day...

"Leave me be." My voice wavered, even though I tried to keep it smooth. He chuckled and sat back in his seat.

All the students eventually filed into the class room, and Professor Lumos continued on with class. "Good morning class..." He reminded me of a lanky and younger Mr Geraldine. The entire class muttered out replies to his greeting. "Today, we will venture back..." He carried on with the lecture.

He was describing the civil war in its entirety. I was rather impressed. He seemed like he was keeping down the descriptions of violence and methods of gory war. I wonder if it was because, for the first time, there was a female present. Did he think I would get scared? If so, the idea of growing afraid due to a gory civil war lecture was ludicrous.

"Robert E. Lee..." Every time he would start a new topic, he would raise his voice a tad. He wouldn't shout, but it was enough to let us know the subject had changed.

His teaching style intrigued me. He could keep his audience's attention without having to do anything ridiculous or absurd to get it in the first place. His speaking was rather casual without sacrificing the historical and intellectual value of the lecture. I didn't really grow up around men, so I don't know how easily they are entertained by blood and gore. Of course, I was thoroughly intrigued by his lecture as well.

He seemed a little untamed and casual to be a teacher. To many, the definition of a teacher would be a stiff that just instructs. But Professor Lumos didn't fit under that category. He doesn't really fall under any category as far as teachers go.

It never failed. I would get sucked into Professor Lumos's lecture, and Alexander would do something to distract me. He would allow his breath to flow onto my earlobe, twirl a strand of hair around his finger, or even brush his cold fingers across the back of my neck. Each time I shivered, he would only quietly chuckle and continue as if nothing was wrong.

I would occasionally feel his long fingers brush across my shoulders or down my spine. His cool fingers could even be felt through my top, which was rather thick might I add. The spike I felt in my heartbeat merely amused him. The flutter of nerves that made my stomach twist did not deter him. When he brushed his finger across my ear, I had finally had enough.

"Please stop, Alexander." I muttered. My voice was tiny and meek, but the quivering could be heard none-the-less.

Professor Lumos stopped mid-sentence, "Is there a problem I should know about, Miss Lynne?"

"I-I..." What had I done. The nerves in my stomach twisted again, making the urge to vomit run rampant once again. Sure this was my chance to give him another piece of his own medicine, but what would he do if I sold him out? "Alexander was just-" I cut my self off.

"Are you trying to tell me that Alexander is harassing you, despite the principal's orders?" His tone was sure as though he instantly got what I was trying to say. I was glad that I just didn't have to say it. I didn't even have to nod. He took the desperate plea in my eyes as an answer enough.

"Mr. Flannery, would you kindly stop bothering Miss Lynne..." He gave him an intimidatingly polite smile. Hell, the smile even made me shiver. Alexander seemed indifferent. "This is your only warning."

"Why of course, professor Lumos." Alexander's voice was fakely innocent and polite. I sighed, knowing it wouldn't be over that easily. Professor Lumos narrowed his eyes suspiciously and continued his lecture none-the-less.

I tensed, bracing myself for Alexander to continue. When he didn't, I felt an uneasy feeling waft down my spine. I knew he would continue eventually, it was inevitable. I gnawed on my lip and attempted to focus on the lecture in order to calm my nerves. My mind was circling and floating too much in order to concentrate.

Then I'd decided to allow my mind to wonder to something else. Or should I say, someone else... Christopher... The way his brown black hair framed his face... His piercing jade-hazel eyes... His cool, pale skin... His gorgeous features... Not to mention his kindness... My heart stuttered, just picturing him in my mind. It felt a little wrong that my memories of his beautiful face were my escape from the world around me. The sound of his smooth voice floated around my mind. The words he had spoken to me near the brink of death... Everything was peaceful...

Then Alexander had started again. I could feel his icy fingers brush against my back as they tangled into the tips of my hair. He continuously twirled my hair around his fingers and began to play with the fabric of my sweater. I gnawed on my lip nervously. My stomach flopped uneasily and the urge to puke be came assertive once more. I forced my teeth out of my lip and parted them as though I were about to speak.

A part of me yearned to let loose a plea. A plea begging him to stop messing with me. Simple things like this shouldn't bother me, but I already had an issue with physical affection. It was rare when I allowed a female to show any sort of physical affection, yet alone a male.

I knew Alexander was merely messing with me. I remembered the words he had spoken so clearly on the elevator, where we'd had our first, and hopefully last, repercussion. The pain following the incident could not be forgotten. Nor could the nightmares that had occurred that night... I tried to shake them off so that I would forget about them. I didn't need to think of them now.

His fingers then began to trace my spine again. "Alexander..." I groaned. My groan was much more submissive and passive then it should've been.

"Alexander." He had stopped mid-sentence once again. I glanced up at him. He hadn't even turned around yet.

"What!?" His outburst feigned innocence as if he hadn't been doing a thing. I chewed on my lip again. I was glad in a way that he had heard it. Honestly, I didn't wan't to be the one that said it out loud. Even though technically, I did.

"Have I, or have I not told you to leave Amorette be?" He now turned around to face him. He held a calm, yet still terrifying demeanor.

"I wasn't bothering her." He seemed to wave it off as though my protests were nothing.

"Then why does it seem as though she is bothered?" His question was skeptical with a slight rhetorical undercurrent to it. I could not hear a response from Alexander, and from Professor Lumos's reaction, he must have shrugged. Professor Lumos raised an eyebrow. "Oh really... You don't know?" Now his question was undoubtedly rhetorical.

"Duh." His tone was pompous. It was as though he could have cared less who he was speaking to. "I'm not afraid of you or the fat man, so you might as well give up the intimidation routine." I could see many of the male students sink in their seats and scoot away from him at that moment.

When I finally looked up at Professor Lumos's face, I realized why. He wore the same smile that Mrs Ginger wore. It was polite, smug, and yet still deadly. "Oh, you don't say..." His smile was now even more intimidating than it had ever been. "Not afraid, huh." He calmly advanced, "Here, I'll cut you a deal..." He paused as if to hear his approval.

"Continue..." Alexander's tone was cautious yet intrigued.

Professor Lumos's smile grew into a large smirk, "How about you and I have a little sparring match...?" A slight hushed murmur began to float throughout the room.

"What do I get out of it?" Alexander's attitude was now self-riteous.

His smirk was now pleased as though he had gotten the expected reaction out of Alexander. "If you win, you may do as you please and harass Miss Lynne however you see fit, and I won't tell Mr Geraldine." I was so utterly horrified by his words that my outburst just jumped from my lips.

"What!?" My voice rose from its regular octave. My heart stuttered uncomfortably and my stomach twisted pushing forward the urge to heave. I could feel knots form all over my body. I stared up at the teacher with pleas in my eyes.

He looked back at me and winked. This took me off guard and calmed my nerves slightly, not completely but it helped some.

"But-" He put a lot of emphasis on the single word, "if you lose, you are not to bother Miss Lynne ever again." There were challenges in his eyes, that made him hard to face.

"Do you really think that the likes of you can defeat a vampire...?" I glanced back at Alexander, who wore a skeptical smile on his face.

I looked back at Professor Lumos. He still wore the challenges in his eyes. "Alright then tough guy..." He waved him forward, "Come on." My heart fluttered nervously as Alexander rose from his seat and sauntered forward. His fingers brushed across my shoulder as he passed, forcing me to shiver.

"Attack me." It was almost as if it was an order. I watched Alexander blur forward. It was as if he barely moved. For a few moments, I had began to fear that Professor Lumos would not prevail. It only took a few moments for that feeling to change.

Alexander was instantly stopped. Professor Lumos grabbed his wrist and collar and shoved him back. He easily lifted him off his feet and slammed him through the desk to the left of mine. The desk crunched and fell apart beneath Alexander.

Professor Lumos stared down at him triumphantly. "The next time you want to bother this little lady, just remember hot shot, there are consequences to every decision you make." My stomach untwisted and my heart fluttered happily. I had never, in all of my years of schooling, met a teacher anything like him. "Now, please take your seat."

Alexander shoved himself up from the ground and stormed back to his seat. Anger was rolling off of him in waves, and I didn't have to be an empath to notice it. I had a really good feeling about this class. I could tell already that I was going to like it.

Professor Lumos winked at me once more. He looked up at a clock that hung above his desk, "Well, it seems that class is about to come to a close. Why don't you talk for the last five minutes of class." He strolled to his desk and sat down in the chair behind it.

A low muttering filled the room as it had after Alexander's bold comment. Most of it was about how Alexander had gotten a taste of his own medicine. From most of the excitement floating through, I wasn't the only thing that got some joy out that display.

I then heard a male voice beside me, "Hi." I jumped and turned to look at him. Staring back at me was a boy with shaggy dyed black hair and foggy, hazel-brown eyes hidden by bulky black glasses frames. I had seen this pale boy before. He was Mathew's partner in gym class this morning.

"H-Hi..." My murmur was tiny and almost lost in the soft roar of the class room. I only hoped he could hear me.

"My name's Davis." He gave me a coy smile, "I'm sure you've seen me before. I was Matt's partner this morning." I smiled back and nodded. "I've been wondering why there's been such a buzz about you around school and now I guess I can see why." His smile grew warm.

Davis was rather attractive. His lanky form was accented by a pair of black skinny jeans and a form hugging tee. He was also extremely pale. His pale skin reminded me of Christopher's. Could he be the same creature of the night that Christopher was? That Alexander was...? Did he share the same frigid skin?

The bell rang before I could get a chance to speak again. I glanced at Professor Lumos, who returned with a warm smile. After everyone left I stopped at his desk. I parted my lips to speak, but he intercepted me.

He raised his hand as if to motion for me to stop, "No need to say anything." He said it as if what he had done was no big deal. I opened my mouth to speak again, but once again he had stopped me. "Alexander had it coming, besides it's the least I can do to make you comfortable here. If he ever bothers you again, I want you to tell me and I will handle it accordingly." He gave me a warm smile. I smiled back and walked out of the class room.

Pausing at the door, I fumbled around with my books until I came across the slip of paper I was looking for. I knew it was about time for me to head up stairs to the dorm I was assigned. I could only hope that the inhabitants of this dorm were tolerable. I made my way through the crowd of males and to the elevator.

I stepped into the least crowded elevator and pressed the button for floor seven. The ride was long and awkward, but it grew even more so when the tall, burly male that had accompanied Alexander stepped in. He pressed the button for the seventh floor, making me chew on my lip. Eventually we reached the sixth floor and we were the only two left on it.

"You must be Amorette." The boy looked down at me. He seemed slightly intimidating as his blue hazel eyes bore into mine. "I'm sure you recognize me from that incident with Alexander. My name is Demitri." He gave me an awkward smile. I bit my lip as my stomach flopped nervously.

"You have no reason to fear from me." He sighed tucking a lock of his jet black hair behind his ear. "But I do want to apologize for Alexander's stupidity, though. I should have done something to prevent what happened yesterday, but I didn't. And for that, I apologize." There was a part of me that didn't want to believe him, but there was a sincerity in his eyes that I couldn't argue with.

"I take it you're headed to your dorm...?" The elevator sure was taking it's sweet time. I nodded, "Maybe I could walk you there..." I bit down on my lip harder, but I still nodded. It would be better than walking alone. When the elevator door opened, we finally reached the seventh floor. "What number is your dorm?"

I picked up the white slip of paper that had all of my necessary information on it. I looked at the dorm number I was assigned, "Dorm number 754..." I muttered. Demitri grew a little rigid beside me.

"How ironic. That's my dorm as well..." There was an unmistakable undercurrent of nervousness in his words. I began chewing on my lip. Mr Geraldine had told me I would be sharing a five room dorm with four other guys, and I guess Demitri wasn't half bad. We stepped out, and he lead me to our dorm. The door was a dark mahogany finish with a bronze plaque that read 'Dorm 754.'

He opened the door and allowed me to enter first. I stepped in and I instantly locked eyes with Christopher. I could feel a tingle rise to my cheeks as my lip quivered. I bit down on it so that it wasn't noticeable.

"This is the newest addition to our dorm..." Demitri announced gravely.

I glanced up as Mathew walked out of the hall way. His eyes landed on me and he sighed running his hands through his hair. There seemed to be a grave look all around. "Well, well..." I knew the voice instantly. My heart began to race and its rapid thrumming made it feel as though it would explode. A twisting in my stomach made the urge to get sick push through. "When I'd heard that there was going to be a new addition to our dorm, I never dreamed that it would be such a fragile creature." Alexander sauntered forward proudly.

My heart fell into my stomach as my breath got caught in my throat. The room began to sway and the floor started to rush me. Before I realized anything had happened, everything was black.