Status: This story is being OVERHAULED!

The Demon and the Human Prophecy

003: The Jacket

•† Rage's POV †•

My shoulder writhed with pain with the collision on the hard, uneven paved ground. A whimper...from Aiurea no doubt... "Rage...?" Her voice quivered and cracked. Even through the rain she smelled of open wounds. I forced myself onto my back as she began to crawl over to me.

Not now... Don't get soft now... I pushed her away, "Leave." My order was almost strangled so the cracking was evident. It was also much harsher than it was intended to be, but she must know the importance of getting away from this safely. It barely entered my line of sight giving me little time to react, but I still rolled out of the way of the boot that slammed on the ground.

I was very meticulously careful as I rolled into a position above Aiurea. My body shook. That was a lot of strain for such a miniscule task. I wasn't used to so much...pain...

I did my best to disguise the shaking of my limbs but it did no good. Now I stared into Aiurea's teary chocolate eyes. She bit down on her lip as she gazed up at me. Now that the cold rain dripped against my back, I could smell the open cuts on her arms, elbows, and knees. Before I could stop it, my jaw clenched and I couldn't loosen it. I could feel his glare on my back, cutting through the chilling rain. "Prepare to move with me." The only soft thing that had left my mouth was my gruff whisper. The rain almost drown it out, but she heard me.

I glanced around for a fraction of a second to survey my surroundings. There was a tree line several feet away. If I could just get there, it would be easy to fend off my brother's attacks. I just had to get us both there...

She let out a soft nod, wiped her eyes, and wrapped her shaky arms around my neck. It took one swift, pain filled motion to press her body to mine, dodge my brothers swing, and stumble into the cover of the nearby treeline. I could feel my shirt begin to stick to hers as we stumbled into a tree.

I sucked in ragged breaths as my world spun out of focus. I kept most of my weight off of her, but I couldn't help leaning into her now. My knees felt weak, but I could not afford this now. I could not be weak...

Her eyes seemed to probe my face and worry was present in her eyes. She released a quivering exhale as her eyes dropped lower, then even her knees weakened. I looked down at Aiurea's white blouse now stained crimson. That must be what she'd seen... Damn it...

I was supposed to be protecting her. I might as well be handing her over to him... No.... I couldn't think like that, not now. Pain.

A spasm jolted through my wound making my head pound as I doubled over, nearly Aiurea's height now. "Rage!?" Her soft, almost melodic, yet still cracked voice squeaked. It felt almost as good as the numbing rain dripping onto my back. The water seeped into my hair, cooling my feverish face and scalp.

There was a slight and brief motion beneath me. Aiurea twirled around me, on her toes no doubt, gracefully. I was instantly mesmerized by the mouthwatering aroma that now brushed against my face and ravaged my senses. I didn't snap out of it until that once flowing aroma was poisoned and diluted with the toxic scent of her blood. Every muscle in my body tensed as I whipped my head around to look at her.

Even the look on my brother's face was hard to believe. He was shocked, his eyes wide with alarm. I couldn't even sense him approaching... But why... Then that intoxicating smell clouded my brain, destroying any lucid thought. My eyes were then on Aiurea, whose trembling form stood in front of me. Then it connected. "No!" My call meant nothing... It was already too late.

My brother yanked his hand back, his fingers drenched in her blood. She doubled over, releasing a muffled scream. I couldn't stop the growl that erupted from my mouth, "Gage, you bastard!" The crimson that had once stained my vision invaded again.

My brother cursed under his breath, "She's of no use to me now." My vision was now blurred with hatred and rage. That bastard!!! The only thing that kept me in place was Aiurea's petite form stumbling backwards. Without thinking, my hands reached out for her, cupping under her arms to brace her as she slumped back into me.

My brother was now gone, his figure had disappeared into the rain and his scent had been diluted. I pulled Aiurea back so that I could look at her face. She stared back at me blankly, "Aiurea..." I spoke softly so that I wouldn't hurt her. There was a flash of recognition in her eyes, so I tried again. "Aiurea..." This time, not even the rain that beat down on her face phased her now.

I had to save her... One swift movement and she was in my arms... I ignored the newly found throbbing in my forehead and the strain behind my eyes. That couldn't deterr me... Not now... Not when she needed me most... She was still tense in my arns, but it didn't take long for her to fall limp in my arms. Now, I ran...

By the time I reached the main road headed toward the hospital, She and I were soaked to the core. I stared up the road, only another half mile... I thought to myself.

This is rediculous... The darkness within me growled. I shook my head trying to clear him out, I didn't need him ragging on me about being tired and in pain. Pain... It's nothing... No it isn't. Then you'd better make it nothing if you want her to survive...

I let out a low growl as I hurried along the road. My quick pace allowed me to reach the hospital within five minutes, and she was still bleeding profusely. I panicked, shoving my way into the Emergency Room. All of the nurses' faces were bewildered as they took in the sight of us. All of them stared until one go the sense to approach.

That's when I saw it.... What made them hesitate... I was dripping wet, holding a bleeding girl in my arms, covered her blood and mine... The rage-filled look in my eye was obvious.

"She's losing a lot of blood!" A woman called out. She was torn from my arms. No!!! My head was pounding, so I couldn't move, I couldn't do anything but run. I staggered to the door, my world disoriented and spinning. The flourescent lights were dimming as a hand was placed on my shoulder.

"Sir, you need medical attention!" It was a shrill female whose scent smelled as repulsive as every other human in the room. I yanked away from her and stole out the door. Then there it was... Darkness again...

I don't remember where I went that night... All I remember is waking up in a car and then again on a couch... And then, nothing again...

I didn't know how long I'd been out, but when I came to, I recognised the scents swirling in the air around me. There was one in particular that I remembered from that rainy day. It was Slash... And...Aiurea? No. Younger... Her brother? Must be... They always shared a semi-similar scent... Hers just carried a potency that his did not...

What day is it... My eyes focused on the off white ceiling above me. Then a face came into my vision... It was definitely Oro. His shaggy brown-black hair hung in his face and his chocolate eyes were quizzical.

"Oh. You're up!" He seemed rather neutral, "I was starting to worry, with Aiurea not coming home and all... Then the hospital calling... Then Slash drags you in soaked and bleeding..." He sighs, "Long story short, you ended up here...." I slowly sat up and rubbed my temples, which pounded. They were eons better than they had been. I'm only stiff, no real pain...

Then the kid tilted his head curiously, "How'd you heal so fast?"

"What?" My word was slightly fuddled, so I shook my head to clear it.

"Your stomach-" He motioned to the tear in my shirt, "How'd it heal so fast?"

"I dunno kid..." I muttered massaging the bridge of my nose.

"Well... I was going to go see Aiurea, wanna come?" Oro strode across the room and grabbed a bundle of keys. "Slash, you ready!?"

Slash... I should have guessed. I wasn't really paying much attention to the child's ramblings, but I guess he brought me here. His last question didn't seem very odd, but now that I look back at it, it seems off. Aiurea mustn't have told her younger brother of my origins. Maybe she thought it would scare him... A short lived smile crossed my face as I stood.

Human sentiments should mean nothing to you... The darkness grumbled irritably. I tried to shake his voice out of my head, but it still lingered. You obviously haven't realized that I am not going anywhere. You can't run from me, Rage.

I just grit my teeth and ignored him. I couldn't allow him to bother me...

Out of the corner of my eye, Slash trudged into the room. "Oh. You're awake." His tone was slightly somber. I could see the slightly irritated and uneasy look playing on his face as he stalked forward. "I take it you're coming with." It wasn't a question, merely a statement. I nodded, "Alright, then let's go. I haven't heard anything since last night, so I don't know what condition she's in." His eyes lowered for a fraction of a second before meeting mine again.

I knew what he looked at. I looked down at my torso, which I hadn't bothered to examine. The four puncture wounds that were once gushing blood, were four soft pink, splotchy cricles. They were barely visible beneath my ratty blood stained shirt. I sighed. I wouldn't be able to see Aiurea in this. It might bother her. If she was even awake...

Something black flew at me from across the room. Instinctively, my hand flew up to catch it. As I examined it, I realized that it was a jacket that I had allowed Aiurea to use several months ago. I didn't bother to ask for it back becuase I'd never really had a use for it. It was merely a convienience on a cold day, which allowed me to grow closer to her.

I guess the plain, black zip-up jacket was just as much of a convienience now. I quickly slipped it on and zipped it up before following Slash to a sleek silver car. Slash drove, I sat in the passenger seat, and Oro sat in the back. I'd never really gotten to know her younger brother. There was never a need for it, but for times like these would be a good thing.

By the time we had reached the hospital, the atmosphere in the car had become tense. No one uttered a word or made a sound the entire drive. A layer of unease had settled, and I was more than willing to enter the fresh air. The air was still humid and the ground still wet from last nights rain, making a sloshing sound as we ambled to the entrance.

Slash spoke to a receptionist and she pointed the way. He nodded and I trailed along after them, my hands jammed in my pockets. We traversed a hall or two until we found the room number we were given. Slash knocked on the door.

"It's open..." A muffled female voice drifted through the pale, fake wooden door.

Slash pushed it open allowing that potent aroma to hit me like a brick wall, "Hey, Aiue." He muttered meekly.

"It's about time..." She grumbled, glowering at him. Her face was a tad paler and she sported light rings under her eyes. It must have been a rather sleepless night. "I was wondering when you guys would save me from this hell hole."

Oro strut in arrogantly, "What? Not a good night, sis?" I rolled my eyes as she glowered at him skeptically.

"You try waking up with an i.v. in your arm and stitches in your stomach, not knowing how you got there." She grumbled spitefully. Her normally soft features were rigid and stiff. Her dainty form was shifted almost awkwardly in the same rigid way. Her night couldn't have been pleasant.

"Stitches! Cool!" Oro ran over to the side of the bed, "I wanna see!" I rolled my eyes. Humans and their odd fascinations... Aiurea rolled her eyes and lifted her shirt slightly. I couldn't help the warming of my cheeks as I adverted my eyes.

It was only a glance, but I could remember every single one of the tiny, perfect stitches. Each puncture wound had eight perfectly uniform, brown colored stitches that marked where my brother had wrenched his claws into her fragile skin. There were four long white strips that extended from them. Those had to be gashes... My stomach churned angrily.

She wouldn't have need those stitches if I had been a man and taken the attack properly...

"Whoa." Oro gasped, gaping at his sisters stomach.

"What's the dammage." I looked up as he said this, hoping that Aiurea had replaced her shirt in the proper down position. Aiurea looked up at Slash, an exasperated mask covering her normally content one.

"Well apparently I was extremely close to needing a blood transfusion." She sighed. "The nurse says they got me to stop bleeding just before it would've reached that point... Then they stuck a freaking i.v. in my arm and drugged me so that I wouldn't fight..."

There were small white bandages on her elbows and arms. I don't doubt that they were on her knees as well.

Then a scent entered the room. It wasn't one I recognised but it was female. She walked by me slowly, allowing me a better look at her. She was higher in age, early forties maybe. Her dishwater blonde hair was pulled back in a messy bun. She examine a clip board with milky blue eyes before looking up Aiurea.

"How're you doing today, sweetie?" Her voice was soft and pleasant.

"Can I go home now?" Aiurea's question was grumpy with a bit of whine to it. I fought back the laugh that threated to escape my mouth. "It's not funny." Her childish glower now turned on me for the first time. Her glower softened as her eyes dropped for a fraction of a second. I knew what she was looking for...

The smile that warmed be slightly dropped from my face as I looked into her eyes. A yearning within me began to bubble over. A yearning to stride across the room and hold her... To apologize for the injuries that were my fault to begin with... But I knew that I had to stifle it. Not here... Not now... Not with so many witnesses to my weakness...

"If you've got a change of clothes you can leave now, and I'll check you out." She woman's bright red lips spread into a white smile.

Slash tossed something onto her lap, that I'd never even noticed him carrying. A grey drawstring bag plopped onto her lap. She pulled it open and relief softened her features. "You are a life saver!" She sighed, putting emphasis on each word. She pulled out a dark colored tee and dark sweat pants.

"It's settled then." The woman said, "Why don't you stand outside the door while she dresses boys?" I was the first one out. Once they were out the door closed behind them, guarding her sweet purfume. Five minutes later the door opened and the woman walked out. Aiurea stepped out now wearing a form fitting, navy blue tee and black thigh hugging sweat pants. Her scent flowed against my face.

Uninvited warmth spread across my face as I examined her clothing. Why did she have to own form fitting clothing! Why couldn't she wear.... I don't know, less appealing things!? I quickly looked away, hoping she hadn't seen my blush. We hobbled after the nurse at a rather slow pace. I had to remind myself several times when I'd begin to get frustrated that it was for her.

We walked the halls and to the front desk so that she could be checked out. Once that was done, we exited the lounge and walked to Slash's car. I practically panicked several times because she would stumble or almost trip and catch herself at the last minute. She would only laugh, and I would get frustrated.

She must still be loopy from sleep deprivation and the calming drugs, I told myself everytime the frustration would set in.

I helped her into the backseat of the glossy silver car. Her tiny hand was slightly cool when she placed it in mine to steady herself. I didn't want to let it go as she pulled away, but I had to. I forced myself into the passenger seat.

After a few minutes of driving, Oro made a distainfull sound. I glanced back to see her leaning her head on his shoulder, fast asleep. How I longed for that to be me... To feel the satiny purfume of her hair against my cheek... He didn't know how lucky he was.

It took a short ten minutes to arrive back at Aiurea's house. I was the one that ended up gingerly sliding her out of the car and carrying her through the front door. When we'd entered, a sight I wasn't expecting was in the middle of the living room.

The tall, thirty or so aged woman stood in the middle of the living room. Her wavy mahogany hair hung to her shoulders, and her chocolate eyes were tight. This woman... She must have been Aiurea's creator. Aiurea possessed all of her likeness, so it was easy to figure out where she inherited her beauty.

This woman was like Oro. She shared a similar scent with Aiurea, but did not share her potency.

"Mom," The shock in Oro's voice meant that he didn't know that she had arrived, "You're home early-" There wasn't even a breath in between his words and hers.

"Why wasn't I told the second your sister was admitted into the hospital." Her voice was a pleasant purr, but it held the intimidating ring that my own mother's seemed to hold.

"We didn't think it was necessary-" No pause once again.

"You didn't think it was necessary for you to tell me that your sister was in the hospital?" It wasn't really a question. My mother worded things the same way. I guess all mothers do... It was a chance for him to revise his previous statement. Rhetorical in a way... Yet scarily intimidating...

"We didn't get the chance to Aunt Aia." Slash stated calmly. Her sharp gaze flickered to Slash and then landed on me.

"You must be Rage." Her lips pursed slightly, "I was hoping to meet you under much more pleasant circumstances, but I guess now is as good a time as any."

There was one sentence that ran through my mind at that moment. She told her mother about me? The the flood of questions... What did she tell her? Was it bad? Good? What did her mother think about me?

You're thoughts make you sound like a nervous girl, idiot. He grumbled. Why don't you grow a pair and ask her the questions yourself.

"Just place her on her bed." She ordered pointing to the first door on the left of the hallway. I nodded and nudged open the door.

Her room hit me even more like a brick wall than the hospital room had. Her compelling essence drenched everything in the room. I had to do my best to shake it off. Even the darkness within me grew disoriented as he attempted to make a snarky comment. I just grit my teeth and trudged over to her bed and gingerly placed her on it.

I stole out of her room as quickly as I possibly could and gently shut the door behind me. I gasped in lung fulls of air as my heart accelerated. I put on my composed mask before I entered the living room, where her mother still stood.

We talked off and on for the rest of the day. By the end of it, I'd decided to go home. It wasn't until I was away from her that I realized that I was still wearing the plain, black zip-up jacket. The scent of her skin still lingered on it. A smile spread across my face as I inhaled the mouthwatering aroma.

Maybe having fallen for such a human isn't such a bad thing. I wore a slight smile that slowly began to fade as I sauntered down the street. I was about to enter the world in which I came from. The demon realm... It was an entirely different world uncommonly traversed by humans. A dark world... A dark world unfit for Aiurea to ever enter... She couldn't enter it... Never.

This is how I'd always reminded myself that we could never be together. She couldn't mingle in mine as I could hers. It was much too dangerous for her in her own, yet alone mine. Mine in which bloodsuckers, unnaturally dark creatures, and freaks from the pits of hell lurked... Not mine...

I allowed my face to harden as I weaved between trees, down the all too familiar path. I reached it in little time. A large swirling vortex of black and purple... A rift of sorts... A world of unnatural night and darkness... The world in which I belong, and the world in which Aiurea could never belong. My world...