Status: This story is being OVERHAULED!

The Demon and the Human Prophecy

004: Hard As Stone

•† Aiurea's POV †•

It had been three days since my night in the hospital. My mother was less than happy about not being notified, and it amplified when I couldn't give her an explanation about my wounds. I couldn't really tell her that Rage and I were attacked by his demonic older brother, could I? Nor could I explain my reoccurring nightmares that had been haunting my dreams.

For the past three days, I've also been very restricted. I could only leave the house if I told my mother exactly when and where I was going. And even then, the destination couldn't be anything more than a ten minute drive away. The restrictions irritated me to no end, but I knew that I would just have to grin and barret. And I did...

I forced my self erect in my bed, ignoring the protesting of my stitches. My brows knit together as I glanced around my room, pondering what I should do today. I didn't want to stay home under the scrutinizing eyes of my mother. That would only be awkward for the both of us... I wanted to go out and enjoy the nice weather that emmitted that sunshine through my window. But would she let me? Only one way to know...

I gently pushed my slegs over the side of my bed and stood on my feet. After dressing, making my bed and brushing my hair almost robotically, I slumped to the door and twisted the door knob. Soft laser sounds bounced down the hall, announcing that my brother was more than awake. I pushed my door closed and shuffled out of the hallway. She heard me almost instantly.

"Good morning, Aiurea." She sang out. My mother...singing? She only did this when she was in an extremely good mood. Which isn't completely natural for her...

"Morning, mom." I mumbled. I turned the corner into the kitchen. She sat at our carved oak dinner table doing a crossword puzzel. Her face was content, which hadn't been since she had been back. I don't think her sleepless nights of holding me while I slept contributed to a very good mood.

"Sleep well?" I looked at her face to see if she was serious, but I could see the slight joke in her eyes. Despite that, I couldn't help the spiteful retort that escaped my lips.

"Totally." I instantly regretted it, but my regret hand begun to relent when she let out a chiming laugh.

"I see that you're in a good mood today." I raised an eyebrow. Who was this woman, and what did she do with my strict, overbearing mother that I'd been living with for the past three days?

"Sorry..." I muttered softly, slumping over to the fridge. I grabbed a cup from the cabnet and poured myself a glass of milk before taking the seat across from my mother.

She wore her soft mahogany waves up in a pony tail today, as well as a spring colored blouse and a nice, dark pair of jeans. Her posture was much more relaxed and not nearly as rigid as it had been these past several days. There was a soft upward curve of her rosy lips that lightened up her contented face.

"I was thinking about these past several days," She started carefully as I took a sip of my milk. She glanced up at me under her lashes before seemingly focusing on the puzzel. I took another mouthfull of milk as she began to speak again, "I think I've been a little too–strict." Her chocolate eyes were now on me. I had to force myself to swallow the milk that blocked my throat. Was she serious!? "When I got a call from the hospital just as I was almost done with a mission, I overreacted. And for that, I apologize. I shouldn't have punished you, when I'm sure it wasn't your fault that you needed stitches."

She didn't know how wrong that statement was. It was my fault, and I'm the one that flung myself into Rage's brother's attack. But I accepted the apology. I didn't think that telling her that that last statement was wrong would help my case. "It's alright." I muttered back, "You were worried, and it's your job to worry." I shrugged, trying to accent that it was water under the bridge.

"Well, I just wanted to let you know that you are no longer under the restrictions." My face lit up and I was about to cheer when she stopped me, "I do have one stipulation though." She interrupted, holding up her index finger. "Next time, I am to be called if something like that happens again. Mid-mission or not..." Her face was a content mask but her eyes were as solid as chocolate stone.

I sighed. Next time, I would have the hospital not call her, but she didn't need to know that. So I allowed it... "Yes ma'am." I murmured.

"I take it you're going to go see Rage today?" Actually I didn't know what I was going to do, but I guess seeing Rage was as good as it was going to get. Besides, I haven't talked to him in three days.

"Yeah, I guess..." I muttered, "Is that okay?" My question was hesitant, but it would have slipped out anyway. Habbit I guess...

My mother chuckled and nodded, "That's fine, sweetheart." I smiled, something I hadn't done in a while, so the warmth that spread over my face was unexpected. "There you go." She sighs contently, "You are so much more beautiful when you smile."

I rolled my eyes before walking over and kissing her cheek. "I'll be back later." I strolled across the living room, ruffled my brother's hair, and stepped out the door after slipping on a pair of black flats.

When I closed the door, I stopped. It wasn't until then that I realized that I had no clue where Rage was. Maybe he'd be in the park... It was a fifteen minute walk, but I could use the fresh air and time to clear my head. So I walked down the street, traversing several roads until I reached a parking lot with an off trail. The giant wooden sign was at least ten feet tall and made out of a generic wooden substance. It was the entrance to the city's park.

The trail only took a minute or two to walk down, and then it opened up to an all natural play ground, with a field that slowly eased into a thick wodded area. There are several decent trees in the front of the park, where the picnic tables resided. The better ones were in the back field, but Rage's regular tree was in the front.

His lanky form would lean against the trunk as he would listen to a guitar wailing in his ears. I glanced around, spotting his regular tree. I was expecting his regular rigid standing posture, but that wasn't the sight I'd recieved.

He sat at the base of the trunk—earbuds surprisingly absent—with a book in his hands. His face mirrored my mother's in content. I was taken aback by the softness of his normally very stern features. The calm on his face almost made him seem vulnerable in some ways. I approached him slowly, not wanting to bring on the gruff shift in his features that I often brought on.

I was at least seven or eight feet away from him when he spoke, "Hello, Aiurea." His normally coarse or condescending purr was velvety and almost tender. His onyx eyes drifted up to mine slowly. I guess the look on my face was amusing becuase he chuckled.

A warmth fluttered through my heart as I watched his handsome features brighten as a soft smile danced across his lips. It wasn't his regular bitter smirk, it was genuine. Butterflies tickled my stomach as he motioned for me to walk forward. When I was only a foot away, he reached out, grabbed my hand, and pulled me to the ground next to him.

My cheeks heated as my legs and arms brushed against his. He placed the book on the ground next to him and turned to me. His fingers brushed against my face, brushing my thick bangs out of my eyes. "How are you feeling this morning?" He asked softly.

"I'm alright." I muttered, a smile flickering across my lips.

Rage looks down at the ground as though he were debating something. I tilted my head curiously, wondering what his mind was battling with. "Aiurea."

I jumped, "Yes?"

His dark eyes held mine again, "Would you like to meet my mother?" This question shocked me almost beyond words. His mother?

"Your mother?" He nodded, his eyes onyx stone and dripping with seriousness. "I-I..." I didn't know what to say. I was flattered that he wanted to introduce me to his mother, but I was also extremely intimidated.

"You don't have to," He said adverting his eyes. His tone was almost dejected, "It was just-" I cut him off before he spoke again.

"No." I daringly placed my fingers against his lips to keep him from continuing. I smiled softly, "I would love to meet your mother." The shock in his eyes at my actions quickly faded and turned into a triumphant glaze.

He gingerly pulled my hand away from his face and smiled, "Follow me." His smile slowly faded as he turned from me. He still held my hand as he lead me from the park, down the trail, along roads, and then down my long narrow street. I was about the ask what we were doing on this street when he stopped me saying, "You'll see."

I live on the outskirts of town, so my street touches the sort of gloomy, yet still serene, forests that surround this small city. I'd never been allowed into the forests at the end of our road, even though there were times that I could hear something calling me from inside them. It would be odd to actually enter the thick wooded area that hadn't been allowed in as a child. That seemed to be where we were approaching, but I still hesitated at the tree line.

He looked back at me, I guess puzzled by my hesitation. "What is it?" Worry layered his tone, but I'm sure it was because he thought that I'd had nerves about meeting his mother. While that was true, it wasn't the cause of my incertainty.

"I've just—" I swallowed the lump forming in my throat, "never been in these woods. I was never allowed."

The relief on his face was immediate as it spread across his features. His eyes tightened as he spoke again, "And rightly so." This comment took me off guard. What was he talking about? "If you're too afraid to enter these forests, then I wouldn't blame you if you turned back now." His voice darked as he spoke, slightly unnerving me.

This also irritated so I pulled my hand away, parting my lips to order him to move on. His hand snapped back to mine again, making the words in my mind begin to fumble. "Never let go of my hand." His voice darkened and his eyes solidified into the eyes I was used to. There was something in his tone that frightened me. I didn't know what it was, but there was a dark undercurrent that sent a jolt of fear down my spine.

He must have realized this because his features softened, and he intertwined our fingers. "Not in there." He amended softly. He pulled me along beside him as we ventured further and further from the saftey of my narrow neighborhood. I did as he'd said. I kept my hand intertwined with his and didn't let go. Not even for a mere second...

We walked, well he walked and I stumbled gracefully, for another five minutes before we reached a small clearing. Within that clearing was a large black and purple swirling vortex-like structure. The edges were tattered giving it the look of a torn rift in reality. He peered back at me carefully, surveying my reaction most likely.

I was a little overwhelmed. It wasn't very large, maybe six or even feet tall, three feet across, but a dark feeling began to bubble in my stomach making it churn. There was definitely something off about this dark, unnatural break in space. Just the look of it made my skin crawl. It unnerved me more than anything that had happened in the past three days.

"Do you still want to meet her?" His question was dark, blunt with no amusement.

"Y-Yes...?" Worry overpowered certainty causing my words seem more like a question than a statement.

His eyes were then skeptical, "You don't seem very sure of yourself."

"Is this..." I trailed off. This must be the dark world that Rage had revealed that he was from. Beyond this rift...

"The demonic plain? Yes." He answered bluntly. His lips then turned upward into the bitter smirk that I'd grown used to, "Scared? We could always turn back now."

I couldn't help the returning glare that I gave him, "It's not that." I grumbled, "It's just..."

"It's just what?" His voice was full of dark amusement as he turned toward me. "Is it just the nervousness of meeting my mother, or is it something more?" I parted my lips to speak but nothing came out. "No. That's not it." His words were bitter and amused, "You're afraid of the darkness..." I opened my mouth in an attempt to speak again. Not even a sound... I dropped my eyes from his cold stare and attempted to step back. It made me feel uncomfortable when he was like this.

He only stepped with me and lifted my face up to meet his, "What? Does the thought of entering a world of unnatural darkness bother you?" His words were dry and caustic. I bit my lip, trying to stay in control of my now weak knees. "Nothing to say? I thought you weren't afraid?"

"I-I'm not but-" I couldn't finish my sentence and he knew it.

"But what?" His voice was now his normal growling purr. His grip tightened on my hand causing my heart to stutter. "Are you afraid of what lurks through the gates of hell? The murderous, lust-filled creatures of darkness that wouldn't hesitate to rip the life from a frail creature like you..." My heart stuttered and began to speed as I stared up into his entrancing, onyx eyes. For the first time, he was scaring me.

My weak knees and hands began to tremble as I parted my lips to speak. Words couldn't be formed. "What, can't speak?" He leaned in closer, catching my breath in my throat. My stomach flipped nervously, and my heartrate sped. I could feel my heart drumming against my chest, and from the sound of it, I was worried that it would burst out of it. I swallowed the new lump forming in my throat and attempted to speak again.

"R-Rage-"

"What?" It wasn't bitter. It was almost seductive in a way... My stomach flipped again as my mind jumbled.

"I-I..." A dark smirk spread across his face at my inarticulation. "Y-you're scaring me..." The whisper slipped between my lips before I could stop it. His eyes hardened, and a triumphantly bitter smirk curled his lips upward.

"Good." His voice was much softer now. He brushed some of my hair out of my face before speaking again, "Do you still want to meet my mother?" I shakily nodded, "You don't seem very sure of yourself."

"N-no I'm fine." My voice quivered, so I let out a shaky sigh and just nodded.

He didn't move, "I'm sorry that I scared you, but you do need to realize that you will be in danger once you step foot into that rift." I nodded. He didn't question it any further. He just nodded and led me forward. "Don't release my hand, keep your eyes forward and your head high." He ordered softly. "Try to calm your heartbeat as well. You don't want anyone to think you are weak." I nodded taking a deep breath.

He stepped in first, and I followed his lead. The ground inside the portal seemed light, airy almost like we were walking on nothing. Shades and tints of purple, grey, and black swirled around us as we walked forward. The air was thick with an eerie tinge. After about a minute or so, the ground began to harden, shifting to what must've been pavement. I didn't look down to confirm it, becuase Rage told me not to.

As we continued into the world, seemingly devoid of sunlight, I was surprised by how modern it seemed. I can honestly say that I wasn't expecting them to be in some sort of modern era. No wonder Rage could fit into everyday life in my world. This would definitely explain it.

I didn't gawk. I focused on trying to keep a straight face and ignoring the eyes boring into my back, side, and all around me. I tried to keep my nevousness of the heads snapping in my direction off of my face, but I was sure that it was there. Intimidation rang through me, but I tried to keep my focus away from my weak knees.

I knew Rage would never hurt me, but the same couldn't be said about his brother or any of the others with in this world of twilight. That didn't seem to just trigger the intimidation. It took me a moment to realize that I was here to meet his mother, who was a no doubt a demon herself. Would she hurt me? No... That didn't sound like a mother at all. But a demon mother... No...

I shook the thoughts from my head, before I realized that Rage and I had stopped. He was now looking down at me, and we were standing in front of a deeply shaded mahogany door. This must be where he lives. Where he lives... Which means his mother must be inside... His mother... My heart stuttered.

"Are you ready?" His soft words drifted down to me. I nodded. He placed his hand on the door handle and pushed the door open. We stepped in and the sight that immediately reached me was a long hall at the end of which was dark mahogany frame. There was a stove directly in sight of the wooden door frame. And in front of that stove, stood a tall, thin woman. Her long ebony hair flowed to the middle of her back. She wore what seemed to be a simple summer dress and an apron.

As she spun around, her hair flowed through the air. She was even more beautiful. Her thin, heart-shaped face was framed by her thick ebony locks. Her onyx eyes framed with thick, lucious lashes eyed us cautiously. She looked just as human as Rage and his brother did, yet still inhumanly gorgeous. Her long, elegant fingers removed the apron and placed it somewhere out of sight.

"Rage," Her soft melodic hum began, "Who is this?" Her eyes focused on something between us. My eyes followed hers down, and they landed on our intertwined fingers. I began to slip my hand out of his, but he only gripped it tighter. "You know your father will be complaining about the reek of a human in the house. Especially one with the magnitude of hers..."

"This isn't just any human." Rage stated boldly. Her eyes moved away from our hands and moved to my eyes. I resisted the urge to cower away under his mother's intense stare.

Recognition seemed to flutter through her eyes because she said my name, "Aiurea?"

My retort slipped from my mouth before I could stop it. "Yes?" I bit my lip as my cheeks warmed.

A warm smile spread across her face, " So you're the imfamous Aiurea, I was wondering when I'd get the chance to meet you." She continued to walk forward, stopping a few feet away from us.

"Mom..." Rage groaned. I let out a giggle. I never thought that I would hear the word 'mom' leave Rage's lips. It was so informal, and It wasn't what I'd imagine him calling his mother.

"Don't sass me boy," She scorned, "Don't expect me not to be curious after you've spoken so highly of her." I bit my lip to muffle the snickering. It was then that I realized, she and my mother were a lot alike. Both were stern and motherly, yet they were still soft and compassionate. A demon... Soft and compassionate...? Never thought those words could come in the same sentence.

"Anyways-" Rage grumbled forcefully, "You do remember what I told you right?" His mother's eyes were then linked to his. She nodded and took in a deep breath. She then sniffed the air lightly.

"Why do I smell a wound?" She looked down at me cautiously.

"Gage-" He didn't seem to be finished when she cut him off.

"Gageis... As in your brother?" Her words were a distainful snarl, "Follow me." She turned on her heel and proceded to storm down the hall. And just like my mother, she was frightening as hell when she was angry. Rage towed me along after him. "I am going to have a few words with your brother."

"And you really believe that will stop him?" Rage grumbled caustically. She didn't answer him.

By the time I'd gotten the urge to look around, we were already down a flight of stairs and stalking down a dark, torch lit cavern. I had already been through the entire house and didn't have the sense to look around.

Then I heard it. A dark, female voice calling out to me. My heart stuttered and lurched as my weak legs barely allowed me to stumble forward. Rage's onyx eyes were fixated on me as my hand began to tremble. The voice faded, but a dark presence was strong.

When we finally reached the end of the long, cavernous hallway, there was a small room at the end. When I entered the room, the torches around the room lit instantly. Even Rage's mother jumped, but she calmed within an instant.

There were many small trinkets and artifacts that littered the shelves surrounding the tiny cavern, but I was only drawn to one. That dark female voice spoke to me softly once again. Her words were hazy and inarticulate, so I couldn't understand her language. The peice that had drawn me in, was a broken piece of stone with odd characters scrawled across it.

I didn't notice my drifting forward until Rage pulled me back to him. "S-Sorry I muttered." The lighting of the torches flickered and the female voice let out a shrill cry. I wrenched my hand out of Rage's and covered my ears, dropping to my knees.

That didn't stop it. The shrill cry was only snuffed out by a dark laughing that made my heart beat roar and pound in my chest. Who is she!?