Sequel: Mission: Delivery!
Status: I'm fixing this one chapter at a time. It was really bad. I re-read it, and I was embarrassed. Hopefully what the chapters get replaced with will be better.

Enter: Riyame Uchiha

002: Big Brother

“Alright, everyone freshen up. I want you to meet me on the training field in thirty minutes,” Kakashi-sensei instructed once we stepped through the village gates.

Eager to be alone to organize my thoughts, I ambled back to my apartment. The confusing emotions I’d been fighting for nearly two days began to reach its point, and my eyes stung. When I reached my door, it was a grateful reprieve. I’d barely gotten my door closed before my legs turned to jelly. I managed to slump toward the bathroom, and I shut myself in, silencing the outside world. Just for a few minutes, I escaped inside of myself and cried. The sobs were painful, straining my body until it shook. I hugged my knees to my chest and hid my face.

I sat there like that for several minutes as I wallowed in my self-pity. The crying jag passed as quickly as it came, allowing me to start sorting through the overwhelming cloud that smothered rational thought.

I knew I would drive myself insane if I didn’t find some way out. I wasn’t the type that handled rejection well, so speaking to Sasuke alone was out of the question. The abuse I could take. Heiogi and Leon were worse. They went out of their way to let me know I wasn’t wanted or needed. Heiogi did at least…Leon just…my feelings on him were mixed.

As much as Sasuke’s words stung, I didn’t know if I could return to team sixteen. Not after making the closest thing to friends I’ve ever had on team seven. Kakashi-sensei was…amazing. He was supportive, and he did nothing but remind me that I was a member of the team. Having zero confidence around him was next to impossible, even for me.

Then there were my extremely confusing feelings where Naruto was concerned. He was like a ray of sunshine. Confident. Outgoing. Not to mention kind. Not that he couldn’t be a bit of dull sometimes, but that gave him a weird charm. It was hard not to like him. There was a sort of happiness that radiated out of him, even when he was in a sour mood—which was often when he was around Sasuke.

Being around him gave me butterflies in my stomach, and my heart would feel lighter. Smiling wasn’t such a chore, especially when he was. That goofy grin of his got me every time. He was a little too hyper for his own good sometimes, but his heart was in the right place. I had never been around someone who made me feel like this before. It was an entirely new feeling, and I didn’t want it to end. Maybe if I focused on that, being around Sasuke wouldn’t be so bad.

Now that my head was clear, I moved my stiff body. I was emotionally drained, but that wasn’t a good enough reason to keep lagging around. I needed to get moving if I was going to erase any traces of crying. I used the sink as leverage to pull myself to my feet.

My reflection was ghostly, and my frown didn’t exactly help. I ran some water, splashed a little on my face, and scrubbed away the evidence. The chances were slim that it would help, but it was better than nothing. I glanced up at the mirror, and I was right. Why did I have to get cursed with pale skin? I always looked sick.

I changed into fresh clothes and did everything I could think of to appear presentable. Maybe if I didn’t look like a mess, no one would realize that I really was.

I took the trek to the training field at a leisurely pace. I wasn’t exactly in a rush to embarrass myself—which was bound to happen sooner or later. Maybe I’d be lucky and get most of the embarrassment out of the way quickly.

As I approached the fields, my stomach wound itself back into knots. I could sense the presence of a lone figure in the distance, and there were very few people my body reacted to so violently. By the time he was in my sight, every muscle in my back was rigid with anticipation. I didn’t bother to announce my presence, and I froze in place when our eyes met.

I contemplated turning around then, but I was cowardly enough without adding that to the list. So, I ignored the building dread and stopped once I was a few meters away. He wasted no time in ignoring me until Naruto and Sakura arrived. Kakashi arrived a short time afterward.

“Good,” He chimed, “You’re all here, and on time.” His punctuality warmed up the area, and some of the tension was soothed.

‘Speak for yourself, sensei,” Naruto grumbled, crossing his arms and pouting childishly. I stifled a smile.

Sensei cut to the chase right away, “Alright, we’re going to do something basic.“ Naruto let out a groan of distaste, “Because Riyame is here with us, I want to start off easy and work our way up.” Naruto still wasn’t having it.

“Boring!” He stamped his foot, “Come on, sensei! I wanna do something hard! Give me a challenge,” He demanded.

“Quiet, Naruto,” He said, “Every decent ninja needs to know how to effectively hide from his or her enemy. I’m going to close my eyes and count to three. I shouldn’t be able to find you without searching every inch of this clearing.” He waved us away, “Go,” and he closed his eye.

For once my nerves were gone, replaced with excitement. My luck couldn’t have been better! Something I was good at right off the bat? I wasn’t going to stop to second guess it, so I ran off in search of the best hiding spot I could find.

“One,” Kakashi-sensei counted.

I managed to find some thick foliage that would be plenty to disguise my small body. It was one of the few advantages of being small. Once I slipped underneath it, I was silently thankful that it covered my entire frame with ease. There was no way I’d be found at first glance.

“Two.”

Sakura and Naruto both scrambled up a pair of trees. Sakura nestled herself in the security of some leafy, stable branches. Naruto’s branch seemed too precarious for anyone with common sense, but he managed to hold still. I found myself hoping that the limb would hold.

“Three.” Kakashi’s eye opened. I held deathly still, barely even breathing. A small amount of panic settled in when I realized I never saw where Sasuke went. Maybe it was better that way. He was less likely to be found.

“Very good,” Sensei praised, “I think that was the fastest any of you have ever managed to disappear.”

Right away Naruto’s branch began to quiver, and his footing was less than sure. Kakashi was quick on the draw, and his eye found him. The limb crunched beneath the blond’s weight and sent him flailing to the ground. Luckily he rolled to avoid an overly rough landing, but he laid at the base of the tree groaning.

A kunai stuck into the ground next to him, “You’re dead.” His voice was completely calm, “Were this a real mission, Naruto would have been killed on the spot. Thank you, you were the perfect demonstration of what not to do.” Sensei was plenty serious, but there was no cruelty in his voice. In fact, Naruto actually let out an airy chuckle.

“My bad,” He said. I fought back the smile that tugged at the corners of my mouth. I had barely noticed a few leaves quiver near Sakura before a kunai pierced the limb where she sat.

“Laughing at a teammate will get you killed. Never give away your position, even if your teammate is compromised. Thank you, Sakura.” I could practically feel Sakura’s embarrassment from here.

Kakashi’s eye was eagle sharp as he scanned the area. He didn’t move from his original spot, and he barely moved his head. I held as still as possible while I glanced around for any sign of Sasuke. When I finally found him, he was several meters away hidden in a thicket. I allowed myself to silently appreciate the irony.

I noticed Kakashi-sensei’s hand twitch, and I knew he had found one of us. I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the announcement.

“Well done, Sasuke.” Wait. What?

My eyes popped open, widening in shock. How did he…there was no way I had beaten Sasuke at something. It was statistically impossible.

“Had I been in any rush or had there not been dead silence, I might not have found you.” Sasuke stepped out of the underbrush with a sour look on his face. “As for you, Riyame, I can honestly say that I can’t find you, so you’ve succeeded at this exercise.” The shock of his praise was nothing compared to the sudden surge of pride that filled me.

“Of course, she’d be good at hiding,” Sasuke grumbled. The comment took me off guard, and it managed to drain the pride and more. “I bet she’s good at being a human shield too.”

That one did more than sting. It brought an ache to my chest, and my eyes burned. He could have punched a hole through me and it might have hurt less. Emotions I had managed to push away earlier swallowed me again, and there was no holding them back this time. A sharp pain pricked my palms as I tried to keep a grip on myself. I barely heard Kakashi scold him.

A human shield…that’s what I was reduced to in a moment of pettiness.

Moving felt alien, and I had to crawl out of the foliage as though I were just learning how to control my own body. How I managed to push myself to my feet, I didn’t know. My hair to acted as a curtain to hide my face from the team.

“Riyame…” I could sense her step closer, keeping her distance like I was a freak.

“Hey, you okay?” Naruto’s voice was the closest, and he was the last one I wanted to see me cry. So I did the only other thing I was good at, I ran. As fast and as hard as I could. I just wanted to escape. To get away from that place…away from the bitter comments…away from Sasuke.

I didn’t even make it back to the village before I was gripping onto a tree for dear life. I clawed at the shirt that covered my heart in a feeble attempt to stop the pain, and I sobbed. I should have known I couldn’t have my moment in the light. I was just a convenient doormat, and it was all I would ever be.

An urgent presence made itself known. My entire body tensed, and a sense of impending danger enveloped me. This presence lingered in my nightmares, and it haunted me for so many years that it had ingrained itself into my memory. I’d never be rid of it, but for it to be so close and so real…I had to be going insane.

“Wh-who’s there,” I choked out, my voice barely a whisper. Not so much as a branch swayed. There was only the sound of my pounding heart and panicked breathing.

Frustration welled up inside of me. I slammed my fist against the tree, and a hand on my shoulder made me jump out of my skin. I whipped around in a panic, and shame hit me like a tidal wave. Kakashi-sensei’s face was nothing short of compassionate, and his presence was oddly comforting.

“I was going to ask if you were okay, but I think I have my answer.” I bit down on my lip to hold in the unwanted emotion.

“Wh-when did he…” I couldn’t finish before a sob tore through my chest.

“I’m sorry for that,” He sighed, “People say stupid things when their pride is wounded.”

“I’m sorry too.” I nearly jumped out of my skin a second time. Sakura gave me an apologetic look, “He’s been like that since I can remember. I don’t know what’s gotten into him lately.” I hung my head in shame.

“You must th-think I’m such a crybaby,” I said between sobs.

“Enough of that,” Kakashi said softly, “You have every right to your hurt feelings.”

“Sasuke…just takes a little getting used to,” Sakura said, “I promise he’s not always like that.”

“He was so different when…” I trailed off and fought off a fresh wave of tears.

“When…?” Sakura gave me a confused look, but I couldn’t bring myself to say it.

“There’s something you should probably know,” Kakashi said, sparing me.

Naruto was too furious to follow Riyame like the others. Instead, he stood glaring at Sasuke, fuming in anger.

“What the heck is wrong with you?” Naruto didn’t wait for an answer before he threw a punch at him. Sasuke easily deflected it, which made him angrier, “Answer me,” He shouted.

“Nothing’s wrong with me, you idiot,” Sasuke growled in return. Naruto was practically seeing red.

“You’re full of crap, and we both know it.” Naruto jabbed a finger in his direction, “Why would you say something like that?”

“What? The truth?” Sasuke crossed his arms, unrepentantly turning away from him. Naruto’s hand stopped his retreat. He wasn’t getting out of this. “Get your hands off me, loser,” He growled.

“You’re the loser,” Naruto shouted, “And you just had to be a sore loser didn’t you? Why couldn’t you accept the fact that someone was better than you at something?”

“I don’t have time for you, dunce,” He barked, yanking away from his reach. Naruto’s nostrils flared as he glared at Sasuke’s retreating form.

The blond let out a growl of pure frustration, “Fine!” He threw his arms into the air, “I’m going to punch something until I don’t want to kill you.” He turned his back on the Uchiha.

“Whatever…” was his great reply.

Man did that jerk tap dance on every one of his nerves. It was bad enough that he treated his own team like crap, but Riyame hadn’t done anything to deserve being treated like dirt. There was a break in Naruto’s anger long enough for him to wonder how she was. Sasuke had to have hurt her feelings really badly for her to run off like that.

After thinking of Riyame, his anger cooled a bit. He was pretty sure she was crying when she ran off too. He decided to follow her, just to check on her, but when he turned around, his path was blocked.

He stumbled backward in shock. His heart began to race as he stared into the face of Itachi Uchiha. Of all people to come face to face with within the walls of the Village, Itachi was the last one he had expected.

“Y-you? There’s no way,” Naruto stuttered, tripping over his feet to put some space between them.

“Don’t make a fuss.” His voice had a soothing quality to it that set Naruto on edge.

“Yeah right!”

“Come quietly and no one gets hurt.” His words held a deadly promise, and Naruto knew he wouldn’t hesitate to act on it.

“Like it’s going to be that easy.” Naruto didn’t his best to sound confident.

“It could be, but that’s your choice.” His face didn’t falter even once, and Naruto’s unease grew heavier.

“So where’s fish face?”

“He did not accompany me. Changing the subject will only delay the inevitable,” Itachi responded cooly.

“Maybe you shouldn’t run your trap next time because he’s not going anywhere with you.” Sasuke’s growl came from behind the other Uchiha. Naruto started, but Itachi must have known he was there.

The older brother cast a lazy look over his shoulder, “Haven’t you learned your lesson, little brother? Don’t meddle in other’s affairs.”

Sasuke stood his ground as he walked around him to stand at Naruto’s side, “I don’t care what you have to say. Today is the day you die.” Those six words sent a chill down Naruto’s spine. He had a feeling that they weren’t getting out of this one.

Sakura’s face was still frozen in shock, “I had no idea there was anyone else.”

I wiped the tears from my face and nodded, “I’m sorry,” I whimpered. I hated that they saw me blubbering like a baby. This wasn’t the impression I wanted to leave them with.

“Oh, stop that,” Sakura scolded, putting her hands on her hips, “We’re friends aren’t we?” For a moment, I thought I would start sobbing again. This was the first time anyone acknowledged me as anything but an annoyance. My chest constricted with emotion. I didn’t trust my voice, so I just nodded.

“Exactly,” She said, with a warm smile, “Friends support each other. Sometimes you just have to cry.” My returning smile was tight, but it felt right.

I took in a shuttered breath to relax. Maybe if I just avoided Sasuke’s radar I could avoid heartbreak again. I could do that, right? Yes, I could. I had friends now. This wasn’t my squad. I wasn’t alone. I could handle never being a family as long as I wasn’t lonely anymore. That thought brought a soft smile to my face, and I knew it was true.

“Thank you.” It was a near whisper, but I had a feeling she heard me.

Any calm that had washed over me was suddenly replaced with alarm. This jarring urgency felt like it dropped hot coals into the coiling fear in my stomach. Every muscle in my body tightened in anticipation, and my heart began to race. Not again.

“Riyame,” Kakashi-sensei’s voice was low, “What is it?”

“I-Nothing. I just…I think I dropped something when I ran away.” It was a poor attempt at covering up my panic and we both knew it.

“I’ll get it. What did you drop?” His tone was friendly, but I knew he didn’t believe me for a moment.

“No!” When our eyes met I was certain, “I mean, I’ve got it,” I muttered, walking away at as brisk a pace as I dared with the eyes on my back. Once I was out of their view, I ran.

I reached the training field quickly, but when I did, I froze.

Sasuke and Naruto stood with their backs facing me, both of them in varying phases of readiness. The other person in the clearing was someone I had hoped I’d never have to face again. He was older, his hair longer and his eyes more sinister. Harsh, dark rings hung under his eyes, and his face was a cold mask. Maybe I was imagining him. He could be a figment of my imagination, right?

My stomach flipped, and I thought for a horrible second that I was going to be sick. When his eyes caught mine, I forgot how to breathe. I knew then that there was no way this wasn’t real, and that terrified me.

“What are you looking at,” Sasuke demanded. Two pairs of eyes were on me, “What are you doing here?” I could barely hear Sasuke’s impolite growl. The world around me was growing more faded as Itachi’s eyes held mine. I was a bird staring into the eyes of a snake.