Sequel: Mission: Delivery!
Status: I'm fixing this one chapter at a time. It was really bad. I re-read it, and I was embarrassed. Hopefully what the chapters get replaced with will be better.

Enter: Riyame Uchiha

004: Questions

He was right, of course. Her voice boomed down the hallway as she ordered the hospital staff out of her way, her heels angrily clicking on the floor. Where the door not open, her entrance would have been grander as she took in the scene. They must have been an odd group. Riyame, unconscious and ghostly, and a ragtag group of three waiting for her.

“Out of the way,” She barked, walking up to Riyame’s bedside. Naruto was quick to dodge her. “What happened?”

“Itachi-“ Kakashi barely got out his name before Tsunade turned on him.

“This is the second time he’s gotten into this village,” She growled, “How exactly did he manage to attack residents of this village without the Anbu Black Ops so much as noticing?”

“I don’t know, my lady,” Kakashi’s reply was polite, but it was lined with a similar anger.

“They will answer for this,” She growled, her caramel eyes landing on Jiraiya, “Do me a favor. Tell Danzo that I want a word in my office in fifteen minutes. If he doesn’t show, he’s mine.” Her attention was on Naruto before Pervy Sage got a chance to respond, “Are you hurt?”

“No-“

“Good.” She finally focused on Riyame, “Did she sustain any injury?”

“Not really,” Naruto said, “Sasuke took most of it.” Not that he really felt bad for him since he ran away.

“And where is Sasuke?”

“He took off like a-“

“We don’t know,” Kakashi corrected. Naruto glowered at him. He wasn’t done with his rant.

Tsunade felt the girl’s forehead and frowned. A light blue glow surrounded her hand. Several moments passed and her brow creased. Naruto began to feel uneasy and restless. Her face was the same color as the sheets, and he would have thought she was dead if he didn’t know better.

“It’s not working,” He grumbled. If anything, Naruto thought she looked worse.

“Be quiet or leave,” the old lady responded sourly.

Another awkward minute passed before Riyame so much as fidgeted. Naruto leaned forward, his breath catching in his throat. Sure enough, her eyes slowly fluttered open. A grin split Naruto’s face, but it quickly disappeared when he saw the hollow look in her eye. Three sighs of relief radiated through the room. It seemed like he wasn’t the only one who held his breath.

Her eyes scanned the room, taking in each face. “Where am I?” Her voice sounded so fragile that Naruto cringed.

“The hospital,” Tsunade’s voice was more gentle than he had ever heard it, “Do you know how you got here?” Riyame didn’t respond.

The room was still bright compared to the darkness, but I welcomed it. Four presences bared down on me as my brain struggled to wrap around Lady Hokage’s question. I couldn’t distinguish one from another yet, so they formed a giant, distracting mass.

“I don’t know.” Speaking felt strange, like I was in control of a body that wasn’t mine. I blinked to bring the room into better focus. Above me, Lady Tsunade hovered, asking me a string of questions I wasn’t listening to. I attempted to shift to ease the discomfort of being in the spotlight, but my body was heavy.

“What were you thinking?” It was a voice I hadn’t been expecting, yet his presence was very clear to me now. I turned my head to look at him, and I was met with a confusing expression on Naruto’s face. It was angry, yet…I couldn’t place the other.

“Naruto,” I heard Kakashi-sensei say gently.

“He could have killed you!” Shock kept me silent. Concern. That’s what it was. He was worried about me. He was mad because he was…worried about me?

“Enough,” Sensei warned.

Naruto glowered at him over his shoulder, turned on his heel and began to storm out. He paused at the door and threw a glance back at me before leaving the room entirely.

The conversation continued around the room, ignoring what had just happened. I pushed myself into a sitting position, noticing right away that my back was tender.

“What happened?” The question wasn’t directed at me, but I didn’t think I could answer even if it was. A lump formed in my throat, and for a moment, I thought I was going to embarrass myself and cry.

“We had just finished a training exercise. Sakura and I…accompanied Riyame back to the village.” Our eyes met briefly, and I realized that this was his attempt to spare me. “She insisted on returning to the field because she had dropped something, but I knew something was wrong. So, I sent Sakura ahead to get Jiraiya-“

“She found me in the tavern by the way. What do you teach these kids?” I barely caught the dirty look that silenced him.

“-and searched the surrounding areas,” Kakashi continued, “I didn’t realize who had returned, and I got there too late. I might have had him, but my team’s safety took priority. Master Jiraiya arrived moments after I did.” A new guilt joined the emotions stirring inside of me.

“They weren’t very hard to find, with all of the explosions and then the screaming.” I kept my eyes on my hands, avoiding eye contact with anyone else in the room.

The most overwhelming emotion was the shame. Had I not panicked, much of what happened could have been different. Naruto would have never been in danger. A criminal might have been apprehended. What else had I screwed up?

“Are you well enough to tell us what happened?” This question was aimed at me. Her voice was gentler, almost soothing like I was a frightened creature stuck in a corner. I grimaced, trying to work up the will to speak.

When I finally did, I had to clear my throat of emotion. I explained how I was convinced I had dropped something, but when I got there the boys were staring my older brother down. I condensed the story, skipping the part where I nearly fell apart when he set his sights on me.

“He ignored me and went for Naruto, so I just…I acted. I didn’t think about it.” I paused, considering how to best explain what happened next. “I don’t remember anything after that.” I rushed over the words, and I knew they wouldn’t believe me.

No one challenged my explanation. I let out a sigh of relief when Tsunade asked Kakashi-sensei a few follow-up questions.

“I want you to stay here for a few days.” It was so unexpected.

“Wait…why?”

“I want to be sure that there’s no lasting damage,” She replied, “Once I’m sure, you can return to your training.” I knew better than to argue with her, so I said nothing. “Now, everyone out. She needs to rest.”

“I’d like a few words with her if she doesn’t mind.” I could feel sensei’s eyes on me, but I couldn’t bring myself to look at him.

“Riyame,” Tsunade questioned. I nodded, unable to speak. “Alright, let’s go Jiraiya. I have a meeting to prepare for.” Kakashi didn’t speak until they left the room entirely.

“I won’t ask you what he did to you,” He said, “I’ve been through it. It’s not an experience I like to relive either. But, what you did was foolish. It’s bad enough that Sasuke doesn’t think when your older brother is involved, but I would have thought you would have more sense.” I gnawed on my lip, knowing I deserved every bit of this scolding and more. I was an idiot. Plain and simple.

“I recommend that you tell him,” He continued.

“He knows,” My voice was a cracked whisper, but it was all I could manage at the moment.

“How?” There was no confusion in his question.

“Our brother.” A tear pricked my eye, and I wiped it away before it could fall.

“I won’t press you anymore,” He assured me, reached forward to ruffle my hair, “Get some rest, kiddo.” And with that, he left me alone.

I laid back, welcoming the embrace of the soft pillow. I thought about sleeping. I was more than tired enough, but every time I closed my eyes, there was blood. After several attempts, I felt ill, so I stopped trying.

Kakashi sighed when he stepped around the corner. He didn’t like having to leave her there alone, but she needed time if she was going to face anyone else. Silently, he wondered how much more damage Itachi did to her. No one in the room was fooled by her edited recounting of what really happened.

When he reached the lobby, he noticed the Hokage speaking to a blonde girl—who looked to be around the same age as the members of his team. Tsunade glanced at Kakashi as he approached.

“Do you have a problem with her staying for a few days?”

“Of course not, my lady,” He replied, “She’s more shaken than she wants to admit. She’s not ready to go home yet.”

“I’ll evaluate her, and I’ll tell you when I think it’s safe for her to return to her normal life.”

“You mean: I will be evaluating her,” The girl cut in.

“Yes, Kagame. You will be evaluating her,” Tsunade agreed with a sigh.

“Who is it this time?” Kagame’s casual tone reminded Kakashi of Naruto’s. She spoke to the Sannin as though they were equals.

Lady Hokage handed her a paper, “You’ll have to speak to her yourself.” Kagame’s reply was a sour look until she scanned the paper.

“Possible psychological trauma…lovely,” She muttered under her breath. Her blue eyes shifted to Kakashi, “I’ll take good care of her, don’t you worry.”

“I’ll trust your judgment,” Kakashi replied evenly.

“Familiarize yourself before you speak to her,” Tsunade said, her tone almost motherly.

“I know, I know.” Kagame waved off her reminder and read the paper in her hands while wandering off into the hospital.

Kakashi had a sudden thought and sighed.

Tsunade looked at him, “Kagame is specially trained in treating the mind. Plus I think it’ll do that girl some good to make another friend. I’ve read through the hospital’s files on her…” She shook her head in disbelief, “Until about two years ago, she was in and out of the hospital with a ‘mysterious illness’. It’s like the idiots here don’t know what trauma is…”

“That’s not it, my lady,” Kakashi assured her, “I’m going to have to rescue Sasuke.”

“Rescue him?” She raised a brow, “From what?”

“Naruto.” One word was all it took before she understood.

“I would go then,” She said.

Almost the instant he stepped outside, he could hear them going at it.

“Apologize,” Naruto demanded.

“Go away, idiot,” Sasuke’s growl was an attempt at menacing.

He should know the knucklehead better than that by now, Kakashi thought.

“Not until you apologize to your sister.” So both of them knew already. He wasn’t entirely surprised by that. At least that saved him the effort of telling either of them himself.

“I said: go away,” Their argument was growing more distant, but Kakashi knew he would have to intervene soon or Naruto was going to drive everyone insane.

He managed to pluck Sasuke from the street mid-step without Naruto seeing him. Sasuke began to protest until he saw who it was that had saved him.

“I guess I should thank you,” Sasuke grumbled, “He was getting on my nerves.”

Kakashi gave a slight, disapproving shake of his head. “You can thank me, but you can’t apologize to your sister?”

He groaned in protest, “Not you too—wait! You knew?” The Uchiha’s face flushed with disbelief and indignant anger. “Two days…we’ve been stuck with her for two days, and you never told me?”

“Believe me, Sasuke, I wish I had,” Kakashi replied, a hard edge in his tone, “maybe if I had gotten it out of the way instead of leaving it up to her to do so, things might have gone a little more smoothly.” Sasuke’s expression shifted to one Kakashi had rarely seen before. It was fleeting, but there was definitely regret there.

“Whatever,” He grumbled, turning away from the jonin. Kakashi placed a hand on his shoulder to stop his retreat.

“I didn’t grab you to scold you,” Kakashi said, “I was just stating a point. I’m sure you have a lot of questions regarding the situation at hand, and I thought you might need answers.”

Sasuke shot him an uncomfortable look over his shoulder. “I’m not getting out of this am I?” Kakashi shook his head, and his student’s expression became stormy. “Then can we go somewhere a little more private?”

Kakashi allowed him that. At least he was willing to talk, and that was something he didn’t know if he’d manage a second time. He led Sasuke to a lone rooftop. Sasuke must have deemed it worthy because he faced his sensei head on.

“Before you ask anything of me, I have a question of my own.” The Uchiha motioned for him to continue. “Why did you disappear when I arrived?”

“I wasn’t needed, and my goal wasn’t achieved. There was no point for me to stay.” Blunt and calculating.

His answer made Kakashi frown at him through the mask. It was exactly what he had been expecting. Though he suspected Sasuke made an attempt to chase his brother, there was no point in asking.

“I’m sure Riyame would have been relieved if you were there when she woke up.” His tone was nonchalant, carefully keeping accusations out of it.

“You and I both know that’s a lie,” Sasuke retorted dryly.

“I won’t force you to apologize, but I know it would mean a lot to her if you did.” Sasuke scowled at him in return. “I said I would answer your questions, but you have to ask them for that to happen.”

“Why wasn’t I told?” It was the exact question Kakashi had been expecting and ready for.

“They thought she wouldn’t survive the trauma, but when she came around, they were going to.” His mouth was half open for a reply that Kakashi intercepted. “She was afraid of your rejection. She was sick, she was already alone, and it was easier to stay that way. You should understand that better than anyone.”

“So…what? She was more willing to lie in the hospital and die than face me?” The questioned was loaded with skepticism. “What? Did she think I’d hate her for living?”

“I doubt I could do that particular question any justice even if I tried.”

“So…yes. Paranoid fool…” He glowered at the ground.

“Would you blame her?” Kakashi asked skeptically, “I wouldn’t.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Look at how you treated her today and the day before,” Kakashi replied, “Whether you knew or not makes no difference. You could have cared less who she was. Without so much as a thought toward her feelings, you put her down. In her eyes, you rejected her. Can you tell me for a fact that it would have been different had you known from the beginning?” Sasuke said nothing, only opening and closing his mouth a few times as though he were on the verge of a response. “Do you see what I mean?”

Sasuke let out an agitated sigh, “I guess…” He had a feeling that the boy didn’t get his point entirely. “She obviously doesn’t listen.” Kakashi raised a brow in question, “She doesn’t hate him.”

“Did you really expect her to?” Kakashi retorted dryly, “I’ll give you some leeway with the fact that you thought she died, but think back to the Riyame before the massacre. Did you honestly think she would hate Itachi?” Sasuke couldn’t deny it.

“And now, is she…”

“Is that concern I hear?” Kakashi smiled at Sasuke’s returning scowl, “She’s…well, I can’t quite say she’s ‘okay’, but she’s alive. She’ll be in the hospital for a few days to make sure there’s no permanent psychological damage.”

Sasuke visibly stiffened, stuffing his hands in his pockets. “I have somewhere to be,” He muttered. Before Kakashi could stop him, he was already walking away.

He didn’t press the issue. Sasuke would open up if or when he was ready. It was better this way. Now Kakashi had a chance to grab Naruto and explain the situation. If he did, maybe he would get off Sasuke’s back. It was a long shot, and he knew it, but it was better than the bickering.

In his search for Naruto, he saw a glimpse of orange enter the hospital. Kakashi followed it, trusting his gut. Sure enough, there the blond was. He was now in a heated argument with the Hokage. Kakashi considered himself lucky that Naruto had the sense to keep his voice down.

“Why not?” Naruto’s frustrated protest urged Kakashi closer.

“She needs rest, Naruto,” Lady Tsunade said in an attempt at patience, “This is a hospital, not a place where you can traipse wherever you please.”

“I just want to check on her,” He reasoned, “It’s my fault she’s in here to begin with.”

“It’s no one’s fault,” Tsunade said firmly.

“It is,” He insisted, “I just want to make sure she’s alright. Is that too much to ask?”

She let out a defeated sigh, “You have five minutes, but if she’s resting-“

“Yeah, yeah, I got it.” Naruto waved her away impatiently, but she grabbed him as he moved to step around her.

“I mean it,” She growled.

“I’ll escort him if you’d like,” Kakashi interjected.

“Please do,” She sighed in relief.

Kakashi placed a hand on Naruto’s shoulder as a thankful silence passed between them. He guided him to Riyame’s room. The kid was practically vibrating beneath his hand, whether with excitement or some other emotion Kakashi didn’t know.

“Any particular reason you fought so hard for this visit?” Kakashi figured he might as well sate his curiosity while they walked.

“I feel bad,” Naruto sighed.

“Why?” Kakashi quirked a brow.

“She saved me, and I ripped her head off when it’s Sasuke who deserves it,” Naruto answered, his brows knitting over a cross expression. Kakashi accepted his answer, interested to see what he intended to do or say.

When they reached her room, Kakashi took the initiative and gently knocked on the door. A small voice carried through.

“Come in.” Kakashi frowned, but he opened the door and ushered Naruto and himself through it. She was in the process of sitting up as they approached. Kakashi noted that she had changed her clothing, but she was still ghostly. Her contrasting dark hair and eyes gave her a haunted appearance that worried him.

The instant he released Naruto, Kakashi watched him with bated breath. He was hesitant at first, but soon enough he spoke.

“I’m sorry…about earlier… You stepped in front of me, and I thought…” Naruto sighed, unable to finish.

“Don’t,” was Riyame’s reply, “no one told me to face my brother. I chose to.” Silence filled the room as Naruto watched Riyame, who didn’t look up from her folded hands in her lap. Kakashi decided to break it.

“I hoped you would be resting,” Kakashi said.

“I couldn’t sleep.” Her voice sounded as hollow as her eyes looked.

“You want to talk about it,” Naruto prompted.

“No. They’re just nightmares.” She spoke more to herself, but it was enough to silence the blond. Kakashi could see the sympathy on his face, but he knew from experience that Naruto couldn’t get it. He could only imagine what Itachi had chosen to show her.