Status: back with a facelift | previously title take your aim

Kiss of Death

Chapter One

The sun was beginning to set in the distance, yellows and pinks painting the sky. The sounds of axes against wood began to slow until only a few remained, being replaced with the chatting of men coming home from a hard day’s work.

Scout looked on as the men made their way through the streets of District 7. Sweat rested upon their heads and clung to their shirts, while axes were hung over their shoulders. The rough wood was as beaten and torn as the clothes that they wore.

Maven sat next to Scout, pushing around clumps of dirt, while Scout brushed the dirt off the five-year-old’s dress.

“We better get you home,” Scout said, picking up the girl. They walked through a small field, towards the rows and rows of identical wooden cabins.

Scout placed Maven down and the child walked alongside her, picking up dandelions along the way. They walked to a cabin far to the left and Maven pushed her way through the door.

The small blonde walked up to the sink and Scout lifted her, helping the girl wash her hands.

Behind them, the door creaked open and the sound of stomping boots filled the room, signaling the end of the day.

Maven squealed and ran up to the older woman, jumping into her arms.

Scout picked up a towel off the counter and wiped her hands with it.

“Hello, Mrs. Walker,” Scout said, placing the towel neatly back in its place.

Mrs. Walker smiled at Scout, wiping her brow with her free hand.

“That sun was a brute this afternoon,” Mrs. Walker said. “I could’ve filled a river with all the sweat I had.”

Her loud laugh filled the room and she placed Maven back to the floor.

Scout smiled at her. “It seems to always get hotter the closer it gets to the Reaping.”

Mrs. Walker nodded, walking over to the sink and splashing some water on her face. “Thank you for watching the little one. I just wish I had some way to repay you.”

Scout shook her head. “Oh, no. It’s my pleasure, really.”

“You oughta run off and see if you can find Reed,” Mrs. Walker said. “Last I saw him, he was hanging up his axe.”

Scout nodded, moving swiftly out of the Walker’s dusty home.

The sun beat into her eyes and she placed her hand above her head, blocking the rays from blinding her. She spotted Reed to the left, scraping off his boots. He looked up at her and smiled.

“Look at these things,” he said, holding the dirty brown shoes. “I don’t understand how it can be so hot and so muddy at the same time.”

Scout shrugged. “It rains nearly every morning. The ground gets wet. Such is life.”

She sat next to Reed on the ground, tucking her dress beneath her.

Reed rolled his eyes, dropping his boot to the ground. “So, where’d you put my sister?”

“She’s inside with your mom. Dinner’s on the stove. You should’ve seen her after school got out. She practically pulled me out of class so she and I could make you dinner.”

Reed laughed, “That sounds like Maven. She’s far too much like you. Mom needs to find a new babysitter.”

Reed stood up, blocking the sun from landing on Scout’s face. She looked up at him and he reached out his hand. When she grabbed onto it, he pulled her up and they began walking back to the house.

“What’s school like now that I’m only there half the time?”

Reed had just turned 17. As the rules stated, he had begun getting pulled out of class early to help in the forest, along with the other boys his age. Scout knew Reed wanted to stay in school, but he was the best chopper in the district. The workers needed him to help meet their quota, and his family needed the extra money it brought home.

Scout pondered for a moment. “The same.”

The two paused, taking a few steps closer to Reed’s family’s cabin.

“Ash misses it,” Scout said. “Or at least he says he does.”

Behind them, the two heard a voice calling Scout’s name. She spotted Ash’s dark hair in the distance and waved at him as he made his way towards her.

“Speak of the President,” Reed said, turning away from Scout. “I’ll see you in the morning.”

Scout nodded and began walking towards Ash, meeting him halfway between their homes. When they were close enough, Ash wrapped his arms around Scout, lifting her into the air. She smiled and tied her arms around his neck. Her feet landed gently back on the ground as Ash smiled in front of her.

“How were the woods?” Scout asks, grabbing the axe from Ash’s arms.

Ash wiped sweat from his face, before placing a kiss gently on top of Scout’s head.

“Sweaty,” he replied, peeling his soaked shirt from his body. “How was school?”

Scout shrugged, “We just relearned everything we already know about the Capitol and did a bit of dusting.”

“Ah yes,” Ash said. “You girls get to stay inside and clean while the men do the real work.”

Scout glared at him. “You know, there are plenty of girls who plan to work in the lumber yards after school is out. I just might myself.”

“Oh, please,” Ash laughed. “I love you, but you couldn’t wield an axe to save your life. You can hardly even lift mine up.”

Scout looked down at the axe in her hand, rubbing her hands against the rough wood. She looked back up at Ash and sighed.

Ash smiled down at her, moving a stray piece of hair behind her ear. “It’s alright, love. You can stay home and I’ll go out in the field and make enough money for the both of us. That’s how most families live, anyway.”

Scout glared at Ash and he placed another kiss on top of her head.

“I’ve got to get home,” Scout said. “I want to be back before my father.”

Ash nodded and wrapped his arms around her neck, pulling her close to him. She hugged him back, feeling the heat roll off his body. He pulled away and smiled. The light kiss he placed on her lips lightened her mood significantly, and she smiled up at him.

Scout made her way back to her home, passing Reed’s house along the way. When she stepped onto the porch, she spotted her father’s muddy boots in the corner, his axe lying on top of them.

The door swung open beneath her hands and she found her mother and father sitting at their wooden table.

“You’re home,” her father said, spooning some soup into his mouth.

Scout nodded. “Sorry I’m late.”

Her mother stood up, walking toward the kitchen.

“Sit down, Lily. The girl can get her own food.”

Her mother sat back down and Scout smiled at her. She took the few short steps to the kitchen and poured some soup into a bowl.

“So dad,” Scout said, taking a seat next to her father. “How was work?”

“Like any other day,” he took a drink of his water and placed it slowly back on the table. “That friend of yours sure knows how to wield an axe.”

“Reed?” her mother asked. “Mrs. Walker’s boy?”

Her father nodded. “He just might give your boyfriend a run for his money.”

“It’s a shame what happened to the Walkers,” her mother said. “That poor woman works day and night to make a living for those kids. It’s lucky Reed’s finally of age and can help out in the field.”

Her father slurped down the last bit of his soup, slamming the bowl on the table.

“So, dad. How about we go out and you can teach me how to throw an axe?”

He shook his head. “There’s no point, Scout. I just don’t have the patience anymore.”

Scout nodded and her father sat up from the table, heading to the bedroom in the back of the house. Scout’s mother smiled at her, picking up the bowls from the table and setting them in the sink.

“He’s frustrated,” her mother said, wrapping her arms around her daughter in a tight hug. “He’s had a long day at work, and he just doesn’t have time today."

Scout sighed, pulling away from her mother. She placed a small kiss upon her mother’s cheek and made her way to her bedroom, closing the door behind her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, guys. This is my new Hunger Games fic and I am soo excited about it. I already have a few chapters written, so I don't get behind!

Special thanks to Julia for encouraging me to write this and helping me through my writer's block!