Status: back with a facelift | previously title take your aim

Kiss of Death

Chapter Ten

Scout sat on top of the soft red sofa with Reed sitting next to her. Surrounding them was each member of the prep team. Geneva was sitting gently on an armchair, her legs folded properly in front of her. The blue-haired woman was glaring at Alder, who sat on the arm of the sofa next to Scout. Alder didn’t seem to notice her glare and was instead focused on the television in front of them.

Jacques Marico was placed in the center of the camera. His friendly smile helped to distract the people as they waited for the results of the evaluations.

After just a few moments, Jacques announced that it was time for each of the tributes to receive their score.

Jacques called out the name of the tributes followed by their district number and the score they had received. The announcements began with District 1’s tributes, who each received a score of 10. They were followed by the tributes of District 2, who had received scores of eight and nine.

Scout watched the television closely as each of the tribute’s names appeared on the screen followed by their score. The scores ranged from the small boy from District 5 who had received a 4, to the 10’s that District 1’s tributes had received.

In an attempt to memorize which scores had been given, Scout focused all of her attention on the television. When Reed’s face appeared on the screen, she hadn’t been ready for it. The District 7 scores had snuck up on her.

A ten flashed over Reed’s face and the entire room breathed a deep sigh of relief. A ten was an excellent score - the same score that District 1 had been given. The gamemakers clearly saw potential in Reed.

Just as everyone had finished congratulating the boy, Scout’s face appeared on the screen followed by a six - the same score as the small girl from District 3.

The group looked at her with empathy written all over their faces.

Reed grabbed her hand, smiling at her. “It’s okay. Now you’ll be safe. They won’t see you as a threat, so they’ll leave you alone.”

The group nodded, voicing their agreement. Scout flashed them a smile before looking at the floor.

After a moment, Alder stood up and cleared his throat.

“Alright, everyone,” Alder said. “I think we better let the tributes get some rest. They’ve got interviews to prepare for.”

In just a few moments, the room cleared out until only Reed, Scout, and Alder were left. The older man grabbed an armchair and pulled it in front of the pair. He sat down, looking back and forth between the two.

“You two were friends back in District 7, right?”

Reed smiled, nodding his head. “We’re best friends. We have been since she started drawing pictures of me in dresses, right?”

Reed nudged Scout and she glared at him, a small smile on her face.

“We’re best friends,” Scout said, looking back at Alder.

“And everyone back home knows that?”

Scout nodded. “Of course. I watched his sister nearly every day.”

Alder looked down at the floor, putting his head in his hands. He took a deep breath before looking back at the pair.

“I hate to do this, but I don’t think we really have a choice.” Alder paused, collecting his thoughts. “In your interviews, when they ask, the two of you are dating.”

“What?” Scout responded quickly, her voice cracking. “No, we can’t lie.”

“It’s the best way to get sponsors.” Alder looked at Scout. “You’re weak, and you’re an obvious target. Without Reed, you’ll be dead on the first day. If you tell Panem that the two of you are in love, the sponsors will eat it up, and the other tributes will know not to mess with you.”

Reed looked over at Scout. “He has a point.”

Scout shook her head. “No, I have a boyfriend. Ash, not Reed, and everyone back home knows that.”

Alder leaned forward, placing his hand on Scout’s knee. “Listen, the two of you were going stick together, right?” Scout nodded her head. “Then, this will help.”

Scout sighed, moving her gave to the floor.

“It’s okay,” Reed said, shaking his head. “If she doesn’t want to do it, then we can find another way to get sponsors. We can talk about Maven.”

Scout looked up, meeting Alder’s eyes. The man sighed before nodding at them.

“That works,” Alder said, standing up from his seat. “You two better get to bed, then. You have a long day ahead of you.”

Scout and Reed stood up, following Alder out of the sitting room. Their mentor went down one end of the hall while Reed and Scout took another. The two walked side by side until they reached their rooms.

Placing her hands on the door, Scout pushed it open slowly. Before her door had opened completely, she turned to Reed. His eyes were already on her and his hands were stuffed in his pockets.

Sighing, Scout looking up at him. “I’m sorry. I want you to win, I really do. But I don’t want to hurt Ash. I love him, and I don’t want him to think that I don’t.”

Reed nodded. “It’s okay, Scout. I understand. We’ll find another way to win.”

Smiling at him, Scout moved forward and wrapped her arms around Reed. “Thank you.”

Reed hugged back, squeezing her tightly. “You’re welcome.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Let me know what you thought(: