Status: back with a facelift | previously title take your aim

Kiss of Death

Chapter Eleven

Parlom had dressed Scout in a long, blue dress that hit the floor perfectly when she was wearing heels. Unfortunately for Parlom, Scout refused to wear the shoes with the three-inch heel, and insisted that she wear a pair of slip-ons instead.

The two compromised, and the dress flowed to the ground, with just a little bit of fabric reaching the floor. Luckily, with the extra length, no one would be able to see the ballet flats Scout was wearing underneath the dress.

Scout tucked the blue dress underneath her, crossing her legs, as she took her seat next to the other tributes in the crowd. Next to her, Reed was wearing a black tuxedo with a blue tie that matched her dress and his eyes.

On the stage in front of them, Caesar Flickerman was smiling, flashing off his bright white teeth to the people of Panem. He wore a glittered red suit and matching red slacks. By the Capitol’s standards, he looked perfect, but to Scout, he appeared a little overdone.

“Welcome, everyone, to the celebration of another year of the Hunger Games.” Caesar smiled as the crowd cheered before him. “I am pleased to introduce to you each of this year’s tributes. Let’s start with Amethyst of District 1.”

The crowd cheered as a tall blonde girl approached the stage, her red dress flowing behind her. Caesar approached her, holding out his hand, and the two shook. The two then sat, with Caesar in his plush seat, and Amethyst across from him.

Caesar began asking Amethyst questions, but Scout had a hard time focusing on them. After only a few interviews, all of the tributes, their questions, and their answers were all a blur in Scout’s mind. She couldn’t remember which boy had spent his time carving wood with his knife, or which girl loved to cook with her mother.

“Thank you, Carter. It’s been a pleasure getting to know you.” Caesar stood up, shaking the young boy’s hand. He couldn’t have been any older than thirteen. The boy stepped off the stage, and behind the curtain, as each of the tributes had done before him.

Scout looked to her right, at each of the empty seats next to her, and realized that it was her turn. She looked at Reed, who gave her an encouraging smile.

“Now, let me introduce you to Scout Lovett,” Caesar said, holding out his arms.

The people of the Capitol cheered around her, the clapping filling her ears. Next to her, Reed nudged her with his elbow. She looked up at Caesar, who had his bright smile, and got the courage to stand up.

Scout made her way slowly towards the stage. Her knees knocked beneath her, making it difficult to walk, but after a few shaky steps, she was climbing up the stairs.

Her feet stepped slowly up each step, and she realized how lucky she was that she didn’t have to climb the stairs in heels.

Caesar approached her, holding out his hand to shake hers. Scout placed her hand in his, momentarily forgetting how sweaty they were. Caesar seemed to notice, but didn’t comment on it, and she was thankful for that.

“Scout, it is a pleasure to meet you,” Caesar said, flashing his smile.

Scout took a deep breath, taking her seat across from Caesar. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, too.”

Her nerves were getting to her, causing her hands to shake, but she attempted to calm herself by focusing on Caesar’s sweet smile.

“So Scout,” Caesar said, folding his hands in his lap. “Tell us a little bit about yourself.”

“Well, I’m – “ Scout’s voice cracked, and she coughed softly. “I’m from District 7 and I’m 17 years old.”

Caesar nodded. “What’s your life like back in District 7?”

Scout paused for a moment, thinking of what to say. She remembered Maven and her sweet laughter. She could focus on that.

“It was good. I mean, it is good. I go to school, and take care of Maven. It’s simple, but it’s nice.”

“It does sound nice.” Caesar smiled, comforting her even more. “Is Maven your sister?”

Scout shook her head. “No, she’s my best friend’s sister. I watch her while he and his mother work.”

“That’s very nice of you. I’m sure they’ll both be happy to see you when you get back.”

Scout sighed, looking towards the ground.

“I sense some doubt,” Caesar said, softening his voice. “Tell us what’s going on.”

Scout looked at Caesar, and his sweet face, and felt she had no choice but to open to him. If nothing else, it would win some sympathy votes with the sponsors.

“Well, my best friend, Maven’s brother, is a tribute this year, too.”

Each member of the audience took in a breath so dramatic it sounded fake.

Caesar shook his head, a small frown on his face. “That’s terrible. I am so sorry. He’s the boy tribute? Reed Walker?”

Scout nodded, biting her lip.

“Reed got a ten, isn’t that right? He looks to be promising. What do you think of that?”

“Oh, he is promising,” Scout said, pushing a smile to her lips. “He’s going to win. I just know it.”

At the end of Scout’s sentence, a buzz sounded overhead, signaling her interview was over.

“Well, that’s all we have time for,” Caesar said, standing up from his chair. “It was a pleasure to meet you.”

Scout smiled, shaking Caesar’s hand once more before stepping behind the curtain and toward Alder. She let out a deep breath she hadn’t known she’d been holding in. Her body calmed, and it amazed her how quickly the nerves went away.

Behind her, Caesar spoke again. “Now let me introduce Scout’s best friend, Reed Walker.”

The crowd went wild.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you guys liked this chapter(: Are you as excited for Reed's interview as I am?!