Status: back with a facelift | previously title take your aim

Kiss of Death

Chapter Twelve

Reed stepped onto the stage, his tall frame towering over Caesar. The pair smiled at one another while they shook hands. His eyes looked so blue that they were the only thing anyone in the crowd could focus on.

“Reed, it is a pleasure to meet you,” Caesar said, taking his place on his plush chair.

Reed smiled, taking the seat opposite him. “It is an honor to meet you, Caesar.”

The bright smile on Reed’s face suddenly overtook the stage. Everyone’s eyes were on him. Even as Caesar spoke, all the attention was on Reed.

“A volunteer from District 7,” Caesar said, a grin on his face. “Excuse me if I appear a little star struck, but we don’t get that often.”

Both of the men laughed, along with the rest of Panem.

Caesar smiled before speaking again. “You said you’re a career, isn’t that right?”

“Well, I meant that in the lightest sense of the word,” Reed said, giving a small chuckle. “I never actually trained for the games, but I’ve been working in the forests since I was young, so I’m very good with an axe.”

“I think we can all see that,” Caesar said, pointing at Reed’s biceps. The audience laughed before Caesar continued. “I think you’ve proved it as well. You did score a ten. That is quite an impressive number.”

Reed chuckled. “Thank you.”

After a few moments, the buzzer sounded, and Reed and Caesar stood up.

“It really has been a pleasure getting to know you, Reed. I look forward to seeing you in the games.”

Reed smiled, shaking Caesar’s hand, before stepping behind the curtain. The crowd cheered behind him, much louder than they had been for the other tributes, maybe even louder than they had cheered for Districts 1 and 2.

As Reed stepped behind the curtain, Alder approached him, a large grin on his face. “I think that went really well.”

Behind him, Scout nodded. “You did great, Reed.”

Reed gave a small laugh, moving his gaze to the ground. “Thanks, guys.”

“What do you say we turn in early?” Alder said, placing a hand on each of their shoulders. “Tomorrow is a big day.”

The pair nodded as they began walking back to their quarters.

“I can’t promise you’ll be getting any sleep.” Alder’s gaze moved between them. “But the rest will help.”

When they arrived at the seventh floor apartment, Alder guided them down the hallways until they were standing in front of their rooms.

“You guys did great today,” Alder said, smiling at each of them. “I know it’s going to be difficult, but try to get some rest.”

Alder stepped away, leaving Reed and Scout standing in front of their doors. The two paused for a moment, shuffling their feet below them. After a moment, Scout turned to Reed.

“Your interview went really well,” Scout said, giving Reed a soft smile.

Reed grinned. “Yours was great, too.”

Both of them moved their gazes to the floor. Tomorrow they would be in the arena. They both knew it, but neither knew what to say.

Reed turned away from Scout, pressing his hands to his door. The smooth surface was soft against his fingers, much softer than the handle of his axe.

“Do we have a plan?” Scout asked, her voice so low it almost sounded as though she was mumbling.

“What’s that?” Reed asked, turning back to Scout. “Sorry, I didn’t hear you.”

She looked up at him, speaking a little louder this time. “Do we have a plan for tomorrow?”

Reed met her eyes, moving closer to her. “We stay together the whole time and we find a way to win.”

Shaking her head, Scout bit her lip. “There’s only one winner, Reed. We both can’t make it.”

Reed didn’t hesitate, and he placed his hands against her face, forcing her to look at him.

“Everything’s going to work out fine,” Reed said, before moving his hands back to his sides. “Alder has a plan. He told me a few days ago. You’ll see. Everything is going to be fine and pretty soon, we’ll be back home with Maven, more food than we could ever eat, and the biggest homes in our district.”

Scout bit her lip again, moving her gaze away from Reed. He sighed and wrapped his arms around her, squeezing her tightly.

“I promise,” Reed said, “you have nothing to worry about.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's almost time for the games! I hope everyone is ready(: