Status: back with a facelift | previously title take your aim

Kiss of Death

Chapter Thirteen

The plush, feather blanket was tangled over Scout’s body. Her body shook, waking her from her sleep. She was trapped in a cold sweat with her heart racing. Even before she had fully wakened, her body knew of the day that was to come.

Scout had to force herself out of bed that morning. She skipped showering since she knew Parlom would have to clean her up, anyway. Luckily, Parlom had grown used to how fidgety she was when getting ready so the process would be easy.

With her feet dragging against the floor, she made her way slowly down the hall and to the dining room that had become so familiar to her. Oddly enough, Scout was going to miss that terrible table and the horribly awkward talks with Geneva.

The purple haired host sat at her usual place, wearing the same large grin she always did. Reed, Alder, and Kari had yet to arrive at the table, so Scout took the place closest to Geneva. She picked up her fork immediately, and began twisting it between her fingers.

“It looks like they’re late, as usual,” Geneva said, taking a sip of tea. “Today is the worst day to be late.”

Nodding, Scout forced out a smile. She moved her fork to her plate and pushed around her food. Even though she was certain the meal beneath her was delicious, just smelling it made Scout’s stomach turn. She brought her hand to her mouth, covering it as she gagged.

Geneva turned to her, giving her what appeared to be a solemn look. “Try the oatmeal, dear. It will probably be easiest on your stomach.”

Scout nodded, attempting to shove a spoonful in her mouth. It stung her tongue but she forced it down her throat. The oatmeal coated her stomach, but didn’t sooth her nerves.

On the other side of the room, a shouting began. Alder’s voice was low, but Scout could still tell it was him. She heard the faint sound of Kari yelling back, before the two entered the room. Alder had his hands at his sides, while Kari’s were folded across her chest.

Scout and Geneva made awkward eye contact, before turning to the two mentors.

“Good morning,” Alder said, taking a seat across from Scout.

Scout smiled at him. “Good morning.”

Kari took the seat next to Alder but kept her gaze forward, not acknowledging anyone. The woman spooned her food hastily into her mouth. She didn’t even pause to take breaths.

“Have you seen Reed?” Scout asked, her question directed more towards Alder than anyone else.
Shaking his head, Alder shoved some cereal in his mouth. “I’m sure he’s still getting ready.”

Scout nodded and turned back to her plate. She pushed her food around, still unable to stomach it. She wished she had the same appetite that Kari had.

The female mentor looked up and cleared her throat. “I know you’re not in the mood, but I suggest you eat up. This could be the last good meal you get.”

Scout looked at her, biting her lip, then threw her head back down. She took another spoonful of oatmeal and forced herself to eat it. She looked around the room, turning her head so she could look down the hallway. Reed was never late.

As if on cue, Reed stepped into the room, his hair still wet from his shower. He ran his fingers through it and drops of water fell from the tips.

“Good morning, everyone,” Reed said, as he took his seat.

Scout turned to him. “You’re late.”

Reed chuckled. “Not that late. I wanted to shower. Is that okay?”

“Of course it is.” Scout smiled. “I was just worried you weren’t going to show up.”

With a mouthful of muffin, Reed spoke. “Not show up? How could I do that?”

Scout shrugged, returning her attention back to the oatmeal in front of her. With every bite, it became more difficult to eat. Next to her, Reed was shoveling food into his mouth the same way Kari had. If Scout didn’t know any better, she’d have thought they were at his kitchen table eating breakfast before he headed out to the forest.

After Reed had cleared nearly three plates, he placed his hands on the table.

“Well, that was delicious,” Reed said, a small smile on his face. “I’m ready whenever you are.”

Scout was happy to be excused from the table and nodded her head. “I’m ready, too.”

Alder looked up at them and gave them a soft nod. “Let’s go then.”

The group stood up from the table, each of them placing their silverware carefully on top of their plates. Alder guided the pair back down the hallways they had taken upon their arrival to Panem. Kari followed slowly behind them, her hands shoved deep into her pockets.

When they reached a pair of large metal doors, Alder stopped. He moved closer to the tributes, standing directly in front of them.

“This is where I leave you. This elevator is going to take you to the top of the building. There, you’re going to be taken onto a plane.” Alder looked from Scout, to Reed, and they both nodded. “I want you two to remember. Stick together and lay low. Don’t make enemies, and make sure you’re always watching your backs. You’re going to do great.”

Alder gave them each a soft smile before motioning for them to step forward. The elevator doors opened up and they each looked back at Alder. When he flicked his hand, the two stepped again, until they were inside of the dark metal.

Scout looked over at Reed, who was standing straight, with his head up.

“Aren’t you nervous?” she asked, her hands shaking.

Reed looked at her, taking her shaky hand in his. “Everything’s going to be all right, Scout. It’s okay that you’re nervous, but I promise everything will be okay.”

The elevator door shot open, revealing the city’s skyline. In the center of the roof was a large plane with sharp, silver rotators whirring above it. The two stepped onto the concrete roof as a pair of Peacekeepers moved next to them. A peacekeeper grabbed each of their arms, pulling them forward.

“Keep your head low,” the Peacekeeper said, as they approached the plane.

The wind the plane was blowing caused Scout’s hair to whip around. Bits slapped her face, pushing their way into her mouth and she spit them out.

Reed laughed at her as the Peacekeepers helped them onto the plane. The other tributes stared at them, their blank expressions unreadable. Scout and Reed took the two open seats towards the back. Next to them, a short brunette girl sat facing forward.

A second Peacekeeper approached the pair, holding out a large needle. Scout flinched as the needle plunged into her arm, which embedded a tracker inside of her. Reed blinked his eyes, but didn’t seem as phased as Scout. She rubbed the tender spot but found that there was no blood.

When the Peacekeeper stepped off the plane, the engine grew louder. The plane began its ascent into the air and after a few short minutes, it stopped again, landing somewhere outside the arena.

The tributes were guided down a series of hallways before they were separated. All of the halls looked the same and Scout was thankful she had a Peacekeeper to guide her, or she would have gotten lost.

“Boys over here, and girls over there,” the Peacekeeper said, pointing to two separate hallways.
Scout looked at Reed as he began stepping away from her.

He turned back to her, a smile on his face. “It’s okay. They’re just going to get us changed. I’ll see you in a few minutes.”

Nodding, Scout gave him a soft smile back. She kept following the Peacekeeper as each female tribute was taken into to a separate room. When the group arrived at Scout’s room, she was quick to step into it. She would have given anything to be away from the others.

When she stepped into the room, she was happy to see Parlom and her prep team waiting for her. Parlom smiled, motioning for Scout to step forward.

“I think I’m going to pull your hair back,” Parlom said, tugging at the ends of it. “That way it’ll be out of your face.”

“That sounds great.”

In just a few short minutes, Parlom had Scout looking arena ready. Her brown hair was pulled back in a low ponytail, and her makeup had been done naturally, even though Scout was sure it would come off.

“It’s time,” Parlom said, looking up at a digital clock hanging from the wall.

In the corner of the room, a plastic tube opened up.

Parlom pointed at the tube. “Go on, dear. And good luck.”

Scout gave a small smile, that matched Parlom’s, before stepping into the tight tube.

When the door shut behind her, it sucked all the air from her body. She looked back, as Parlom and the prep team left the concrete room. Her breath was still caught in her lungs, and she had to force it out before her face turned blue. For the moment, she focused only on her breathing.

The bright sunlight began shining through the top of the tube, and Scout forced her eyes shut. A voice began counting overhead, as the tube moved slowly upward. It was time for the games to begin.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let the games begin!