Status: back with a facelift | previously title take your aim

Kiss of Death

Chapter Five

The long hallway had many twists and turns, and Scout would have easily gotten lost if Alder hadn’t been guiding them.

Even though they had been through the high pressure shower, Reed still had a bit of green paint on his cheek where a leaf had been painted, but Scout decided to ignore it.

"I'm glad that's over with," Reed said, smiling at Scout.

She nodded, giving him a small laugh.

The group kept walking down the hall, only stopping when they reached an elevator. The elevator’s doors slid open, and the group stepped through the door. When Alder’s fingers mashed against the buttons, the elevator sent them to the seventh floor of the very tall building.

The elevator reached its destination, announcing it with a beep, and the door slid in front of them, opening to a view of marble floors, large plush sofas, and a large dining table.

In front of the room, Kari stood with her hands placed firmly on her hips.

“It took you long enough,” Kari said, her eyes focused on Alder.

He laughed quietly and nodded. “I had a lot to show them.”

Kari sighed. “Well, let’s go, then.”

Kari took Scout’s hand and pulled her down the hallway with Alder and Reed following closely behind them. The group walked down more winding paths until they were at a dead end.

The hallway ended with the two doors, each of them identical.

“This will be your room,” Kari said to Scout, pointing to the door on the right. “And across from it is yours.” She looked at Reed, pointing at the other door. “Both of you need to get cleaned up and meet us for dinner in ten.”

The woman stepped away quickly, heading to the open end of the hallway.

Alder stood in front of them, shaking his head with a small smile on his face. He stuck his hands in his pockets then proceeded to follow the same path Kari had gone.

Scout and Reed stood for a moment, neither knowing what to do. Scout’s breathing was beginning to quicken. She could feel her fists tightening and she had to remind herself to release them.

Reed took a deep breath, letting it out in a sigh. His eyes moved to the floor, away from Scout.

“I was going to tell you,” he said, moving his eyes back up to her. “I just never found the right time.”

Scout turned away from him, placing her hands on the door. She breathed in deeply, slamming her fist against it.

“How could you?”

Reed reached his hand out to her. “Scout, I just –“

Scout pulled away, opening the door and shutting it behind her before he could finish.

Her back leaned against the door as her heart raced. She tried to calm herself by clenching and unclenching her fists, but it only helped a little.

With a groan, Scout moved away from the door to the center of the room where a rack of clothes sat, ready for her use. She slipped on the first thing she saw: a bright green shirt in her size.

After one last deep breath, she pressed her hands back to the door, opening it. Her head poked from behind it, looking up and down the hall for Reed.

When she was certain that he was gone, she stepped out of the room and walked down the hallway in an attempt to find her mentors.

At the end of the hallway, Alder and Kari were standing, Kari’s hands placed firmly on her hips. The two appeared to be in a heated argument, but their voices were soft, making it impossible for Scout to hear them. Scout cleared her throat, attempting not to startle them, and they turned to her.

Alder waved his hand, motioning for her to follow him. The two walked back down the hallway with the infinite twists and turns, until they were in a large dining room.

Geneva already sat at the table, her excellent posture causing her to lean perfectly against the back of the chair. She looked at Scout, her bright green lips turning up in a smile.

Flashing a similar smile, Scout took a seat at the opposite end of the table as Geneva, Alder sitting across from her.

“Everyone’s here,” Geneva said, as Reed and Kari entered the room.

Reed took his seat next to Scout, with Kari sitting across from him.

“Well, the two of you looked grand in that chariot,” Geneva said, spooning a bit of her soup into her mouth. “I was so proud.”

Scout nodded, smiling at Geneva. “Our stylists did an excellent job, but it was a bit more revealing than what I’m used to.”

Reed laughed, turning his head to face her. “Just a bit? You were so embarrassed. I’ve never seen your face that red in my life.”

Scout glared at him, her face not looking quite as threatening as she had hoped. She wanted so badly to be mad at him for leaving Maven all alone, but she knew she couldn’t. Of course, she would have to yell at him later. For now, though, she could joke along with him, if only to keep her sane for just a few moments longer.

“You two are close?” Kari asked, looking at them from beneath her pointed brows. “That will make things a lot more difficult in the arena.”

Alder placed his hand on Kari’s elbow, stopping her from speaking further.

“We don’t need to discuss that now,” Alder said, an apathetic smile on his face.

Geneva smiled. “He’s right. I avoid any dreadful talk at dinner. I like to stay positive while I eat my meal. I find that it helps the calories go to all the right places.”

Alder gave her an odd stare, before turning back to the tributes. “How long have you been friends?”

Scout looked from Reed to Alder. “Since we were ten, we were in the same class, so naturally we became friends.”

Reed laughed, shaking his head.

“That’s a lie.” He turned to Scout, a small smile on his face. “I hated you, remember? You kept drawing pictures of me in dresses. You were the meanest girl.”

Scout looked away from him, and back at Alder. “I don’t remember it like that.”

Reed laughed. “Whatever you say, Scout.”

Scout took a sip of her water as the rest of the group returned to their meal. Geneva began talking about her wardrobe in between bites. She had just had a new dress tailored, and she was very excited to wear it.

Alder took one last bite of his pie, before turning to the tributes. “If you are finished eating, you can head to your rooms to get an early rest.”

“Training begins tomorrow,” Kari said, her mouth full of food. “It’s going to be a long day.”

At the mention of training, Scout’s breath caught in her throat. Reed must have noticed, because he placed his hand gently on her elbow.

“I’m ready if you are,” Reed said, looking at Scout.

Scout nodded, standing up from her seat along with Reed.

“Do you know where you’re going?” Geneva asked. “It’s a large place and I don’t want you to get lost.”

Reed looked back at Geneva. “I think I remember. We should be fine.”

Geneva nodded, and Reed turned away, stepping down the hall. Scout followed closely in silence as they made the twists and turns down the hall.

“Here we are,” Reed said, pointing to their corresponding rooms.

Scout nodded, placing her hands on her door to open it.

Reed sighed. “Scout, will you please talk to me? I can’t have you mad at me. Not now.”

Scout turned back towards Reed, leaning against the door. She paused for a moment, trying to think of what to say.

“Shower and then meet me out here in an hour.” She turned away before he could respond.

When she stepped into her room, she let out a deep breath. With her back pressed to the wall, she sunk down to the floor, her legs folded in front of her. She attempted to gather her thoughts, in case she wasn’t able to when it came time to talk to Reed.

Her thoughts were flooded with Ash’s face and his voice. He would know exactly what to do in this situation. He was always much better with words than she was, and he would know exactly how to tell Reed just how angry she was with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you thought(:

Special thanks to whomping willow., castiel's vessel, Sunber, and Kat.The.Scream.Queen, for always being so encouraging. You don't realize how much your words mean to me <3