Status: back with a facelift | previously title take your aim

Kiss of Death

Chapter Nine

Scout sat on the cold bench, with Reed next to her, as each of the tributes got called into the evaluation room. Inside that room was each tribute’s last chance to prove themselves.

Behind the steel walls sat a panel of Hunger Games officials, who were each trained to evaluate the tributes based on their skills and talents. Unfortunately for Scout, she had none.

Alder had instructed Reed to show them how good he was with weapons, especially the axe. He was sure to impress them and receive a high number. Scout, on the other hand, had been instructed to show them how fast she could run.

Basically, Alder had instructed her to go into a room full of weapons, and run in a circle. It was sure to impress no one, but it was all she could do.

When Reed’s name was called, Scout’s breath caught in her throat. He reached over to her and gave her hand a quick squeeze, while flashing her a soft smile.

“Good luck,” he said, standing up from the bench. “I’ll see you after.”

Scout nodded, watching Reed walk across the room and through the metal doors.

The room was nearly empty, aside from the tributes of Districts 8 through 12, and each of them appeared to be as nervous as she was. Scout’s only blessing had been that the Career Tributes were the first to get evaluated, and she wasn’t stuck in a room with them.

After a few long minutes, a voice called her name, urging her to step into the evaluation room. Scout stood up, making her way slowly to the doors. Her heart was racing. Each beat appeared to quicken with the steps of her feet. She stood in front of the door, pausing for a moment, before placing her hands on the metal door.

When Scout walked into the room, each of the evaluators looked down at her from their perch. She moved to the center of the room, staring up at them.

“Scout Lovett,” she said, placing her hands at her sides. “District 7.”

The men nodded, as she looked around the room. She suddenly realized how embarrassing running around would be. In the corner of the room, she spotted a forest, like the one in the training room. She moved towards it, moving her feet slowly so she wouldn’t trip.

When she reached the forest, she kneeled down, gathering up the sticks and moss in a small pile. She took two rocks into her hands. They were a bit larger than the ones in the training room, but had similar shape.

Scout closed her eyes, trying to feel Reed’s hands around hers. She flicked her hands quickly, the way Reed had showed her. A lone spark flew off the rocks and landed in the pile, lighting a small fire.

Scout smiled, proud of this small accomplishment. She looked up at the evaluators, who were each sipping a similar drink. They appeared unimpressed. Scout stood up, moving back towards the evaluators.

“Is that it?” a man asked, patting down his black hair.

Scout nodded, folding her arms across her chest.

“You can go then?”

Nodding, Scout stepped quickly out of the room. Reed stood on the other side of the door, with Alder and Kari beside him.

“How did it go?” Reed asked, moving towards Scout.

“It went well,” Scout said, a small smile on her face. “How was yours?”

Reed smiled. “I did alright. My axe throwing was perfect, but knives weren’t as good and I think they have noticed.”

Scout shook her head. “I’m sure you did great.”

“Well, kiddos,” Alder said, moving towards the pair. “Now all that’s left to do is head back and wait.”
Scout nodded, as she and Reed followed Alder back to their quarters. Kari followed behind them, her face pointed towards the ground.

When they reached the District 7 floor, they found Geneva standing in the foyer.

“Perfect timing,” the woman said, clapping her hands. “The prep team has just arrived. We’re all going to wait for the results in the sitting room.”

Reed moved next to Scout, walking alongside her as they followed Geneva to the sitting room.
“Are you nervous?” Scout asked, looking up at Reed.

Reed laughed. “I think I’d be crazy not to be.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you thought(: