Status: This is a oneshot I wrote for my friend Nick from tumblr (:

Backseat Serenade

Backseat Serenade

When I was little, I used to always hate sitting in the back of a car. I absolutely despised it. The same for summer, it was always too hot and the sweat was gross. That was up until a few summers ago, when it all started. You see, I had a few firsts in the backseat and it completely changed my mind.
~
The first encounter was in the summer before 9th grade. I was 14, and it was my first kiss.

It was mid-July, and I was stuck in the back seat of my best friend Alex’s parents van. We were on our way to Myrtle Beach and while I knew the trip would be amazing, sitting in the car for a 10 hour drive was not. We were at a rest stop and while his parents were getting gas, we were stocking up on food. Something had to make this trip more bearable.
“Hey Lex?” I looked up from the bag of sour patch kids I was inspecting.
“Yeah, Nick?”
“Ya know you’re my best friend and all, but if this trip does not kick ass, I’ll be kicking yours. I cannot stand another fucking minute in that car.” I let my lips twitch up into a half smirk, but stayed serious none the less. He chuckled in response.
“I’ll make it up to you. Just wait until we stop again.”
So I did, and it was well worth the wait, and the shitty car ride.
“Nick?” I felt Alex bump my arm, I hummed in response. “I thought you wanted me to make it up to you?” I shifted and turned to look at him. He had a look in his eyes I’d never seen, but before I could question his lips were smashing into mine. I was surprised to say the least, but I quickly responded shutting my eyes and kissing back. It was amazing, my lips were tingling and I had butterflies and I could taste him on my lips; it was a salty-sweet kind of flavor. When he pulled away, our eyes searching each other’s for answers to unasked questions he simply smiled and asked “well, will the rest of the trip be worth it?” I nodded in response and caught his lips in a chaste kiss before pulling away and smiling back.
He took my hand in his and we didn’t talk for the rest of the ride, but it was perfect.
~
After that night, we sealed the deal. We decided to be official, be boyfriends. We were cliché. We held hands and walked on the beach every night and watched the sunset’s together and shared ice cream. We thought it was just because we were down there, that it was just a summer love, but oh were we wrong. It wasn’t until two summers after that until I fully realized that though. The night someone told me they loved me, and I said it back.

I was turning 16 on August 11th and Alex decided he wanted to do something special for my birthday and because it had been just over two years that we had been dating. We settled for camping. We packed a tent and clothes and enough junk food to last a month and piled into now his van, (the same one we shared out first kiss in). We set out and drove for hours listening to All Time Low, Peirce the Veil, Blink-182, holding hands, and making fun of the people we passed. We were going to camp at Cooks Forest so it would take a about a day and a half to get there. So at around 8 that night we drove off on a side road and decided we’d sleep then and get up early. Made sense right? Right. Our sleeping arrangements weren’t the best, because well, it was storming like a bitch outside, and I was freaked the fuck out. Storms and I do not get along. Alex had layed down the drives and passengers set and put a couple blankets over them and pillows on the backseats and those were our beds. He held me into his chest and said soft nothings into my ear to try and calm me down as the storm raged on and on. He stroked my back and toyed with my hair. “Hey Nick?” he asked softly
“Yeah Lex?” I buried my face into the crook of his neck.
“I-I love you” My heart raced, the whole time we’d been together, neither of us had said that to each other yet. I pulled back and looked him dead in the eye, he looked scared.
“I love you too” his eyes softened and he kissed my lips softly and pulled me back into his chest. Despite the storm, sleep found me easy after that, especially with his words ringing in my ears.
~
The rest of the trip was amazing. We cuddled at night and stargazed and it was one of the best experiences of my life. And to be honest, I was growing very fond of the back seat of Alex’s car. But there’s one more thing that made me change my mind. The first night we “made love.”

It was almost the end of summer, Alex and I were 17, and we’d graduated this year. We had about 4 months before we packed up and left for New York to attend college. I was majoring in writing and he was majoring in English, we went hand in hand.
We hadn’t seen each other in about a week. We were both busy with our jobs to make sure we had enough money for when we left, and I’ll be honest, I was really missing him. So when his picture and name lit up my phone screen showing he was calling, I wasted no time answering.
“Hey babe, what’s up?” I tried to play it cool. Failed attempt.
“Nothing love, I miss you and oh God, I’m sick of sleeping alone.” I could hear the smile in his voice. It was contagious.
“I know Lex, me too.”
“Let’s go somewhere. Like last summer. I’ll be over to get you in 10. Oh, and Nicky, I love you.”
So that’s what we did. We drove for miles and miles until we were in the middle of nowhere on an old dirt road in the woods at sunset with You Me at Six playing softly in the background. We were in the backseat like the first time we kissed. He was looking at me with those big brown doe eyes and I couldn’t help the butterflies. I inched forward so our lips were just centimeters apart. “I love you” I said, just barely over a whisper. I felt him smile as he wrapped his arms around my neck while I placed mine on his hips.
“I know, I love you too.” I pushed our lips together, and I felt like I was on fire. There’d always been a spark but never like this. The kiss grew more heated and turned into many kisses with clashing teeth and tongue which turned into a full on make out session and something so much more. It turned into the first time we made love.

It was sweet and passionate and just amazing. I was bottoming and I was scared as hell. Alex kept telling me that if he was hurting me to tell him to stop, that we didn’t have to do this unless I was ready, and that us being together wasn’t just about sex. We’d never had sex before, but that doesn’t mean we didn’t do other things. There were lots of sound proof rooms at school, the showers we spent together were great, and not every camping trip involved just pitching a tent to sleep in. But I knew I was ready, we were ready. He was gentle and loving and he kissed the pain away, and underneath all the lust and his mint toothpaste, I could still taste the salty-sweet flavor I had when we’d first kissed. After all was said and done, we cuddled until almost 2 in the morning before we finally got dressed again and headed back home. We stayed at his that night, both of us still sick of sleeping alone.
We woke the next morning wrapped up in sheets and each other. He kissed the top of my head and whispered out a “good morning beautiful. I love you, last night was perfect.” I smiled and kissed his shoulder blade and snuggled back into him and let my thoughts run rapid.

Which brings us to where we our now, after a nice walk down memory lane. I will stick with what I said earlier, I absolutely love Alex, and the backseat of his van.