Care

Brother

I looked at the clouds finding pictures of guns and devils. I wonder what he seen in them while he was away.

Now Entering Burbank the sign was taunting yet expected for over an hour.

-

“You excited to visit home?”
I didn’t know how to answer so a simple shrug would have to do.

-

We pulled up to the faded blue house; the trees in the front of the first entrance that reached the roof had been cut down. It’s the ones that Mathew would grab onto to glide off of the roof when we used to sneak up there as children. The roof above the driveway still had a missing shingle we used as a mark to see when the basketball made a score. There were different cars littering the yard when we were younger that were used as playthings in our cops and robbers escapades.

“You’re home,” I like the forced smile mom.
“Yeah, when’s lunch?” My mother grunted and James shot me a warning look, I guess I was being rude.
“Hello James,” she embraced him warmly. She always loved James a little too much, she claims he’s the only good thing I’ve done my whole life. Bitch.
“Hey Terry,” James hugged her kindly then she came to me.
“Care Bear.”

-

“I’m going to be so pissed if she calls me by that stupid name!”
“The one your brother called you?”
“She hates me you know?”
“For having your brother’s baby?”
“Adopted brother,” I corrected.
“Does that really help you cope with the rape?” …Dick