Status: Ongoing

Run Smooth

Chapter Six

"You'll need to remove your shoes," Felix said. Desmond obeyed without a complaint, so I did too. Felix escorted me inside and locked the door behind me. I might've been slightly suspicious, had I not been transfixed by the sight before me.

Hats, hats, hats. There were hats on the floor, hats on the walls, hats on the tables; and most importantly, hats on the heads of about eleven others, whose eyes widened at my entrance.

It was dark until Felix hit the light switch, and then the whole of the room was visible. It was a dank little house, with only one other door along the peeling walls, which I supposed led to a bathroom. I felt a strong sense of deja-vu and tried to identify it before it slipped away.

It was the costume shop from my dream! Or at least incredibly similar.

"Amazing, isn't it?" Felix interrupted my thoughts, his bright green eyes sparkling. I nodded and swallowed, finding it hard to believe that I had dreamed about this place, a place I'd never been before. Felix must've mistook my shock for wonder, because his grin widened at my loss for words.

"Cassidy, you're about to take part in something brilliant. You have been chosen to join the Hatters!" The others in the room whooped and cheered at the name, rather than in my acknowledgement. If I wasn't paying close attention, I might've missed it.

"I'm sure you're completely confused, so let's get started so I can explain." Felix straightened his newsboy cap and moved to stand in the middle of the room. Desmond quickly pulled me over to some unoccupied chairs.

"Ladies and gentlemen! Tonight is the Night of Initiation for our thirteenth member! All stand in appreciation of his special day!" Everyone in the room stood and clapped, and a couple cheered.

Wait, his? I'm not the thirteenth member? I glanced at Desmond, and the realization hit me. That's why he was so excited! Today he would be accepted into the Hatters. But what did that have to do with me?

"As you know, the past couple weeks Desmond has fought hard to complete his tasks. He has finally finished his last task and proven himself worthy!" Felix's voice rose. "Hats off to our newest madcap!"

I pulled my baseball cap off quickly, but I guess I didn't understand their ritual, because the moment all hats were off, a majority of them were in the air. I turned sideways and smiled at Desmond, but he didn't even notice me. He was blushing, actually blushing at the attention he was receiving. I looked away quickly.

As Desmond walked to the center of the room and stood with Felix, I felt even more self conscious. I was alone in my corner, and I could feel the members shooting apprehensive glances at me.

All the sudden, the room got quiet. Two Hatters slipped into the doorway I had thought was a bathroom and then quickly emerged. They were carrying a large box, about as tall as Desmond's top hat, and it was decorated with purple and red ribbons. Desmond inhaled sharply, and he seemed to know what the box contained. Again, I felt awkward and out of place.

"Desmond, do you accept this gift?" Felix asked seriously as the Hatters carrying the box approached them.

"I do." Desmond slipped off his hat and fell to one knee.

The Hatters opened the box and reached inside. I knew immediately it was special. It was a top hat, but unlike one I'd ever seen before. It was made of purple silk, and the band was a deep red ribbon. That, however, was not the most magnificent sight of all. Partially covering the ribbon was a gold crown made of thousands of tiny jewels, and it stretched completely around the hat.

The room erupted in cheers as the two Hatters ceremoniously placed it on top of Desmond's head. As he stood, his face shone with pride. I felt a pang of envy. I knew it was the emblem of the Hatters, and I had a feeling I wouldn't obtain mine for a long time.

When Desmond came back to sit beside me, his neck was stiff, as if he was afraid any unnecessary movement would knock his hat off. I mumbled a soft congratulations, and he smiled back. "Thank you, Cassidy," he whispered.

I still had no clue why it was so important that I came, but in the next few moments I found out.

"Cassidy!" Felix smiled from the center of the room. "Would you join me?" My stomach fluttered nervously as I made my way to him. He addressed the members. "As you know, the final task of anyone who wants to be a Hatter is to recruit a trainee after them, so the society is always growing. This lucky girl was Desmond's choice, and he assured me she was perfect." I winced at the word. "For the next few weeks we will decide each task she will need to complete." Felix turned to me. "Cassidy, are you willing to accept and fulfill these tasks, whatever they may be?"

I swallowed. What am I getting myself into? "Yes," I responded hesitantly.

Felix cupped his hand to his ear. "What was that?"

"Yes," I said, with more conviction.

Felix grinned and clapped me on the back. "And a great choice that is!" He seemed to be the only one happy for me, though. "The Hatters will contact you with your first task. Be patient, and by all means, do not mention this night or any of your tasks to anyone. This is a secret society." Felix gestured for me to sit back down.

I was still confused. What was the big deal about this group? What did they even DO, when they weren't recruiting new members? I guess I'd have to ask Desmond. If he'd even tell me. He seemed to be the master of eluding questions.

"This meeting is adjourned. To insanity!" he yelled, and the Hatters yelled back in response.

Right before we exited, Felix grinned at Desmond. "We'll be seeing you at the Rendezvous."

*

Back in the alley, I turned to Desmond. He was wearing his old top hat again, and he was gripping the box that contained his new one tightly. "Okay, explain."

"Cassidy, I don't think I can. It's the Caps and Clogs Society, and the ones inside that building tonight were only the Caps, or as we liked to be called, the Hatters. It's bigger than you think. I haven't even been to my first Rendezvous, so how could I tell you about it?"

I sighed. "I just don't think it's a good idea to walk into this blindly. What were your tasks like?"

"I-I can't discuss that with new recruits," Desmond said shortly. "You'll find out soon enough."

I glared at him. We didn't speak to each other the rest of the way back.

When we got to the corner of Waterways Boulevard, I checked my phone. It was 10:23 pm, and it would be past 10:30 when I got home. I stopped Desmond as he turned to go. "Are you going to be the one giving me my tasks?" I asked.

"No. They will." Desmond tried to pull away.

"Well...do you have any advice for me?" I hated asking it, but I knew he was the only person other than Felix that I knew in the society. And I had just met Felix that night.

Desmond looked irritated. "No, I don't. Look, just because I recruited you doesn't mean we're friends."

I was caught off guard. "So...even after what happened today? And Friday? You stalk me, Desmond."

"I don't stalk you. I was just making sure you were my best choice. And I don't need to anymore." Desmond took his hat off for a moment to run his fingers through his hair. "It was nice to meet your acquaintance," he said rather reluctantly, and then he bowed.

Ever the gentleman. I made no move to bow or curtsey back. "Sure. Bye Desmond."

*

I was exhausted when I finally flopped in my bed. After a moment of waiting for the mattress to stop shaking, my door opened.

Kaeden was standing there in his pajamas, his hair sticking out everywhere. "You're home?" he whispered.

"Yeah," I said back.

"Okay. Goodnight, Cassidy." I caught his yawn before he left the room, and I smiled to myself. However annoying he was, I couldn't forget he was only an eight year-old.

*

I didn't want to get up. I didn't want to go to school. I didn't want to go to work. I groaned as my alarm went off for the third time, and I grudgingly pulled myself out of bed.

Just a glance in the mirror made me aware of how tired I looked. Three days of bad night's sleep, and I felt like a zombie.

"Cassidy!" I heard my mom calling from downstairs. "Come look! I just finished!"

I didn't have the foggiest clue what she was talking about until I hit the bottom stair, and then the smell of bacon woke me up a little. "Really? You did? I wanna see," I yawned.

She escorted me into her studio, where Kaeden was sitting on a stool, spooning some green yogurt into his mouth. "I wouldn't let him see until you came down," she explained. "Now both of you, close your eyes!"

I did as I was told. "Now...OPEN!" she exclaimed.

When I looked at the canvas, the first thing that registered was blue. She had painted the ocean with its unruly, foaming waves. I saw Kaeden and myself, chasing each other along the shoreline, our backs facing the artist. The sun was high in the sky, and the blinding white reflected on the water. "Mom," I breathed, "it's beautiful!"

Kaeden was careful not to touch the painting. "Cass, remember that day? You couldn't catch me," he giggled.

"I do," I said. I could still hear his high-pitched squeal as I threatened to toss him in the ocean. "You were watching us?" I asked Mom.

"I was," she smiled, wrapping her arms around the both of us. "And I thought, 'That would make a beautiful painting.' I can't wait to show your father!"

"He'll love it just as much as we do," I promised.

*

"I NEED. COFFEE!" I moaned, stumbling purposely to exaggerate my point.

Emil laughed. "If you can just hold on till lunch, you'll be fine." He guided me to homeroom, and when we entered, I noticed Char was already there. She was sitting up straight, and when I got closer I noticed she was wearing a faint purple eyeliner to accent her green eyes.

"What's the occasion?" I teased, taking a seat beside her.

She grinned. "You know. Today we're going to survey possible boyfriends." Her voice was excited, but not loud enough for Emil to hear. Still, I waited until Layla entered the room and sat by him to reply.

"Well, you'll have to deal with Zombie Cass today. I'm not doing any match making without caffeine." I stretched my legs out in front of me and slouched in my chair.

"Come on, you don't even have to move. Look, that guy coming in right now? He's cute, don't you think?"

I glanced lazily at the door. It was Sean, a muscular guy, one of the star football players. He had his arms thrown over two of his jock friends, and they were laughing at some joke. "You realize we don't have similar tastes, right?" The guy was good looking, in a bland kind of way. "Plus, he's a jock. Jocks are cocky."

Char rolled her eyes. Then Desmond walked in, casual as ever. "Cass, don't you think Desmond's adorable?" she whispered.

"Um, yeah," I said awkwardly.

"Do you think I'd have a chance with him?"

What in the world? She called him a freak! "Maybe." I tried to act indifferent.

"Then I'm going to talk to him today," she grinned triumphantly.

I should've more paid attention to the alarms going off in my head.