Status: Keep Watch More Soon

The Unraveling

Badly Protected

Michael sat there an unamused look on his face.He wasn't exactly the best person to deal with kids and he knew damned well Craig knew it.He'd purposely grown his hair down past his back just to amuse Leila, knowing the young half demon enjoyed playing with hair.She just kept braiding it and unbraiding it, occasionally asking Michael if he would play dressup.It just felt so immasculating to be a grown man and subjected to playing with a young girl like he was.

"But Mikey, you are so pretty like the pretty man I met in the park.He knew my momma's song and you look a lot like him.You both are pretty." Leila pouted and Michael sighed and held his hand out, giving her a signal that he'd let her paint his nails.She squealed and grabbed her little caddy of nail polish and trotted over to where Michael sat on the floor.

"You know you shouldn't call men pretty.Some find if offending to be called pretty." Michael let out a chuckle at how happy she was and sighed.He remembered vaguely doing this with his younger sister after his brother had disappeared.Without his brother around his life had almost broken down.His mother had spent years upon years searching for his brother only to finally collapse over and die of a heart attack with nothing to show for it.Michael let out another sigh and Leila looked at him with wonder in her eyes.

"Don't be sad, Mikey.He enjoyed being called pretty and he wouldn't hurt me.He knows my momma's song." Leila kissed Michael's hand and he reached over with his unpainted hand and ruffled her hair.He closed his eyes and sat there meditating a bit while she painted his other hand.In a flash his eyes snapped open wide.

"Leila, hide.Now." He bolted up and herded Leila down the hall into Craig's walk in closet, shutting the doors just as he heard the front door collapse.His black painted nails grasped for the baseball bat that Craig had hiding under his bed and he flattened himself against the wall, slowing his breath down so that it could be barely heard.There was a flash of smoke next to him and all Michael saw next was black.