Status: Complete, Hope you enjoy! :)

The Wolf Hound

Chapter Three

The next two days went by extremely slowly, until it was the last day of school. People were giving their friends small gifts and passing notes like crazy, telling each other how much they’ll be missed when they go off to college.

I didn’t bother with that sort of thing, Kathrine and I wouldn’t be leaving Kaleeb at all in this
lifetime. We’ve grown too attached to the woods here.

Instead, I watched everyone else have fun while I sat quietly at my desk with my head in my folded arms.

“Acacia!” I heard someone call.

I looked towards the voice. Kathrine. Of course she would yell my name. For a second there, I caught myself wishing it was someone else, someone new.

“Kathrine,” I spoke unemotionally.

She finished her walk to my desk and glided into the seat to the left of me. I turned slightly in her direction and waited for her to speak what was on her mind.

“Sooo… Conan’s here! He hasn’t gotten much more than a couple stares, maybe you should pass him a note,” she winked.

I rolled my eyes and looked to where Conan sat across the room. He had his head on his left fist and looked bored. He was people-watching too.

“Fine,” I replied.

I quickly scribbled down a short note and gave it to Kathrine to pass to him. Having fun? :)
She passed him the note and sat back down next to me. After a few seconds of reading it, he looked over at us. Kathrine motioned for him to come sit over here, he seemed reluctant.

Then, he picked up his bag and sat in the seat to the right of me. Only a few people noticed the change, most were too busy chatting to care.

“Hey wolf hound,” I said once he got situated.

He looked surprised at my comment, if only for a moment.

“Hey tree,” he replied with that slight smirk of his.

Yeah, I’m named after a tree, and acacia tree. I don’t particularly like it, but there’s nothing I can do about it now.

It was quiet at our desks for a while before Kathrine spoke up. Apparently she found the silence disturbing, unlike myself.

“So, been to the forest lately?” she questioned him without thinking.

I narrowed my eyes at her, a warning not to say any more, before looking at Conan. I caught the last few seconds of his surprise and curiosity.

“Yeah, how’d you know?” he responded cautiously.

“A certain little alpha told me,” she smiled.

I forced down a growl at the mention of me being ‘little’. 5’8” is NOT little! Instead of a growl, I glared, long and hard.

Kathrine must have seen me because her face paled a few shades. Conan didn’t miss this exchange.
Luckily for me, the bell rang, not allowing him to question us. I collected my things and raced off to my locker.

My anger was still noticeable by the time I finished putting my things away. So, instead of going to our table, I opted to have lunch outside. What I didn’t plan on, was running into Conan.

He was resting comfortably on the ground against the school’s wall, his head tilted toward the sun. I stopped walking for a second to take in the sight, he looked like an angel in that lighting.

In the second that I stopped, he opened his eyes. I must have looked odd standing there staring at him, but he just smirked slightly and motioned me over. I obliged, albeit a bit cautiously.

“Conan,” I stated as I sat beside him.

“Acacia,” he replied.

We ate our lunch in comfortable silence, both of us finishing quickly. I got up and held my hand out, offering to throw away his garbage, before walking to the trash can.

When I turned around, there was a girl talking to him. I remember seeing her around school in my previous years, she was always hanging around some guy I didn’t bother to know the name of.

It was only when I reclaimed my seat next to Conan that I realized she was flirting with him. A low growl escaped my throat before I could stop it. Conan froze while the girl gave me a weird look and continued talking, probably thinking it was a burp. The bell cut off her annoying chattering, thankfully.

I was about to go to class when a piece of paper found its way into my hand. Conan caught my eyes and nodded towards the note. The forest. Midnight.