Status: Courtesy of Charles Addams

Providence

“Really, Fester, what kind of an animal do you take me for?” he spat at his brother with a look of injured disbelief. The bachelor tore his eyes from his elder sibling with the slightest of disapproving grunts and shifted to pointedly address the woman who had been rudely misinformed about his person. His every sinew seized.

Fine motor skills were lost on him as he gazed unabashedly at the resplendent beauty seated decidedly much too far away. He was all too tempted to reach out for fear that words would no longer serve in his favor. Instead, he remained stagnant, in a disconcerting state of limbo. His thoughts were nebulous, inexpressible in any way comprehensible to anybody, himself predominantly. His heart was a bird of prey confined to the ivory rails of his ribcage, fighting tumultuously with the immobile constraints of its prison. He desired to do everything, was compelled to, and was at once reduced to nothing at all. It was both the most inconsequential and crucial endeavor of his life to glean the name of the woman with the unattainably long obsidian curls and the massive doe eyes to put the very moon strung up over the horizon to shame. The creature with the most enticingly pert crimson lips ever he had witnessed, the willowy unadorned neck.

© Detective 2012