Withdraw

Preview

"D'you want a cup of tea?" he asked and I nodded.

I looked down at my hands resting on my tights. My nail varnish was chipped, a faded green colour that didn't really match my skin tone, It was Heena's, and I'd let her paint them on Sunday. My tights had a hole in them too, I noted grumpily. It was quite high up my thigh, so I hoped that my skirt covered it. I went through tights like they were disposable.

"One sugar," I said just as he started to open his mouth and ask. He closed his mouth, but a smirk pressed against his lips.

I jumped to my feet and trotted into the kitchen as he grabbed the milk from the fridge. I was particular with tea and didn't want him ruining mine. He shut the door with his arse and passed me the bottle.

Because the space was so small, he was squeezed up right behind me as I finished making my tea. I heard the scratch of a lighter and felt the air shift as he exhaled, smoke drifting past me. I stirred the hot liquid and turned to face him, spoon dangling out of my mouth. I pulled it out with a pop and used it as a pointer, gesturing at my lips until he placed the cigarette between them.

He stayed exactly where he was, eyes fixed on my lips as I took a drag. I leant back on my palms against the checkered counter, the cigarette in my left hand. I tilted my chin up, exhaling slowly towards the ceiling. There were plastered swirls on his ceilings too, and I chuckled, bringing the cigarette to my lips again.

I offered it out to Michael but his eyes stayed still on me. His arms were tight to his side and they didn't move either. I took a tiny step forward into his space and leant into him. The ash built up on the Marlboro but I didn't tap it off, I just bought it to his closed mouth and slowly let it hang.

The ash fluttered to the floor and both of our eyes followed it down.
♠ ♠ ♠
Right now I am 12,000~ words into NaNo, so just a tiny bit behind. I will get to 50k if it kills me.

Here's a preview of my story. I hope you read it when December rolls around and I start posting it for real.