New England Winter

First Last And Only

“It’s cold out here,” I whispered to the man who was pulling me behind him. To emphasize my sentence a cloud of mist followed my words from my mouth.

“I didn’t ask,” he barked back regaining his grip on my little wrist.

We were in the middle of a field, and there was nowhere to run. My car was broken down god knows how many miles away. He was taking me to the filling station. Just down the road to the filling station. But just down the road turned to an hour, then two, and finally two hours, twenty-five minutes and thirty-one seconds later we pulled to this lonely field with a single tree in the center.

I knew this man would be the last person to see me alive. He outweighed me by at least a 100 pounds and stood about a foot taller then me. I knew that I didn’t stand a chance.. Scared didn’t begin to describe what I felt as I was being drug to the tree. If he hadn’t been pulling me, I would have fallen to my knees in desperate attempts to stop the inevitable, but I couldn’t, so I just followed along. Numb, not from the cold, but from the adrenaline running through my body.

He tied me up. Arms hitched together atop the shortest branch of the tree, I froze to death right there. And there they found me. Frozen in place beneath the icy branches, mouth open in my last attempts to scream.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short, I know. But that what it was meant to be,