Skyfall

~Three~

Despite my best effort to look disinterested, the city outside was too interesting. It had been over a year since I’d seen the outside world and a lot had changed. There was more traffic on the eight lane streets, and more hover cars flitting above us than before. The skyscrapers reached into the clouds, and the sun could no longer penetrate the smog the city was generating. Advertisements rolled around the towers, advertising everything from the new ID chip to the newest hover car.

I knew the son was looking at me, probably further assessing his purchase, but I ignored him. This was the beginning of a very unhappy relationship for him.

We pulled into an underground car park situated under one of the tallest sky scrapers. The car glided into place and everyone slid out. I wiggled my toes, trying to get them as filthy in the oil and grease on the concrete as I could; I was guessing there was lovely, expensive carpet inside.

The old man and his son were heading to the elevator, the driver moving the car into the gloom further under the building. I followed the two nobles, and as we reached the elevator, the doors pinged open and a man dressed just as the driver got out.

“Greetings, Mr Nova, young Master Nova,” he started formally. “I’m guessing business went well,” his eyes raked me over. “Sir, the conference has begun on Floor 80; they cannot continue without you.”

“Very well,” Mr Nova replied, making way into the elevator. We followed behind him, and I was delighted to find that the carpet interior was a plush cream. I made a point of wiping my feet on it.

The butler followed us in, passing his hand over a sensor, which read his ID chip and the doors slid closed. The elevator began to ascend at an incredible speed. I was so distracted that I almost forgot about my company and state of dress.

The elevator slowed and the doors opened smoothly. Mr Nova stepped out onto the burgundy carpet and beckoned to his son.

“Louis, with me. Take her to Floor 40.”

The son stepped out without looking back at me. I wrapped the silk gown tighter around my figure as the butler nodded once and then scanned his ID chip again. The doors closed and we began to sink through the building. I glanced up at the butler.

“Voice activated,” he explained. “It recognises Mr Nova’s voice and the floor number, and then waits for an authorized ID chip to be scanned.”

I nodded, trying to act as though I wasn’t impressed. The elevator stopped and the doors opened. This time, the butler got out with me. The hall beyond the elevator was silent, large tapestries hanging from the walls. Patterned carpet lead into the distance, and mahogany panels made up the walls. Doors lead off from the hall, but they were all closed and I got the feeling there was no one else on this floor.

“This is your room,” the butler said, stopping and opening a seemingly random door. “Stay here for now. Louis will come and visit you later.”

I knew what that meant. But Louis was in for a surprise.