Status: This is my first time right a zombie-based story so I hope you like it, it's still a working process and if you find any mistakes or anything. Please don't be afraid to let me know.

Resident Evil: Dead Awakening

Chapter 04 - Innocence

I took a chance to check my emails, and see if there was any news online about the UK, but nothing. Ava had her phone off and Ada had seemed too disappeared, the plane ride was quiet, too quiet. People seemed lost in their thoughts; all you could hear was gentle muttering from a couple people at the back of the plane.
“Ma’am would you like me to take your dishes?” the hostess was at my side once more, her smile seemed genuine at last, perhaps she was mentally blocking what had happened. Trying her best to work her way through the horrors, it was a good thing she didn’t know that exactly what happened at China was going to be happening at the UK only moments apart from each other.
The plane was sailing along and after the 4 hours I had been sat here I was beginning to become tedious, I didn’t know about anything, the situation in China was long gone in my memory now, my eyes were only set on the UK.
“Ladies and gentlemen, we only have another five and a half hours to go until we land in the United Kingdom, please feel free to sleep or walk around. We will keep you updated on any turbulence news,” the captain’s voice seemed different, deeper. I took my chance and clicked the button on my headset sending out a signal for Ada.
“Ada, can you hear me? I need to know what’s going on,” I took my finger off the button briefly waiting for a response of some kind, anything.
“Ada, are you there?” I knew she’d abandon me when I needed her most.
“Kayla?” the reception was bad; I could barely hear her voice, the static irritating my ear with its infernal noise.
“Kayla, if you can hear me, I need you to listen.” I wanted so badly to tell her to shut up for once and let me do the talking, but now wasn’t the time.
“Someone knows you, they’re on the plane, and they’re wounded. Don’t trust them; they know you’re working for me.” She was gone.
Someone knows me, who? These just look like normal people lost in a tragic attack, how can any of these be a threat to me? I took a brief moment to scan my surrounding; I checked both floors of the airplane telling the staff I was stretching my legs. I stayed observant, all air hostesses watched me intently, but for what reason I was unsure.
I kept my eyes peeled for any injuries on any of the staff members the only downside was most of them had been injured in some way or another when rushing to the safety of the plane.
I needed to contact Ada and question her about the person that was a threat to me, who could possibly be a threat on-board a plane that was travelling a nine and a half hour flight?
Could it be the hostess?
Just as she popped into my thoughts she walked swiftly around the corner, her eyes burning with intensity. Her leg had a bandage wrapped tightly around it; tiny spots of blood were trying their best to seep through.
“Hey there, what are you doing up here?” her voice was angelic, innocent.
“I was just stretching my legs; I can’t sit still for quite so long. I don’t know how you do it,” I kept the light atmosphere between us for as long as possible, knowing that sooner or later she would find out who I was, and everything would change.
“Come on then, it’s time for tea now. We want to make sure everyone gets enough food and drink before we land.” Her eyes lit up briefly and then she turned to walk away, I finally got a better glimpse of her bandages; they were blood stained, badly. She’d been shot directly in the calve muscle, they only downside it hadn’t gone straight through.
“Is there anything you would specifically like to eat?” I didn’t want to answer her innocent questions, but I knew better.
“Not really, anything that’ll fill me up please.” I saw her brief nod and then point towards the seating area, and she turned to walk away to the kitchen, two more hostesses eyes were glued to me.
I smiled their way and just as quickly they smiled back, with beaming bright white smiles. They held their end well, that was for sure.
Merely moments later the hostess was back at my side, a bright smile back on her face, as she pulled down the tray for my meal to go on I saw her glance swiftly at my gun, which I kept held tightly of.
“Here we go; we thought soup and bread would be the best thing. We got you the extra-large dish as well so this should fill you up perfectly.” I watched her walk away down towards the pilot’s cabin, her steps strong and powerful as she walked away. She was beginning to slip, she didn’t seem so weak and frail like she was only hours ago.
I began eating my soup as quickly as possible, feeling famished. This meal was a must needed part of my life at this moment.
“Oh, I see you enjoyed it.” Her voice glowered above me, I took a chance to catch eye contact with her, and she seemed pleased.
“It was lovely thanks, how long do we have until we get to the UK now?” a quick glance at her watch and she smiled once more.
“Only a couple hours left, roughly three. We shouldn’t be too long now,” and for the final time she walked away, I didn’t watch her this time I didn’t need to, there wasn’t anything she could do for now. I held onto my holster and settled into my chair, I began to feel the overwhelming feeling consume me. My eyes refused to stay open; I didn’t stand a chance at staying awake. I slipped into a blissful slumber, remembering nothing but warm soup and bright lights.

* * * *

“Fuck, where am I?” I could barely open my eyes they felt like they were sealed shut, once I got them open it wasn’t a site I was expecting to see. The surrounding area was nothing but bleak disaster; the planes wires were dangling from every gap available in the ceiling of this floor, the gas masks were dangling down in front of me. I began to look around, the panic seeping in.
“My gun?” I reached for it immediately, only to feel an empty space there, the hostess?
I unbuckled myself feeling the planes floors tremble beneath my feet; the remaining passengers that were on the plane were terrified, hiding away. Apart from one, a young girl had tried to run only to be struck down by a pole which had pierced cleanly through her stomach, her dress fell lightly around her blowing in a breeze that wasn’t supposed to be inside the plane.
All hostesses were gone from site, no one to help these poor people. A young mum was sat at the base of the pole where her daughter was dangling from, her eyes streaming with tears. I wanted so badly to reassure her, but there was nothing I could do the only thing I could do now was find my gun.
I could feel the sick urging its way up my throat, the sick smell of fresh blood was filling the air. For a moment I felt the same sickness I had when watching the child zombie approach me. There was movement from all around yet there was nothing to be seen, when finally a noise sounded through the vents. The faint sound of someone laughing, and then seconds later the blue fog that overwhelmed China only hours ago was now seeping through into the plane.
“Everyone put your masks on, now!” I grabbed hold of the one that was dangling just above my seat; finally a slight feeling of safety ran through me, they would be safe. These people had been through enough already.
“Okay, don’t take your masks off no matter what anyone says okay, you don’t want to be like those things back in China,” I spoke quickly and the remaining passengers aboard nodded along agreeing. For a moment the plane fell somewhat silent, no sounds only the turbulence.
“Delilah?” the mother spoke, her voice heavily muffled by the mask. Her eyes were glued to the child, she seemed shocked and strained. Then it sank in, the child. Delilah’s arms gradually began to move the cells racing through her body to reanimate it as quickly as possible, the C-Virus a strong form of bio terrorism.
“Oh my goodness, Delilah, are you okay? Can you hear me all right?” her hands were reaching for the child who was beginning to lift her head to meet her mother’s eyes.
I could feel myself moving, prepared to tackle down the mother, the time was moving slowly.
“Please, get away from her,” I held out my hand and came from behind the child, the mothers eyes glued to that of her child, her dead child.
“But my dear Delilah, she’s okay.” Finally the child lifted her head, her eyes faded and lifeless. Emotional ties, the death of people in this situation.
“Delilah!” her yell of joy was piercing, she threw herself at her daughter doing her best to wrap her arms around the child who had been struck down.
“You’re okay,” the pain in her voice had vanished, the site of the child moving and being okay was enough reassurance for this woman.
“Get off of her,” I took a few more careful steps towards the two, everyone’s attention was on us. I could feel the power on my side lacking, I was attempting to battle with a mother who was only trying to protect her child.
“Baby, you’ll be okay. We’ll get you out of this,” the faint noises of the child were beginning to emerge from her throat, gentle grunts, perhaps of pain. She was dead, but perhaps she still felt the pain inflicted on her body.
“Please, listen to me. You have to let her go, she isn’t your child anymore,” I felt weak, knowing full well that what I was doing wasn’t enough. I would have to remove her from the child myself.
I moved gracefully behind the woman, my hands prepared to grasp hold of her at any chance I could get. She had her arms locked tightly around her child’s neck, embraced in her hug. The fog was beginning to fill up the section of the plane we were in, the air becoming thick and slowly difficult to see through.
As I reached out taking my opportunity to take the mother away from her child, the child moved. Her eyes locking with mine, and before I had a chance her teeth sunk into the flesh of her mother’s throat tearing at it with force I didn’t think was possible from such a young child. I couldn’t do anything to stop what had just happened but I took force, grabbing the closest weapon I could which happened to be one of the food trays, I cracked it around the side of the child’s skull. The crunch was enough evidence to know I’d done damage.
“What are you doing, Delilah? Are you okay, speak to me,” the mother grasping at the torn skin that was dangling on her neck still only cared for her child, for a moment I could feel her love only to be reminded that this was going to be the bite that killed her.
I refused to risk any more incidents I grabbed hold tightly of the tray and swung once more at the child’s head only to have the mother claw at me from behind, trying to stop me.
“What the hell are you doing, leave her alone!” her screams of panic were wasted; the blood was beginning to fall effortlessly to the floor as her child screeched out at me in pain.
“She has to die, you’ll have to die soon to,” her eyes glazed over, and for a moment she stopped what she was doing hearing my words.
“What do you mean I have to die soon?” once the child was dead I turned to look at her feeling how cold my facial expression was.
“You’ve been bitten.” For a moment she didn’t understand, none of these people did.