Status: This is my first time right a zombie-based story so I hope you like it, it's still a working process and if you find any mistakes or anything. Please don't be afraid to let me know.

Resident Evil: Dead Awakening

Chapter 06 - Deathly Silent

I held myself back for a moment feeling my weaknesses emerge forward, dragging distant memories from the depths of my mind. My breathing haltered and my mouth dried almost instantly, the woman’s snarls and hisses were deep and threatening, far fiercer than I’d ever encountered before. I watched frozen as her hands flung fiercely in my direction and then I caught glimpse of the company she had. The baby had turned and was buckled safely into the child seat that was placed in the back seat.
The quieter hissing was from the baby and its arms were aiming towards the glass where I was standing, frozen to the spot. The mother still attempting to lung forward whilst strapped into her chair, the fear began to gradually evaporate along with the memories. A moment later I finally allowed myself to leave the area knowing there were other jobs on hand. I began walking away from the car leaving them together, alive.
My surrounding were beginning to grow hugely in size, from smaller homes developing into taller tower-like buildings, I was beginning to reach central London and wasn’t far from the Carlton Hotel. I could feel my knuckles aching from the tense grip I had on it, the pain making its way up through my arm. It was only a few metres away but the noise of a zombie stirred up the quiet air. I crouched quicker than I thought possible but continued moving forward with a reasonable pace, the noise grew in volume as I neared the zombie, as I poked my head around the corner of the lorry I finally understood the reason for the lack of zombies I had encountered on my walk so far, behind the giant Lorry that was blocking the motorway was zombie after zombie walking drowsily along the road heading towards the City Centre.
“You have to be fucking kidding me?” my words were lost to noise of death walking closer than comfortable. I had never wanted more than to be at home with a cup of tea and the television on, the tranquil environment that I could only dream of now. I took one glance at my bat and sighed knowing this was the only weapon I had, it was a depressing thought but I had to tackle these zombies head on.
My first steps past the lorry seemed hopeful as I approached one car and then another one it seemed to be going all right, the zombies seemed stuck or struggling to tackle their way through the gaps of each vehicle.
“Are you crazy? Why aren’t you turning back?” Ada’s voice bellowed through my ear pierce and terrified me, almost allowing a scream to leave my mouth and give away my whereabouts.
“I can’t just stop, I have to save Ava.” I could hear her sigh and for a moment I felt like the walking dead could hear her talking as well.
“Make sure you stay safe, and you only have a couple of miles to go okay? Tackle them and get to safety, darkness is going to be coming soon. You only have a couple hours,” I could feel myself nodding along, knowing she wouldn’t be able see what I was doing. Finally she left my head piece one more time, and I continued moving forward.
I lifted my baseball and swung with a force I hadn’t used in quite some time, as it made contact with the head of a zombie its snarls forced through its throat in shock. Feeling the skull collapse under the impact of the baseball bat the blood began gushing through the wound and before I could act quickly enough the splattered blood began covering my face and torso.
As the zombie flew towards the ground I took one last swing and caved in the remains of the skull that could regenerate the zombie once more.
The zombies surrounding my position soon caught a glimpse of the action that was happening before them and began heading my way, it was now or never. I gripped my baseball bat once more and threw myself forward impacting once more with an oncoming zombie whose hands were thrown forward lusting after the fresh flesh that moved before it.
The sound of a collapsing skull began to become a reassurance to my ears, as it fell lifeless towards the ground, I took my chance and began running forwards knowing my time was limited. I could feel the air begin to nip at my skin as the dreary zombies followed closely; my legs began aching only moments after running, the blood pumping around my body producing the adrenaline rush I so dearly needed.
As I neared a group of zombies I found my lungs gathering the oxygen I would need to slaughter the walking dead that tumble around before me, almost too naturally.
With a tight grip I began to swing the bat repeatedly, the impact cracking the skull with immediate effect and then the blood shower began to fall, each drop a reminder of the dead that was walking towards me eager for flesh. As two more zombies dropped to the ground I began noticing how the cracks in their skulls wasn’t enough to keep them down, as their hands dragged their injured bodies towards me I began to feel the familiar taste and urge of bile moving up my throat with fear.
I took one glance at the road before me there was army trucks not far from where I needed to turn off to head to the hotel; I either fought them or risked the run to some ammunition if there was any left.
I chose option B, I dropped my splintered and battered bat and began the brisk run forwards, the sweat making itself present on my body from the sheer heat of the clothes and the overly active attacks I had been doing, the groans and growls from the zombies began to become a distant sound whilst I pushed forward my hands flinging from side to side as I pushed myself closer and threw myself over the barricade that was blocking my path. I threw myself towards the first dead solider and began digging through his pockets feeling his cold blood-stained flesh brush against the warmth of my own skin. I could feel myself choking at the memory that was forced forwards and pushed it back once more as I did before.
The time was ticking and Ava needed my help but I couldn’t head any further into town without a weapon, bullets even. I watched as a zombie began crawling from beneath a tank its snarls seemed weaker than the others, I soon caught glimpse of the reason why. Its arm had been ripped off from the shoulder leaving nothing but hanging flesh and tendons.
I dug through the soldier’s pockets coming up empty as I moved on towards the next one the zombie began dragging itself with a bit more speed the sheer hunger for flesh pushing it forward. My eyes constantly switched between the two tasks that lie before me, the zombie who I’d have to kill weapon less and the soldiers I had to dig through for some form of weapon. I could see the zombie from the corner of my eye as it moved ever closer and finally with a flutter of luck I felt an army knife strapped to the man’s thigh, as I removed his trousers whilst tackling the dead weight he had I found myself lost for words and sounds as I plunged the knife deep into the soft skull of the zombie, the bone grinding against the blade as the soft insides began creeping through the fresh wound.
The blood splattered against my face once more, I refused to wipe as there wasn’t enough time, with the zombie draped across the floor I began rummaging through the next soldiers clothing and finally came across two guns, an assault rifle with enough ammunition to last me a couple rounds and a handgun with a couple of clips for emergencies.

* * * *

My feet began aching in my boots as they pounded against the ground with each step I took, the turn off had never seems so long. The thought that my sister could be waiting terrified in the hotel room was enough motivation to keep me moving, the only worry I had was that she may be injured or worse.
The guns were strapped to my body and the knife held tightly in my hand, I needed as much silence as I could possibly produce. Otherwise the dead would begin walking in my direction. I could feel the blood on my face which had dried quickly, as I neared the hotel I found myself running faster than I thought imaginable, the silence around me was broken by the sound of my boots thumping along.
I saw the small car park that lead to a much larger one buried beneath the building, I crept alongside the fence keeping a keen out eye out for any lifeless souls walking nearby, I caught a glimpse of something moving in the building just over the road from the Carlton Hotel but as seen as I saw it, it was gone. I refused to investigate knowing that I had to get to Ava. I approached the side emergency door which had been carelessly left open, I closed it firmly behind myself and went straight towards the reception and began digging through the paperwork that lay unorganised all over the desk. I found the list of rooms and began looking at each name until finally I found Ava, she was right she did had a good room.
I began making my way towards the 4th floor, with my knife in hand. The atmosphere that loomed over London was something I never thought I’d see in my life time, I’d hope that it wouldn’t have come to this, the world slowly losing control all thanks to Umbrella and Neo-Umbrella.
I took a glance up the stairwell expecting to see some form of zombie walking slowly down, but nothing they were empty, I took my chance and began running swiftly up the stairs towards the 4th floor, knowing Ava may only be moments away from my help.
With each step my heart continued to pound quicker, producing the adrenaline rush I needed to get me with my sister one more time. I felt myself quaking in fear unsure if she would be okay. Finally the number 4 was directly in front of me, I opened the door that lead to the floor seeing only one zombie far enough away to cause me no harm, I walked along knife in hand and plunged it deep into the side of the zombies skull allowing the blood to cascade from the fresh wound I’d made. As it fell lifeless to ground I began looking for Ava’s room which thankfully wasn’t far from the fire-escape. Ava did always overthink security measures.

* * * *

I opened her door with a smile on my face waiting to see her vibrant eyes glaring back at me, but to be met with an empty room and blood stained walls left my heart empty and fearful. I began digging through the remnants of her room searching for some form of evidence proving she was still alive. There was barely anything until I came around to the other side of the bed to her phone crackled and spotted with drops of blood, her blood.
She’d put up a fight which was brilliant, but who was she fitting?

As I flipped open her phone the first thing I checked was her phone records, which brought up nothing but a missed call from myself, then her messages. There was only one in there, from a woman, someone named Jess. It said:

Hey, what time are you getting here? Everything is going down soon; you don’t want to miss this.
Boys Boys Boys. X

I stared at the text for some time curious as to what this Jess was going on about, was Ava meeting this person now?
I wanted to contemplate the text but chose different and placed her phone into the bag on my back, I felt the need to keep searching until I glanced up at the door seeing a zombie wondering carelessly by until I moved, breaking a piece of already shattered glass. Its eyes moved curiously in my direction, I carried on moving the knife back in my hand, with a firm grip and slight power I was prepared to lung at the zombie only to hear a shot fired from beside it, entering through one side of the zombie’s skull and shooting out the other side just as quickly. Within a second the zombie fell to the ground and it finally occurred to me. I wasn’t alone.
I crouched by the wall with the door opening beside me, I began creeping around slowly only to see a African American woman towering over me with an assault rifle held firmly in her hands pointing directly at my head.
“Who are you and what are you doing here?” her accent was clear and for a moment I wasn’t quite sure if she was African American, but I refused to question there was another task on hand. The woman’s gun pointing at my head was a good start.
“I’m here looking for my sister, have you seen her?” I didn’t want to say my name knowing I’d be giving away too much too quickly.
“No, there isn’t anyone else in the building, well clearly I’m wrong. How did you get in?” I took a glance at her only to see fierce eyes glaring back at me.
“I came through the side door it was wide open, why?” for a moment I didn’t expect her to answer.
“Open? But I barricaded that door a mere half hour ago. I’ve been trying to get this building on lock down just in case there are any survivors I can direct them this way.” Direct them? Was she not staying?
“Oh, well it was wide open are you sure you checked everywhere?” her eyes showed no sign that she was paying attention and for a moment I thought we’d finished talking. Until she moved her gun from my head and held her hand out, I took it cautiously and pulled myself up with a little help from the woman.
“So what’s your name, you never told me before,” I took one look at the petit woman that stand before me, it was now or never.
“I’m Kayla, and you are?” she smiled lightly at me and then spoke.
“I’m Sheva, Sheva Alomar; I’m here on a mission actually, looking for your sister Miss Morgan.”