Sequel: One Apology

One Look

find a way

For the next three days, Daniel and Jasmine would meet after breakfast and head to the same room he’d originally shown her. She didn’t know how strange it was for him to have someone else in the room, but she had kept her word about keeping the training a secret and that was good enough for him. It didn’t matter to him if she tried teaching the other two the same things he taught her so long as they didn’t know he was the one training her.

Anna knew he was training her, but there was nothing to he could’ve done to prevent it as she faded into the room she knew she could always find him in. He let her believe he was doing this to keep Jasmine away from the other boys who lived under her protection. He wanted nothing more than to tell her just how stupid she was and what the consequences of trusting so easily were, but Jasmine would never forgive him if she knew about his part in his father’s plan so he kept his mouth shut. It took him more effort than he cared to admit as she told him how happy she was that he was socializing with at least one person. Jasmine glanced at Anna and him oddly and he wanted to tell her they should just meet some other time when she asked the older woman if she could make sure Emily had someone other than Raven train her.

Knowing the tantrums Emily often had around Raven, Anna nodded and faded from the room, but not before reminding them that dinner would start in an hour. He tried to not let his agitation show as they were finally left alone, calling upon more magick in an attempt to distract himself from thinking too much about Anna daring to come inside the room rather than knock as she normally did. He would’ve succeeded if his blue eyes hadn’t locked with Jasmine’s dark brown ones. Without a word, she walked over and hugged him.

His mind spun as her lilac smell surrounded him. He stood there, terrified of moving, as she pulled back and gave him a small smile. For a moment, he almost told her the truth. He had to swallow as the words threatened to leave his lips, knowing that, after surviving the attack from Gabriel, Jasmine felt protective of the one person who took her in. They had yet to talk to each other about things that bothered them, but she didn’t ask him anything personal and he did the same.

Hour after hour passed as he forced her to use magick to enhance her punches, her speed, and her kicks; mocking her when she would curse at him for fading to a different spot in the room. On the tenth day since they started, she was fading just as easily as he did. He knew it was getting hard for her to keep her excitement to herself, but he promised her it would help more if no one knew just how strong and capable she was. It wasn’t a lie and they both knew that

The only thing he couldn’t stand was Raven’s persistent questions whenever he came into the dining hall. Anna had sixteen children under her protection and the three-story mansion had more than enough space for everyone to hide themselves away, but Raven had noticed the bruises on his arms just as she’d noticed the bruises on Jasmine’s legs and knuckles. Every time she saw him, she would approach and ask him to train her.

Other kids turned to listen and he ground his teeth, blue eyes flashing as she continued to hurl questions at him. Picking up his plate, he stood from the table, determined to put some space between them, but that still didn’t stop her and he threw up a barrier to separate them. Everyone gasped as she walked into it, rebounded and landed on her bum. He saw Jasmine rush over to her and shook his head as he went back to his room.

Daniel worried that she would end up just like Anna; far too trusting and caring while others like his dad used those very things to their advantage.

In three days, Jasmine would learn to hate him.