Status: Finished

We've Got A Lot to Learn

God Knows We're Worth It

I sat in the empty auditorium, my sister and her flatmate beside me as we watched the five boys we called our best friends do the sound check for the show they’d be performing tonight. “No! Jimmy protested!” Louis, wearing sweats, a t-shirt, and beanie shouted at Liam, causing the three of us girls to erupt in laughter. Liam was being the father of the group, as usual, by trying to get Louis to stop fooling around because the sooner they finished sound check, the sooner all eight of us would be able to get dinner before the concert. “Seriously Lou, just finish the song and then we can get food!” I shouted to the boy who I usually pulled pranks with. “Yeah! I’m starvin’!” Niall added. The girls and I giggled. “You’re always hungry Nialler.” Claire, my older sister responded. He frowned while the rest of us laughed. As the laughter died down and Louis finally conceded to Liam’s request, my blue eyes became fixed upon the curly-haired, green-eyed fellow I called my best friend. I was in love with this heartthrob that I called my best friend, though I would never admit it to anyone, not even him.

“Hello? Earth to Len!” My sister called out to me as she waved her hand in front of my face, breaking my stare. I shook my head. “What?” I snapped. “Jeez, don’t bite our heads of Len.” Melissa, Claire’s flatmate and best friend said. I shook my head. “Sorry, I was just-“ I started to say before being cut off. “We know. But why don’t you just talk to him?” Claire asked as the boys went backstage, having finally finished the song they were practicing. I looked down at my feet, a frown spreading across my face. “I can’t.” I whispered softly. They gave me worried looks because they knew Harry and I hadn’t spoken once in the past week. “Sweetheart, you can’t let whatever happened ruin the friendship you have with Harry.” Claire said as Melissa nodded. “Why aren’t you guys talking anyway? You never told us exactly what happened.” Melissa added. I sighed heavily, keeping the tears at bay. “Long story short; he told me he loved me and I didn’t say it back. He left.” I said to them, causing their jaws to drop. “So you mean to tell me that the curly-haired, perverted, adorable little wanker we call our best friend, who it is so blatantly obvious you are head over heels for, tells you that he loves you and you don’t tell him how you feel!?” my sister said, almost in disbelief. I sighed and nodded, putting my face in my hands.

“Len, why didn’t you tell him how you feel? It’s so obvious that you love him.” Melissa said calmly as she placed her hand on my shoulder. “I can’t Melissa. He’ll just break my heart.” I whispered softly before getting up and walking backstage to ask Paul to take me back to the hotel for a little while. I wasn’t all that hungry and would rather just curl up in bed and sleep until I had to be back here for the show. I sent a text to Claire and Liam, to let them know I wouldn’t be coming to dinner with them and the rest of the group and that I would see them at the show. Paul had Preston drive me back to the hotel and I quickly made my way inside, after running through the crowd of fans gathered outside, hoping to get a glimpse of the boys. They shouted to me, asking where the boys were and I just hurried inside, finally breaking down once I was safe inside the elevator.

The tears fell down my face as I made my way into the suite I was sharing with the girls while the boys were sharing the suite next door to us. I fell face first into the fluffy bed I had slept in the past two nights and curled up into a ball, the tears continuing to fall as I drifted to sleep, recalling the argument I had gotten into with Harry just a couple of days ago when we were still in LA…

A Few Days Ago
I was sitting in my hotel room, just tweeting some of the Directioners that were asking questions about how I knew the boys and such while Claire and Melissa were on a double date with Zayn and Liam. There was a knock on the door and I stood, leaving my bed to answer it. I smiled when I opened the door to see my curly haired best friend standing in front of me. “Hey Hazza!” I said as he smiled sheepishly at me, his dimples showing. “Hey Lenny, may I come in?” he asked. I nodded, stepping aside so he could walk in before shutting the door. Something was up; normally Haz would just burst into the room with a huge smile on his face, not ask to come in. I shrugged to myself as I followed him to the living room area of the suite. He sat on the couch and put his head into his hands, his knee shaking. “You okay Haz?” I asked softly as I sat beside him.

“I need to tell you something, but you have to promise me you won’t freak out or run away.” He said softly as he pulled his face out of his palms. “Harry, what is it? You’re scaring me.” I replied quietly. He sighed and stood up. “Len, over the past few months I’ve come to realize something. I have finally come to the realization that I have been fooling myself by getting with all of these nameless, faceless girls. None of them actually care about me, well the real me at least. They only care about Harry Styles, one-fifth of One Direction. They don’t care about Harry, former employee of a bakery in Holmes Chapel. But there is someone who does and who always has. I wish I would’ve realized it sooner that whenever she walks in the room, my heart races and I feel my insides combust.” He said as he paced in front of me. “What are you saying Harry?” I asked softly, my heart racing rapidly. He stopped pacing and kneeled in front of me. “I’m saying, well what I’m trying to say is that, I’m in love with you LennyRose.” He whispered softly, taking my hands in his.

I sat there in shock for a moment or two, not too sure what to say. My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. Before I could stop myself, I found myself saying words that were the exact opposite of how I was truly feeling. “Don’t say that Harry, you don’t love me.” I said in a voice so soft, it would have been a miracle for him to have heard me. He cupped my face in his hands. “But I do, I always have and I just didn’t know it.” He said as he looked into my blue eyes with his green ones. I just shook my head. “You’re just saying that… Just watch, in a week you’ll get tired of me and go on to your next conquest.” I whispered, my voice breaking with each word. “Len, please…” he begged but I shook my head. “I don’t love you Harry.” I said softly, my heart shattering more than it already was. He stood up and I noticed how hurt and broken he looked. Without another word, he left the room, leaving me in tears.

Present
I woke up in the hotel room feeling emotionally drained. Before heading downstairs to the SUV waiting to take me to the venue, I straightened out my clothes and fixed up my hair. Once I was finished, I met with Preston downstairs as he helped me to the SUV and drove me to the venue. When I got inside, I went backstage with the rest of the gang and stood with my sister and Melissa while the boys got ready. Before they went out on stage, we huddled together. I stood between my sister and Melissa, across from Harry. I looked across to him and sent him a small smile when our eyes met. His eyes immediately went to the floor and I felt my heart breaking, knowing I had hurt him. After the huddle, Claire and Melissa led me to the front row to join the hundreds of screaming fans. Soon enough, the five boys the three of us had come to call our best friends were running out onto the stage.

Halfway through the concert, the boys were sitting around the campfire as usual. “So normally we perform a mix of I’ve Got a Feeling, Stereo Hearts, Valerie, and Torn…” Liam began before Niall picked up. “But tonight, Harry wanted to do something a little different.” The Irishman said as he strapped his guitar on his shoulder. “Take it away Haz..” Louis said, clapping Harry on the shoulder. Harry gave him a sheepish smile, he’d been sort of off all night and I knew I was to blame. I hung my head in shame as he started to speak. “A few days ago, I came to realize that I was in love with my best friend, the only girl aside from my mother and sister who has actually ever cared about the real me. But, she’s afraid to be with me because she thinks I would just give up on her. So I’m going to sing this song for her, hopefully she realizes that I’m not going anywhere any time soon. This is a cover of Jason Mraz’s I Won’t Give Up.” He announced, causing the crowd to go crazy and causing me to gasp as Claire and Melissa looked to me with wide eyes while Niall started playing the song on his guitar.

When I look into your eyes
It's like watching the night sky
Or a beautiful sunrise
There's so much they hold
And just like them old stars
I see that you've come so far
To be right where you are
How old is your soul?

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up


Tears fell from my eyes as he sang the song, his raspy voice singing the song I loved so much perfectly. Was he really willing to give me the love he was describing? Or was this just another way for me to fall into his arms so that he could be triumphant and get the girl, just to throw me aside when he was done with me?

And when you're needing your space
To do some navigating
I'll be here patiently waiting
To see what you find

'Cause even the stars they burn
Some even fall to the earth
We've got a lot to learn
God knows we're worth it
No, I won't give up


His eyes met mine as he sang the chorus and I gasped. I knew right away how wrong I had been. I loved this boy, and I knew now that he truly loved me. I could feel the stares of Claire and Melissa on me as I watched Harry singing the song, the boys harmonizing with him as Niall played the guitar.

I don't wanna be someone who walks away so easily
I'm here to stay and make the difference that I can make
Our differences they do a lot to teach us how to use
The tools and gifts we got, yeah, we got a lot at stake
And in the end, you're still my friend at least we did intend
For us to work we didn't break, we didn't burn
We had to learn how to bend without the world caving in
I had to learn what I've got, and what I'm not, and who I am


The tears continued to fall as Harry sang the bridge of the song. “I’ve got to go to him.” I said to myself before running through the row we were standing in and finding my way to backstage. I stood in the wing where I knew the crowd wouldn’t see me unless I walked out.

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up, still looking up.

I won't give up on us (no I'm not giving up)
God knows I'm tough enough (I am tough, I am loved)
We've got a lot to learn (we're alive, we are loved)
God knows we're worth it (and we're worth it)


As Harry started to sing the last God knows we’re worth it, the boys echoing him, I slowly made my way onto the stage. The boys smirked at me as I made my way towards Harry, the girls in the audience going crazy as I tapped Harry on the shoulder. He turned and looked at me wide-eyed.

I won't give up on us
Even if the skies get rough
I'm giving you all my love
I'm still looking up


The tears fell down both of our cheeks as we sang the final chorus together, Harry standing so that he was holding the microphone between us and our foreheads were touching. He lifted one hand to wipe the tears from my face with his thumb as we sang together, the audience and our friends looking on. As we finished the song, I gave him a soft smile. “I won’t give up on us. I love you too.” I whispered softly, not caring if anyone in the room with us heard. He smiled wide, his dimples showing as he moved the microphone from between us, setting it on the stool he had been sitting on. He cupped my face in his hands and he leaned in slowly. Our lips touched, and I knew that what we had was real. When we pulled away, the crowd screaming their lungs off at our little show I blushed. “Now how about that? Looks like we can finally have a trend on twitter for Harnnon!” Lou shouted as the rest of the lads cheered for us. I giggled as I buried my face into Harry’s chest before looking up at him. “I love you.” I whispered. He smirked and kissed my lips once more. “I love you too.” He replied softly before lacing our fingers together and picking up his microphone. “This next one, is dedicated to our five favorite girls; Claire, Melissa, Lennon, Eleanor, and Waverly, even though two of them cannot be with us tonight. Our favorite Ginger Jesus wrote this next one. His name is Edward Sheeran, and this is Moments.” Harry said as he sat me on the stool as the boys began to sing Moments.

Ten Years Later
“Mummy!!!!! Mummy!!!!! Tell Daddy wake up!!!” my three-year-old son, Kyle Patrick cried as he came into the nursery while I burped his one-month-old sister, Darcy Anne. I giggled softly as I finished burping her, and cradled her in my arms. “Okay love, let’s go and wake up Daddy.” I said softly as I followed Kyle as he waddled into the master bedroom that was a couple of doors away from the nursery. All I could see on the bed was a pile of blankets but I saw movement, knowing my twenty-eight year old husband of four years was sleeping beneath them. I shook my head slightly with a laugh as Darcy cooed up to me. Smiling down at her I kissed her forehead as Kyle tugged on my sweats. “Mummm!!” he whine, pointing to the pile of blankets. I giggled softly and went to place Darcy in the basinet beside the bed. “Okay Ky, on the count of three we jump on Daddy okay?” I said softly as I lifted him onto the bed, where I saw the head of curls popping out of the covers. “One, two….THREE!” I said to Kyle as he started to jump on Harry, who quickly woke up and started to tickle our son. My heart soared at the scene before me as I watched my husband and son. “Good morning LennyRose.” My husband cooed to me, kissing my temple as Kyle sat in his lap. “Morning love.” I replied softly. Yeah, it’s safe to say that I didn’t give up on us and neither did he.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments are appreciated :)
written for my little sister, Courtney

~Ashley xx